Page:
UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I need to get rid of our current van. Its old, knackered and drinking petrol ( £20 a day or so ubbcrying ).

I commute about 100 miles round trip everyday, so I get through my fair share of fuel. Thus a car would make more sence.
However, we need a van or equipment carrying ability as we need to transport hoops to sell, as well as all the camping equipment.

I can't decide if I want to buy a car (Ford Focus I reckon) and hire a van when we go away (£160ish for 4 days frown ) or if I should just buy a van and commute in that (the position I have is only a temp one at the moment set due end in about 2 months unless they decide to extend).

If its a van, I want a High top Ford transit like this https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...=tab%3DWatching
or this:
https://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?V...A:IT&ih=011

There is a Ford Focus down the road from us, but I don't know how much it will be for insurance. Its the same with the other vans and vehicles though frown

I don't know what I want because I don't know how much the insurance will be, but I don't know how much the insurance will be because I don't know what I want.

Speak your brains after the dotted line smile

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
Get what I have, if you can...

Citroen Berlingo... It's fantastic..

Admittedly, it looks like a Postman Pat van... but you can carry people and stuff, and it's fairly good on the fuel (mine only has a 1.4 engine - or something).

See you soon biggrin

xx

Getting to the other side smile

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Sad though it must have been, I think you've made the right decision so far with this first step hug

I don't have a clue about vans or car suggestions at this point tbh other than get it checked out properly first.

There are plenty of free online insurance quote systems though that you can run through as many times as you like adjusting the vehicle and see what it will be like.

Hate to sound like an ad but the last few years I've found using the AA as a broker has got me the best deal, and the best cover, though as a returning customer I had to haggle a bit in the same vein as returning mobile phone customers don't get the best deals. Most of the advertising ultra cheapo insurance companies I've heard too many specific horror stories of their legal support ditching them (with some it's an extra cost option too), them not paying out, or taking forever to pay.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
How about getting a car for commuting, fitting a towbar, and getting a trailer for when you need to haul equipment around?

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Thanks for the comments smile

Clare - Thanks for the idea, though if we get a van, we might as well get a proper one wink

Yakumo - I'm already insured on my van at the moment, its with Norwich Union via Post Office. It would just be a change to vehicle rather than a new quote. Otherwise I'd have to cancel the current one and get a new one, losing my NCB presumably

misscorinthian - .We had thought of that smile Only thing is that good/ large trailers can cost the same as a good quailty second hand van frown

_Clare_BRONZE Member
Still wiggling
5,967 posts

Posted:
tongue

But this is a car with van capabilities smile

Getting to the other side smile

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
well...Vans are always going to cost a lot to run - especially in stop start and high speed driving. If you get a good car (ie efficient) you will at least not be pinged for petrol driving around a larger vehicle than you need.

Work out exactly how much space you need, a hatchback can hold a lot of stuff with a medium sized trailer you would definitely have enough space to carry what it sounds like you need to carry. I would only recommend Vans for people who put on free parties and festivals or the like...as thats when you really need a big vehicle.

Josh

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
I have a teeeny tiny festiva
https://www.bobjane.com.au/Wheels/PublicImages/ence28.jpg
and love it... I have my staffs and hoops in the back (the seats fold flat so there is heaps of room) and even sleep in the boot (with a piece of board and a foam mattress. I also moved house in it... amazing how much the little beastie can fit. And costs me pennies (cents, actually) to run.

Having said that... looking to sell her and buy a van and a moterbike, since I am about to hit the road for a year or twooo (or ten).

The trailer is an awesome idea. But I also think you will make do with almost any car. Get roofracks and use a big peice of poly-pipe on it for staffs and strap the hoops to it. Easy and cheap.

... simplify ...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure what kind of camping set up you use but i can carry a but load of hoops and show equipment in my little hatch back and still have space for 3 people and a fair wack of camping grear. What is the trick? One of these,

Non-Https Image Link

They are fantastic, I can fit heaps of hoops plus my fire hoop stilts, staffs tent and extra campy bits plus even a bike some times, and beacuse my one is rated to carry three mountian bikes (it is a little diferent to the one in the photo) i can put a fair amount of gear on there with out worrying about the weight.

