Luminous SoulsGOLD Member
36 posts

Posted:
hi. i don't usually say much on here, i'm a quiet observer, but i recently had a bad injury so i am looking for words of wisdom. smile 3 months ago i broke my left arm in 5 places and now i have a metal plate in my arm and a wrist that doesn't work due to nerve damage. i can dance, but i just feel like i suck at poi. it's irritating not to be able to do things i worked hard to learn. i was just starting to perform and i'm feeling slightly discouraged at this set back. for the past 4 years poi has been my escape from anything bothering me and my favorite thing to do. i know i'll keep working at it harder than before; i guess i'm just looking for some encouragement or something. has anyone here had a similar experience? any advice to be offered?
mj

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
While I've had issues with tendonitis or things take me away from my arts for a time, it's nothing like what it sounds you've gone through. How horrible.

I can say it comes back with slow, steady and practice...the same way you learned it in the first place.
Perhaps picking up another tool as well, to help really stretch the range of motion?

Don't push yourself too hard. You don't want to irritate your arm and make it all worse.

Don't let it beat you down, just look at it as an opportunity for refinement and to perhaps develope some moves that are more reliant on arm than wrist. wink

hug

Heal quickly and be well.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Luminous SoulsGOLD Member
36 posts

Posted:
thanks!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"i recently had a bad injury so i am looking for words of wisdom. 3 months ago i broke my left arm in 5 places and now i have a metal plate in my arm and a wrist that doesn't work due to nerve damage. i can dance, but i just feel like i suck at poi."

hug

My friend you got a biological body, not a car.

Take it easy, all it needs is time to heal. The more time and rest you give it (without overexertion and WITH as much rehab as possible) the better it will jump back to where it was before.

Many of us went through something like that and - trust me - your mind stores almost everything that you learned. As for the time being your body simply prohibits you to perform certain movements and pain is a remainder that there is something needing your attention...

Pushing yourself too far might only cause chronic injuries... Please - for your own sake - take it easy.

Here, let me help you pass this time

Non-Https Image Link

wink

Btw - most of the registered members are 'occasional lurkers' - actually I believe they seem to have a life. Something those active members are looking for tongue help goes into hiding wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink