Forums > Help! > Thread Finding Index

Login/Join to Participate

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Hey, I thought it'd be a good idea to start up a thread specifically for people to help or get help finding other threads. A lot of you folks have been around long enough that you might remember a lot of specific information being shared at certain times, where us newer guys and gals have a lot of the same questions but may be hard to sift through old threads to find specific answers. I mean, certain words are present in almost every thread, fire, staff, poi, wick, spin, but you may be looking for specific answers. Having a thread like this might cut down on the "Do a durbs" answer, since if searches prove fruitless we could ask for pointers from anybody who might remember a specific thread.

Maybe it'll take off, maybe not. For instance, I did a number of searches the other day for spinning off the wicks of a staff, but all of those terms are so general it just came up with tons of threads about staff, spinning, and wicks. What I wanted was advice about spin-off containers for a single-piece staff, and whether it's best to spin off both wicks at once or soak and spin off one end at a time.

If people use this thread I can try to update this first post and keep kind of an index of useful threads as seen in the Moves forums......

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I'll share a couple tips......It'll be interesting to see if people check this thread though......possible future sticky maybe....anyways...

When searching, you can search EVERYTHING or a certain forum, searching a forum that has simularities to your question will cut down on unrelated stuff.

I think you can combine terms, If searching for "Spin off" search "Spin and Off" (any one confirm this?)

Use synonyms. Staff making, building, constructing. Wick making, folding, braIDING, ETC.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
The problem with doing searches like that is that you have to find all the phrases "spinoff" "spin off" "spinning off", or other terms like "excess fuel", then the words "bucket" "container" and "wick" "head" "staff" "stick" "baton" &c. Using combinations of these will come up with every thread on HOP! smile Searching for the terms "spin" and "off" will come up with any thread that has both of those two terms in it, but not necessarily together.

There are actually two different searches on HOP, the Quick Search and the Advanced Search. The former is the one most people use, and is automatic when starting a new thread. The second has only worked sometimes for me, depending on server usage at the time. It seems to take more out of the server than the quick search and often comes back with "Server Busy, try again later." However, it is in general more accurate. You can specify the subforum to search, but you may not know whether spinoff containers for a staff would be in a Staff forum or the Technical forum, or even the Help forum.

I was hoping this thread would be where you could just post inquiries in case your search efforts have proved fruitless, kind of a catchall for thread references. Dunno if it'll catch on though. smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Yes you should. In fact, my vision is that all threads will ultimately lead to this one. Even threads on other forums! cool

Bouncing Baby Pipe!