Wagner13newbie
3 posts

Posted:
Me and my friend spin fire every once and awhile, and we keep our equipment in a small cooler with the fuel and fuel tin. My friend was keeping the cooler in her car and I guess the kerosene can "exploded" (the cap didn't seal all the way) but anyways, kerosene got all over our equipment and was soaking for about a day. We tried spinning a bit the other day, but no matter how much we soaked them, they wouldn't light. Mind you we were testing out Tiki Torch fuel to see if it would work, so that might be it. But I'm wondering if that kerosene soaking damaged it. Anyone know for sure?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Not sure whether I got the story right, but keeping a(n unsafe) container full of Kero in the car is a bad idea.

However, if your wick was soaked in Kero, it should light - there is no reason it shouldn't.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

FearpigSILVER Member
member - tee hee "member"
279 posts

Posted:
Some people advise storing wick in paraffin to preserve them... haven't worked out how its supposed to help but it certainly shouldn't harm them.

What is the Tiki Torch fuel?

"Whats wrong with the cat?" - Mrs Schrödinger

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Is it citronella oil? The Tiki stuff will prolly be harder to light did you try holding the lighter near the soaked wick for an extended amount of time? Maybe the wicks were soaked with water somehow?

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I use citronella oil sometimes and all it is is parafin with citronella in it. Lights just the same as every other lamp oil, fairly easily.

I'm going to agree with everyone here. I'm a bit confused (nothing new there! wink )

I've stored some of my old poi wicks in Kero to keep them from getting brittle and had no problems either, so I don't think that would be it.

I agree with poje, it sounds like they got water logged, as I know some of my wicks that got left in the rain won't soak fuel until they've been fully dried out. Hmmm.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Wagner13newbie
3 posts

Posted:
Thanks, I guess we'll just stick to Kerosene. It was pretty windy when we tried spinning, so it was hard to even get my lighter going.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Consider windsurfing

Non-Https Image Link

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink