Forums > Technical Discussion > Black Bush (sparkle poi) construction!

Login/Join to Participate

ring_O_firenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
right ok peps i am new here, and when i origanly joined it was with the intention of finding out a little about black bush poi...but all i found was the normal health warnings and a few un helpful pictures,

so i tuck it upon myself to construct some cages of my own and hope for the best.
the results i have achived are to say the least spectaculer (or i think they are anyway)

now what i have started this thread for is to help anyone else who may have the same problem as i did by providing a detailed guide to construction of sparkle poi.

so just to let me know i wont be wasting my time i will start this guide when i get 25+ replys asking for the guide...just to prove that i wont be wasting my time (or to show the reason i couldnt find a guide is because nobody wants one)

happy replying to all intrested

if it dont burn...theres not enogth fule on it...keep them pumps running boys!

ring_O_firenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
well u replyed in the first few mins...which is a positive sign, i may lower that number but it would be nice to know my work will be appreciated.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
Post it anyway.

Even if no-one's interested now, the next time someone asks, 25 people can all chip in with "do a Durbs".

Which would, of course, only lead them [Old link]

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Black bush poi?

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Firstly I don't think many people know what you are talking about, Maybe you should expand on exactly what black bush poi are? Maybe people here call them some thing different?

Secondly I'm pretty sure people won't be responsive because you post is very aggressive and demanding.

Thirdly Why should people have to beg you to post this information, Either you want to share it or you don't?

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That Blueberry chap talks sence smile

Make the guide, be helpful, expect nothing but thanks biggrin

Also - "Black Bush" poi are a distinct type of sparkley poi dispenser. I'd consider doing a generic sparkley poi construction guide instead so people don't have to buy whiskey biggrin

ring_O_firenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
ah my friend that is where i feel alot of people have been going wrong, as i have devised an equaly effective way of constructing them with out blackbush whisky through the miricale that is empty backed bean tins :P...equaly as good / less then half the price

+ im sure alot of people on here would object to buying and drinking a few bottles of whisky :P its all for a good cause biggrin

ring_O_firenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
sorry if my post seems agressive :'( i did not intend it to be, i am just an incredibly lazy person so rili cant be bothered to sit and write out a (wat im guessing will be) a fairly long post if its not needed

and to everyone i have now made a start on the guide as i was not exspecting the responce i have goten (ok 25 was abit hopefull but i was exspecting it to take at minimum 2 weeks or more to get anywhere close and i have had a fair few just over night so it should be up shortly)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Good luck with it sir smile
I look forwards to reading it.

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
look forward to see how other people have made there's i made a set a few weeks ago before i'd even seen or heard of these, it will be interesting to know where i can improve mine or put a contrubution into improving your construction

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :ring_O_fire

........and to everyone i have now made a start on the guide as i was not exspecting the responce i have goten (ok 25 was abit hopefull but i was exspecting it to take at minimum 2 weeks or more to get anywhere close and i have had a fair few just over night so it should be up shortly)

I hope you'll do us all a favour and, in your guide, make an attempt to also address some of the safety issues of these kind of poi.

I was present during some of the testing and filming of the original 'Black Bush' poi and witnessed some of the very nasty scars on Jo's chest that resulted from the unplanned contacts.

They do, after all, rain molten metal smile

Personally, I wouldn't even think about using them without wearing proper safety eyewear.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ring_O_firenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
 Written by

I hope you'll do us all a favour and, in your guide, make an attempt to also address some of the safety issues of these kind of poi.

well so far I’ve wacked in the usual disclaimer but nothing fancy, i intend to put in some advice on the best ways to use them towards the end i have to say every time i have spun them if have been warring nothing more then a short sleeve t-shirt and jeans (not recommending this to anyone though) more through forgetfulness then stupidity and so far i have had no visible burns, but i guess its only a matter of time rely frown

so what I’m rely saying is that when i have finished the guide if you feel anything has been un said that needs saying ether through my stupidity or general ignorance please feel free to add to it. the way i see it the safer it is the more people will try it and the better it will become smile

thanks

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
One essential safety thing is to stress that they should not be spun near bystanders.

It tends not to be said, probably because you'd think it wouldn't need to be said- that no-one could be so stupid as to not know it.

However, I have personally witnessed someone wander into the middle of a group of spinners and, start churning out molten metal from their home-made 'sparky poi'.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

ring_O_firenewbie
8 posts

Posted:
ah very good point i would have forgotten to put that in.

actually i had a similar problem this weekend i was doing a show for a renaissance and it came to using the poi and even with warnings half the crowds (mostly the kids) refused to move any thither away eventually with some gentle persuasion from some helpers everyone was a safe distance away and i started to spin the poi and with a quick change of wind which had been accounted for while marking out (25ft in every direction) but yet the sparks still made it to where they would have been sitting, how glad i was i had asked tem to move thither for that part of the show

...one man even came and thanked me afterwards as he thought i was exaggerating when i told him he may want to move as sparks would be heading his way.

So thankyou for pointing this out smile

Oh and here is a picture from that show smile…just to show everyone the effect created by my poi design I will be showing how to construct in the guide

https://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t125/bobrob5k/black%20bush%20poi/PICT0091.jpg
enjoy smile

fNiGOLD Member
master of disaster
3,354 posts

Posted:
i thought steel wool was supposed to auto-hyperlink?
EDITED_BY: fNi (1215017766)

kyrian: I've felt your finger connect with me many times
lou kitten: sneaky little meatball..
ezz: please corrupt me more

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
I wrote this ages and ages ago hope it helps please feel free to add any extra information you have gathered. biggrin

[Old link]

or thanks to hop in all its wisdom (because of the obvious dangers) did a quick link thingy as fNi pointed out. wink

Hummm I wonder how many combinations of wire wool are linked. confused

wire wool
sparkly poi
steel wool
steel wire
aggggh big sparking thing of pure DANGER

humm I see the last one didn’t work
ubbrollsmile

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
oh they didnt work tobi sad frown

before i met those lot i thought they'd be a bunch of dreadlocked hippies that smoked, set things on fire ,and drank a lot of tea but then when i met them....oh wait (PyroWill)

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
Hi ring_O_fire I don’t want to sound all old and grumpy but I am so that’s how it comes across.

Written by :ring_O_fire

wacked in the usual disclaimer but nothing fancy

have been warring nothing more then a short sleeve t-shirt and jeans more through forgetfulness then stupidity

Forgetfulness!!!!!!!!! I’m sorry but “stupidity” is the much better description these thing get hot I mean seriously HOT it is molten steel as Dave pointed out.

I once in my stupid younger days grazed my arm once with one of my cages it gave me a full on second degree burn with big pitted marks full of bits of wire.

Have you ever tangled your poi up or hit yourself (if you say no then you are either a poi god or lying) image your worst tangle then add HOT HOT melting metal to the mix!!!!!

I’m sorry if I sound harsh and by all means keep up the good work I for one am very interested in your designs and would love to see them but please be safe.

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
I have a good description of my sparkle poi in [Old link] if you want to see how mine are made, pics included. I could also write more of a guide if anyone wants me to, don't need 25 peeps either. Someone just needs to ask smile

"Runs with Scissors"

Mint SauceBRONZE Member
veteran
1,453 posts

Posted:
link not working takes you to a blank page

ubersmackSILVER Member
journeyman
73 posts

Posted:
? worked for me just now

"Runs with Scissors"