Forums > Other Toys > Practice Meteor question about the length of the meteor

Login/Join to Participate

paupe1GOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
I recently purchased the monkeyfist chinese meteor hammer (https://www.homeofpoi.com/shop/productDetails/Monkeyfist-Chinese-Meteor-Hammer) and I'm beginning to think it might be a little long, but then again, I'm no expert on this so it may be the perfect size and I wouldn't even know. I'm 5'5 tall and the meteor is 6 feet tall, as described in the link. I'm just looking for someone to say that it's an okay size, just keep practicing lol. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
It depends on the kinds of tricks you're planning on doing. If it's uncomfortable for you, or you find you can't get used to it, there's no harm in trying a shorter length. Meteor hammers used for combat would have been significantly longer, but the rule for meteors seems only to be that it's like a double-headed poi. I've made one that was about 3.5 feet long just for goofing off and that was ok, but somewhat limited.

See if you can tie the rope in the middle or on one end in such a way that it shortens it without actually cutting it, and see if that feels more comfortable for you without potentially damaging it in case you later find you prefer it longer.

Or you could make your own practice one of a shorter lenght until you decide what works best for you. Like poi, there are no hard and fast rules, and since you're the spinner you get to decide what works best for you. You may decide you want two or more different lengths for different applications.

Good luck!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
i'd advice against tieing a knot in the middle. Just add a knot to each end and keep doing that (keeping it symetrical) until you find a good length

Or just keep practicing with 6'....

Edit: Plus, yer gonna be hitting yourself with it anyways smile it's a really weird, difficult toy
EDITED_BY: Poje (1213800603)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

paupe1GOLD Member
2 posts

Posted:
Sweet, thanks for the knot suggestions I hadn't thought about doing that. smile I originally got the idea to check out the meteor from tying my poi together and playing with that, but of course they were much shorter. I'll find where it's comfortable and take it from there, thanks a ton for the quick replies guys, you were a great help.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
My preference is for the meteor to stretch from your feet to somewhere between your shoulders and the top of your head.

That length seems to be the best compromise and will enable behind-back-passes etc.

Rope meteors are easily shorted with a basic overhand knot on each end near the monkeyfists.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Here's a link to my old meteor vid, using meteors of the length described above, shot in daylight so the moves are pretty clear.

https://www.davidpanther.plus.com/movies/dave_meteors.avi

(Please download it, using right click and 'save as', rather than streaming it, so as to not waste my bandwidth)

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Poje

......it's a really weird, difficult toy

I think a lot of it is about messing around with the length of them till you get the length that's right for you- some moves just don't work well if the length is off, but are fine when it's right.

Other than that, I'd suggest, initially, transferring all your basic poi stuff (weaves, butterflies, turns etc) over to meteors and be patient with the staff-type and one-handed stuff: the poi-type stuff is definitly easier than the staff-type stuff (assuming of course, that you're good at poi).

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I've only done VERY basic poi. So maybe that's why i never really got into meteor...maybe one day ill start up again.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

deadkenndys1105SILVER Member
journeyman
65 posts

Posted:
Im sorry to bump this but what size it you find is best for you. Im 5'6" so im guessing we would use a meteor that would be roughly the same size. I really wanna learn the meteor because I think it is way to over looked and there is a lot that can be done with them.

jarleGOLD Member
Lv15 Ranger
1,489 posts

Posted:
My own meteor is roughly half a foot taller than myself, or long enough to go from one hand to the other with my arms stretched out with just a little left over.

I think the meteor is overlooked on HoP, but there's plenty of videos on YouTube and elsewhere which show that people can do some amazing stuff with them!

Kupo!

FlaymSILVER Member
4 posts

Posted:
I just bought some Colecord and the fluffy poi heads. they are really nice to use, but I find it a little long aswell.
im going to go of a similar way you measure your poi chain.

having one end at the ball of your palm and the other end across to your armpit on your oppisite side and see how that goes.