Forums > Social Chat > Is anyone good at ideas for presents?

Login/Join to Participate

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
It's my brother's birthday next week, and I've not got him anything.. The problem is..
a) I've barely even seen him recently (being on the other side of the planet was a factor in this) so I have no idea what he's got. I've never been to his current house, met his current girlfriend.. etc..
b) I have no money. He, on the other hand, will, at that point, have just got his first pay check from a Rather Well Paid Job, I believe.
c) I'll probably have to send it by post.
d) I have to get him something really nice, 'cos he did for me (okay, he gave me money, but I'd just moved house, was pitifully skint, and at that point I couldn't *think* of a better pressie wink )

He'll be 28, is an amateur DJ, just got his first car, and I have no real clue on other hobbies..
Anyone got any inspired ideas? I've been wandering round the shops for ages, but I doubt there's much you can get in Bristol that you can't get in Brighton.. I could make something, but what I have no clue.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Make him a set of sock poi and send the link to the HoP tutorials? biggrin

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
yesterday we went to a wedding and we gave them (among other things) three jars of nutella

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
homemade jam is always a good one, apparently you can make it in a microwave...

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
What about one of the oxfam gift thingys? you can buy a goat for a third world villaige and other similar things on behalf of someone.

Idal for someone who has everything they need/want, and is helping ohers too...

Thats what i asked for from some poeple for my birthday.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the ideas.. smile
I've tried to teach him poi before, he just said 'ahh, I've tried before, it was too hard..' and gave up in 15 seconds..

heartNutellaheart but it's a bit heavy to post..

I'd love to make jam, but don't have any fruit, or a microwave.. I've got some potatos spare.. I could try potato jam- or, hey, homemade vodka! biggrin

I wouldn't be able to afford any of the Oxfam things- and I'm not sure about the goat.. It's a nice idea, but goats seem a very bad choice of animal- yes, they are very hardy, but that's 'cos they eat absolutely *anything* and are incredibly destructive.
To quote Terry Pratchett 'Nothing makes a desert like a goat'..
I'd go for the fruit trees and wells though, if I could afford it- I just can't..

If that's okay with you?

bodhisattvaSILVER Member
my body is a tattooed temple
366 posts

Posted:
heartnutella heart how could you traitor the peanut butter splinter group after its just started

send him some crunchy peanut butter . meditate

when the body is happy the mind smiles

to live a single day and hear a good teaching is better than to live a hundred without hearing such teaching

and everything is measured by the hole it leaves behind

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
why not adopt a sea turtle for him? smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Why not make something?

Keyrings are pretty cheap and simple to make. Just buy a split ring (cost about 10p) and add something to it! You could go online and find an interesting rope knot, or attach a photo of you/something he likes. Pretty cheap to post to.

Or you could write him a poem if you're artistic in that way?

Write him some IOU's for the future and decorate them prettily - like, "I owe you a pint when you're next here",

Or the old school classic mix tape (or Mix CD nowadays) of songs you had when you were growing up together. Along with some photo's and memories?

Buy a cheap plain t-shirt and some fabric paint & get creative? Again pretty cheap to send.

Sew him a bag/wallet, or knit him a hat.

What are you good at? Are you good at drawing? Painting? Sewing? Jewlerry? Music? Writing?

There's so many cheap things to make for presents...depending on what you can do!!

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
I was going to suggest making something for him too...

as hes a dj, perhaps a UV wall hanging? UV paint and a white sheet are all the ingredients you need!

hug sunny

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
carrot cake heart okay, okay, I'm just daydreaming

a swapped test-playboy, set free by NOn, idolizing the tea fairy; Dragosani spiritual freedom agreement reached 18th Sept 2006

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
Cake is always a good idea, especially for birthdays! Get him some fluffy dice for his car! My usual strategy for birthday presents is to keep my eye open the few months beforehand, I usually find something just by being aware of what's on offer.

Kupo!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Caaaaaake..
Okay, I'm going to go get some cake..

Note I didn't say my brother was getting any of it wink

I think I'm getting him a stylophone- I just found a shop selling them, and it's the kind of daft thing that he might like, but is unlikely to have bought..

Plus it's pretty cheap! biggrin
The financial situation got relieved slightly.. or I would have been pushing it to send a card.. eek

Thanks all for the suggestions- I may use some of them later, but I'm cutting it a bit fine to make anything nice and post it in time now.. smile

If that's okay with you?

bodhisattvaSILVER Member
366 posts

Posted:
i bet it's not as cheap as peanut butter !!!
great idea though , i'd be well chuffed if i got one . mind i'd be chuffed if i even got a present . frown

to live a single day and hear a good teaching is better than to live a hundred without hearing such teaching

AurinkoBRONZE Member
hello!
1,034 posts

Posted:
 Written by :bodhisattva

great idea though , i'd be well chuffed if i got one . mind i'd be chuffed if i even got a present . frown

yeah, me too. Even though I've got no idea what a stylophone is.

bodhisattvaSILVER Member
366 posts

Posted:
Its a tiny electronic xylophone made famous by rolf harris hug2

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
What about giving him a book?You don't even have to know what he's interested in-- give him a copy of one of your favorite books, write a nice note inside the cover and say why you like it and why you think he'll like it.