It works fantasticaly beacuse it means that any aqkward shaped things can go on the back of the car and the things that are efficiant to pack can go in the boot.
EDITED_BY: Blueberry (1214441589)

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
thanks for all the ideas people smile

Blueberry - Thanks for the pic, though unfortunatly, 2 weeks ago when we went to the southern lights festival, we took 100 hoops! eek

Thinking hatchback or estate.
Perhaps a Focus estate biggrin

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Basically we need to be able to carry a complete stall around with us to festivals and as Jon said we had 100 hoops with us at Southern Lights as well as 2 large boxes of hats/bags/clothing. Add to that our camping stuff and you aren't going to get that into the average sized car. If I made and sold something small like Jewellery then maybe yes, but hoops and hoop racks take up a huge amount of space.

What we need to work out though is would owning a car for everyday save us enough money to be able to hire a van for the festival runs and local events... I'm going to be starting weekly classes... Do we have anywhere to store a trailer off road when it's not in use? As a newly qualified driver is Jon ready for towing a trailer? How much more economical will an estate car be than a van? ....

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I have an estate Jon it's an old vectra and has a much bigger boot than the new fords, hoops "just" about fit flat in the back with the seats down. My diesel estate does about 400 miles on a tank (45 litre) you could get a small trailer and a roof box and fit a hell of a lot in.

If you buy an estate take a hoop with you to see how it fits wink a small change in dimensions can make all the difference in mine hoops can lay flat in my mums they can't by about 1 inch and remember if you have a stack of hoops in your boot you can fit a fair size box in the middle of them biggrin why waste space.

My car can fit me, simon, stilt suit, P.A, fire gear, camping stuff, gazebo and some shop stock but to be fair none of the stock are hoops.

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Mynci

If you buy an estate take a hoop with you to see how it fits wink a small change in dimensions can make all the difference

Yup, even with the same manufacturer - a vw golf estate is a very large car and would take most peoples needs, a vw passat estate is a stonking great barn on wheels, and they don't really look all that different from the outside....

I'd be going estate rather than van, other than the big square Volvo ones* estates are nominally aerodynamic these days, which makes a big difference over a van. (Plus I suspect that Mr. Plod sees an estate as being driven by a "sensible" person... And in my time I've been pulled over for being in possession of long hair and a rusty van...). Used estates are also far less likely to have had a.n. random navvy owner regularly loading them with 57 hundredweight of bricks in their history than used vans too.

*Don't buy used Volvo. Yes, sure, they're built like tanks and make you feel nice and safe, but here in the UK Volvo parts are ridiculously expensive...

Petrol or diesel is another consideration... Petrol engines don't last as long. Citroen diesel engines (also fitted in Renaults, I believe) have a good rep, and my VW diesel engine (probably the same engine in Skodas now?) is coming up for 200,000 miles and still happy (and I know others in similar states). Yep, with diesel you lose some acceleration, but so what, you'll be driving a bigass vehicle loaded with stuff, you ain't going to be accelerating quickly anyway...

Towing trailers isn't such a big deal (until it comes to reversing, anyway!), you pretty much just need to take it a bit easy and go wider round corners. Regular towing of heavy trailers isn't so good for your gearbox though.

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
You need to total up running costs either way to compare, if you transfer between insurers they should keep your no claims bonus from the previous insurance don't worry about that.

I usually check insurance through Confused.com then go back to the AA and say "beat that"! They are usually pretty good and it gets me a discount on the AA Home-Start-Relay option.

The two vans you are looking at are pretty different SWB's (short-wheel-base) are more practical if you are considering using the vehicle for comuting and LWB's are just bloody huge! Great for moving kit around - not so good if you want to park in a carpark and pop into town!

