Forums > Help! > Having real trouble connectin my wireless netgear router.

Login/Join to Participate

endoenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Just like it says on the tin.I'm 'Having real trouble connectin my wireless netgear router'. Now where to start

I plug in th cat 5 cable to the Nic- then into 'LAN 1' hole

I plug the cat 5 cable to the 'Internet' hole on the Router

= nothing, no internet for the PC at all, Even when I connect it this way, It's showing the the name of the NIC in network connections (should it 'detect' the router and show the Netgear router automatically?

* What type of network connection should I be creating?

(It seems to think Im trying to creeate a (wireless connection)

*Even when the router is connected as I said I cant get 'into' the netgear screen, you know the one where you type the router Ip.

Like I said I'm lost - I expected a type of 'plug and play'/configure) experience. Also try to create 'new conection and still end up with the ones that were already there (names LAN1 & LAN3) shouldn't it create LAN 4, 5, 6 etc.-is this part of the problem or totally irellevant.

Really appreciate some help/ advice.

Equipment

Netgear WGU624 (second hand)

A NIC card I know works.

Help me set my pc up as the Wireless AP. cheers, anyhelp REALLY appreciated.

RE: question -hope it's in the right area, I'm new forgive it's it's not. confused confused confused

EDITED_BY: endoe (1214465252)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Plug the cable coming from the computer into one of the LAN connections on the router. If its got an "internet" one it sounds like its a wireless router, not a wireless router/ADSL modem. You'll need an ADSL modem, from one of the LAN ports on that you will connect to the "Internet" port which will give your wireless router the internet, which will be passed on wirelessly to your computer after you've configured it using the LAN ports.

Sorry for the disorganised post, I hope you can decipher it and I hope I've not missed the mark.

hug

endoenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the reply

I probably should have said from the start, I have a netgear Wireless rourer AND a Motorola Cable modem 5101. Basically it's 'plugged in right' but I cant get internet on my PC, - the one with said router and modem connected or even get into the router firmware via the routers ip address.

Is there anyway I can definitavely know if my PC is actually even recognising the Router? And any help as far as new connevton wizard being able to create more than the two connections that already show up or is thats how xp works -ie only allowed a certai number of connection types? Thanks for any help.

Basically I just need my PC to 'see' ther router once all plugs are in. What can I do/try - basically whats the stupid pc want from me confused blood, a deal with the devil, a new network connection type confused confused confused

Help me people!!!!!!! ..........please ubbloco

JamethGOLD Member
enthusiast
378 posts

Posted:
I googled the model - Mother Nature's Son is partly right, it is a router alone without the modem so you'll need a modem to connect to the net.

If you can't even connect to the router then something's also wrong between the router and the pc. There's a fair few possibilities. Maybe a reset of the router will do it - relaying stuff through info from other sites would be a bit clumsy, as a first line there's a fair bit of info including how to reset the router here:

https://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgu624.asp

eta: that page also has a fair few suggestions on what to try if you can't connect to the router

eta2: sorry, I was composing the above whilst you where replying. It sounds like the problem it between your pc and the router. This is what netgear have to say about that"

Written by

If You Cannot Log on to Your Router

These steps solve most of the problems with logging on to routers.

1. Connect a computer and a router directly with an Ethernet cable, putting an end in one of the router's LAN ports. Check that both ends are secure.

2. Check the Internet LED is lit. If it is not, troubleshoot the light status, as explained in the manual.

3. Check that the LEDs for the ports with cables are lit. If they are not, try moving the cable to a different port. If there are still no lights, then troubleshoot the light status, as explained in the manual.

4. Check the LED on the Ethernet adapter is lit. If it is not, then troubleshoot the adapter, do not continue with this document. If the Ethernet adapter was not made by NETGEAR, contact the adapter's maker.

5. Select Start > Run. Type cmd. Type ping 192.168.1.1. If there is a message "Request timed out", type ping 192.168.0.1. If that also has a "Request timed out" message, then your computer is not making a connection to the router.

6. Otherwise, your computer is connected to the router:

* Make sure proxies are not enabled. If using Internet Explorer, select Tools > Internet Options > Connections > LAN Settings. Uncheck "Use a proxy server for your LAN....".

* Delete offline contents. Select Tools > Internet Options > Delete Files. Select Delete all offline content, and click OK. (This is to clear any possible previous router log on page.)

* Try accessing with a different computer, or with the Netscape browser, if you have it.

* Delete cookies. WARNING. Do not do this if it's possible Web sites you visit need cookie information such as your logins and passwords.

7. Power off the router, and power it back on again.

8. If you still cannot log on to the router, then do a hard reset on the router. (Described in Forgotten or Lost Router Password.)

9. If you know how, check the computer's IP address and DHCP. The IP should be in the 192.168.0.x range, and DHCP should be enabled.

10. If you still cannot log on, contact Customer Support. For email customer support, click here.

EDITED_BY: Jameth (1214566398)

endoenewbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the replies fellas, I'll try the list aabove, I've been up all night, so I gotta get some sleep. Thanks again, I really appreciate the help fellas. Cheers. wink

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Could be a number of things... could be that your LAN connection on the PC is disabled. Check network settings. Could be a faulty/corrupted driver of the Ethernet connection on your PC, so perhaps rolling back the driver then updating it again could help.

hug

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Set the modem up first.

Do you only have access to the one pc? Try connecting a different desktop or even just a laptop to the MODEM to check that it isnt just a faulty NIC.

I assume that it is setup as follows:

INTERNET -> modem -> cat5 -> router -> cat5 -> PC NIC?

When they are all connected like that, when you log into the router setup page, does it recognise the modem as an attached device?

(BTW - are you on Cable or ADSL?)

Have you got Internet when you plug the modem directly into the computer?

Might sound stupid, but have you really[/i checked the cables? I know it sounds stupid, but numerous times I have said "Oh, it won't be that".. and it turns out to be.
Go check that the cable are correctly connected, and that there isnt any damage to any of them.

When everything is connected, what lights are on, on the modem, the router and the NIC card (there should be a green light that stays on and a yellow light that flashes for data transfer (might be other way round) )

Sure it isnt just a faulty network cable?

(BTW - dont bother rolling back a driver - just let windows find the correct one itself, or install off the disc that might have come with the card smile )

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
If its a corrupted but fully updated driver then it'd need a rollback and reinstall, otherwise it'll just claim its the latest version of that driver.

If the (i) on the wireless router is on, then you know the network cable between the modem and the router is good, so switch that with the one between the router and the PC.

If all of this fails, tell us which lights are on on the modem and which are on on the router, that should give us more info to go off.

hug

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I never, ever roll back drivers.
Just uninstall then reinstall, or simply just reinstall.

smile

NifeliumGOLD Member
journeyman
52 posts

Posted:
shoulda just got a cisco router.
cool

LEAK SPIN