Forums > Social Chat > Advice... how to stop biting my nails?

Login/Join to Participate

VixenSILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,276 posts

Posted:
Ive been biting my nails for as long as i can remember... it's not pretty and ive tried to stop but i cant!!!

Has anyone got any tips? xxx

tHeReS gOoD aNd EvIl iN EaCh InDiViDuAl fIrE, iDeNtIfIeS nEeDs AnD fEeDs OuR dEsIrEs.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I used to do this ALL the time. I've heard putting tape around your fingers helps but who wants to walk around with tape on their nails? You can try using clippers and keeping them trimmed so there is nothing to bite OR you can just like....not bite them smile

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

AgentFangSILVER Member
19 posts

Posted:
Have you tried putting hot sauce on your finger tips and around your nail? That wrked with me (I used to not bite my nails, but the skin around them).

Or you can keep something in your mouth at all times, like gum.

Is the need/longing to bite your nails coming from the urge to have something in your mouth to chew on?

PLUR
(Peace Love Unity Respect)

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
my mum used to put stop'n'gro this icky liquid that tasted worse than nail varnish allll over my thumb to stop me sucking it..i just ended up sucking till the taste wore off and then kept sucking it. Dont think that helped in any way..

although noticing when i was sucking my thumb helped me to stop doing it...

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by : burningoftheclavey

my mum used to put stop'n'gro this icky liquid that tasted worse than nail varnish allll over my thumb to stop me sucking it..i just ended up sucking till the taste wore off and then kept sucking it. Dont think that helped in any way..

hahaha my mum did that to me too! And I did the same thing! kids are smarter than adults think!!! One minute of horrible taste but the rest of the day to suck your thumb!!

As for the nails - do you know *when* you bit them? Bored? Stress? I bite mine when i'm stressed. So right now I'm trying to grow them again after exam season!
I find wearing nailpolish helps. wear clear if you cant get away with colour at school or work. I found that helped even better than colour becuase it was harder to see where on my nail it was to know where i could and couldnt bite!

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

InspirebyFirestranger
24 posts

Posted:
well a close friend of mine used to bite her nails and ended up with a viral fungus growing on the inside of her throat. :/ she went to the doctor and said it was most likely caused by her nail biting. the fungus was grosssss.

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
cover them in marmite smile

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Hypnotherapy. You can get a professional to do it, or you can try self-hypnosis. What Rouge Dragon said about isolating the cause is also solid advice.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Get a job in a microbiology lab where you have to test pig muck, infected onions, potatoes and sour milk. You will soon stop putting your hands up to your mouth let alone bite your nails....

How do I know this? Because I used to bite my nails all the time until I got a job in a microbiology lab.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

GothFrogetteBRONZE Member
grumpy poorly froggy
3,999 posts

Posted:
it took me until i was pregnant with my first son to stop biting my nails, lol, a bit drastic i know but at the time the thought of all the germs,worm egs etc under my nails made me vomit.

Life's too short to worry about where you put your marshmallows

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
...You keep worm eggs under your nails?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I bit my nails furiously for about 20 years then got a job as a builder & stopped pretty much instantly, as there's now nasty stuff under em most of the time.

So, perhaps try scratching around in the dirt smile

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rouge Dragon

hahaha my mum did that to me too! And I did the same thing! kids are smarter than adults think!!! One minute of horrible taste but the rest of the day to suck your thumb!!

hahah! totally! ubblol although i think it did put me off the smell of nail varnish forever..! biggrin

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Hey Vix, i used 'stop n gro' too, you can get it from big supermarkets and boots and stuff, its like a nail varnish that tastes rank. It does actually work, the only prob if you eat stuff with your fingers it can pass on a bit, so if you want to give up crisps too its good wink.

You could try doing something else everytime you get tempted, grab your boobies or something smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
mmmm I used to bite my nails. then I bought some nail clippers and made sure I always clipped my nails when I needed to...now I find that I very rarely bite my nails. tis a bad habit...decide to stop and then actually stop. get rid of it.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

beebuzzinMember
6 posts

Posted:
i always bite the sleeves on my tops, so everytime i feel like chewing i do something else, like playing with poi!!
try it it works! weavesmiley

duvanancient oachkatzlschwoaf
248 posts

Posted:
I agree a 100% with what pyrolific said. Get a nail clipper and you will have nothing to bite on.

bodhisattvaSILVER Member
my body is a tattooed temple
366 posts

Posted:
have your teeth taken out or your jaw wired shut , extreme i know but it'll work . biggrin failing that just keep them clipped so theres nothing to chew it worked for me

when the body is happy the mind smiles

to live a single day and hear a good teaching is better than to live a hundred without hearing such teaching

and everything is measured by the hole it leaves behind

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I was a severe nail biter. A therapist told me to bite them every fifteen minutes by the clock, no matter whether I felt like it or not. And notice what 'came up' mentally and emotionally when I did. Led to some serious and important memory/cleanout about some nasty childhood stuff which I won't share online... and I no longer bit my nails. Unless they are annoyingly long and I don't have clippers handy.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....