The way that fuel prices are going you might be better off getting a mini for every-day and a tranny van for moving kit!

Hope that helps a little smile

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
get a diesel van, run it on veg oil.

you have the stall, i dont think you can consider a car when you have that amount of stuff

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
thanks again all smile

Written by :Nigely Pinky

Don't buy used Volvo. Yes, sure, they're built like tanks and make you feel nice and safe, but here in the UK Volvo parts are ridiculously expensive...

yeah - thats one of the reasons I want to go for a Mk5 Transit. Nice to drive, parts are easy to find and cheap smile

Fearpig - yep, agreed with the SWB/ LWB differences, Im leaning towards the SWB Hi roof anyway... though it is almost 2 grand frown at least it's from a reputable company (by the looks of the pictures - they have lots of other vans) and they are a registered Ebay motor vehicle trader, so should be well serviced and come with a warranty.

Simta - I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention veg oil/ bio diesel. Hippies love as it is better for the environment, mechanics and garages however hate it, because it ruins your engine over time (and then the hippies hate it too, when they have to pay out for a new engine! biggrin )

Im siding with the not going for a car too, like you said about the ammount of stuff we have to carry.

Like I said earlier... I'm becoming more interested in a diesel hi top SWB (short wheel base). Seems the way to go in my opinion. ubbidea

Keep ideas and suggestions coming, they are greatly appreciated biggrin

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :UsedCarOnlyFord

Simta - I was wondering how long it would take for someone to mention veg oil/ bio diesel. Hippies love as it is better for the environment, mechanics and garages however hate it, because it ruins your engine over time (and then the hippies hate it too, when they have to pay out for a new engine! biggrin )
Im siding with the not going for a car too, like you said about the ammount of stuff we have to carry.

there are ways of minimising what it does to your engine (an extra filter possibly) there's someone on another forum i go on who has been doing this for quite a long time with his van and seems quite happy about it. could msg him for more info if you wanted

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
mmm SWB vs LWB - aerodynamically and often mechanically the same - the LWB fits a lot more stuff...eg you could have all your stall stuff, and a camperbed section. If you are going to buy simply for doing festivals buy LWB...Hitops add drag (albeit not *that* much). If I had to choose between diesel and petrol esp, in a commerical, I'd choose the diesel - more reliable and economical, as well as having more torque- which is really what you want in a Van.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
UCOF - hug wishing you a van for birthday biggrin

That would also follow my advice. A van is just so much more than a car and if you have use for it - go for it and calculate how long it will take for return of investment.

Think about your business and activities, think about the help you can offer to friends and family by getting them there and beyond, u-hauling etc.

I for my pat regard a car as a waste of money - but then again the last vehicles I registered for me have been:

Non-Https Image Link

Made a great camper as mine had a cabin on the back... and

Non-Https Image Link

A true beauty, unfortunately not with the stilt-cabin and a engine damage due to a detached oil hose... shrug

However due to new emission regulations, taxes and road toll you don't want to opt for a (semi-)truck
but a van.

Good luck finding the one for you smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
you should do what i did get a van, and a motorbike its the way forward. if your comuting to work go on the bike even a little 125cc can be de-restricted and can do about 80mph insurence will be about £200 for a year tax is only £15 a year and you'd only spend £20 a week on fuel. then you have the van to haul stuff around keep an eye out for auctions i got a great long wheelbase high top ivaco for a great bargain and its big enough to lug my gennie P.A system all my fire stuff a yurt and i still have part of it as a camper

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
How about a ute? (I think they're called pick-ups elsewhere). We have a 75 series landcruiser with a canopy on the back that you can camp in; the tray is slightly larger than a queen matress. If you need to take something to the dump or cart dirt around, take the canopy off and put the tray sides on. If you need security get a solid-side canopy instead of a canvas one. Massively practical, and this vehicle is solely responable for wrenching me away from my long attachment to Landrover and into the hand of Toyota.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

Helen_of_PoiSILVER Member
lapsed spinner
412 posts

Posted:
If you're going to be using it around a city, think about the height of the vehicle. We always have to plan ahead about where to park in a high roof VW camper - multi-storey carparks are completely out, and I don't know what it's like where you live, but almost every carpark here has a height barrier - even supermarket carparks etc, which can make life difficult around town.

Helen_of_Poi

EJC Ireland 2006 Organisational Team

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Eera

How about a ute?

Im no bogan! :P

In seriousnes though, I'd prefer the solid sides and roof, rather than a low-walled fabric covered version. The fabric can sometimes collect water in when it rains (which it does lots of in the UK)

Helen - there are no height restriction barriers where we live thankfully smile

EeraBRONZE Member
old hand
1,107 posts

Posted:
Oh, come on UCOF, you know you look good in flannies and trackie-daks.

Our canopy is actually a welded aluminium job, the only bit of it that's tarp are the side windows, and we have lockable allie flaps to cover them when him indoors is taking his Snap on Tools for a ride. Check out https://www.chieftaincanopies.com.au/tradesman-canopy-gallery.htm

Go the ute! The invention responsable for losing more dogs than any other.

There is a slight possibility that I am not actually right all of the time.

SeyeSILVER Member
Geek
1,261 posts

Posted:
Just get a van thats not quite so massive. I really want one of these for work...

Non-Https Image Link

Spacious (even has 3 seats), economical, will last forever (its a toyota!) but its only as wide as a car and not that tall.

You can even mod it and make it well sick like this...

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

biggrin ubblol

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
That looks like a plastic toy car! biggrin

Besides, it isn't a Ford Transit wink

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
You can tell it's not a transit because it's not rusty ubblol

Jon we have got to get you over this ford fetish.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
some info i got from someone on a diff forum i go on regarding damage to engine regarding veg oil etc...

Written by 'Whitedog@psy-forum'

It all depends on two factors:

1) The type of diesel pump.
There are two basic designs of diesel pump, Bosch, and Lucas.
The Bosch type is fine with veg oil, but the Lucas type doesn't like it. It shoulud also be noted that if you use neat veg. oil (i.e. not mixed with derv), then you should fit a heater into the fuel line, as neg oil is more viscous than diesel, ao can put more of a strain on the pump, espcially in cold weather. Fuel heaters cost around £80

2) The engine - If it is an old style basic diesel engine, then there should be no problem. The diesel engine was originally designed to run on peanut oil, and most non-direct-injection diesels will be just fine running on just about any veg oil. Modern direct-injection engines can have problems with it, however, as apparently, the oil can slip past the piston rings, and condense in the sump, contaminating the lubricating oil, and thus causing excessive engine wear, so it is not a good idea to use veg oil in a direct-injection diesel engine.

My motor is a 16 year-old Mitsubishi 2.8 turbo diesel, and it has been running on a mixture of veg oil (used and fresh) and diesel for over a year now, with no problems. i also know of a few people who have been doing it for quite a bit longer than that.

So the answer really is to reearch the type of engine, and diesel pump, before buying a van which you want to run on veg oil.

Theere is a good deal of information on the net, for most engines, just do a search for the manufacturer's name and "vegeatble oil".
This is also possibly a good starting point: https://www.vegetableoildiesel.co.uk/...base/index.php

Hope that helps

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
I wouldn't search for "vegeatble oil" if I were you... I don't think you'd get a high number of results... wink

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
Something to bear in mind if you do get a van is that London are bringing in the emissions charge in 2010 so it will cost you something like £100 a day to drive large vehicles in London.

Obviously only matters if you are going to be in London a lot though.

"Don't do it naked!"

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
 Written by :UsedCarOnlyFord

That looks like a plastic toy car! biggrin

Besides, it isn't a Ford Transit wink

Toyotas ftw! Loads of nice vans about... and my mpv isn't that dear to run diesel-wise. (insurance is a bit steep though due to the number of seats. And the fact that it's imported. Ok so maybe not such a good option then, ignore me...)

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

Page: