Page:
MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
I dunno about the rest of you HOPpers (those of the local imibibing age, of course), but rum is my spirit of choice.... Just got a bottle of the very delicious Zaya Gran Reserva today. It was a lot spicier than I expected! Anybody try it? It's not a spiced rum, like Sailor Jerry or the Captain, but it has a definite fire to it. I'm sure it'll earn a permanent place on my shelf (hopefully the local shop continues to stock it, though I'm pretty sure I'm responsible for about half of their rum revenue myself)...

Anybody else a fan of the ol' killdevil?

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*just because everyone expects me to be the first to reply in a thread about alcohol* hehe

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Rum is kick ass.

When I drink, which is quite rarely, I often like to enjoy Rum, or brandy. I'm more about the drink than the drinking, me.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
wood's navy rum is my prefered choice its a nice dark rum and its only to be drunk neat or maybe with 1 or 2 ice cubes. I also like to drink captain morgan when its been gently warmed and infused wit vanilla cineman star anise and a touch of nutmeg you cant beat it on a cold winter night

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
I drank too much Captain one New Years Eve....Oh Captain! How I miss you so.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Mmmmmmmm.....rum. biggrin

That, bourbon and whisky are the only 3 spirits left I can drink.

And by jeebus I love 'em!

I like Pusser's rum. It's the stuff they used to give to sailers in the Navy.

Oooh, and a nice bottle of Mount Gay or Havana Club wouldn't go amiss either...

ubblove

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Oh yeah, brandy is the second drink of choice; few things in life are finer than a glass of Armagnac (or pear brandy, which I've only had once but intend to investigate more fully eventually).

So far the two rums I always keep in stock are Pyrat XO and Gosling's Black Seal, the former being on the exquisite and mellow end of the spectrum and the latter being on the rough, piratical end.

Anybody love Dark 'n' Stormies? One of the few soda cocktails I drink frequently (I don't like coke, so rum and coke doesn't work for me), although I've lately begun mixing Captain Morgan with coconut soda, which I find works out much better than using a coconut flavored rum.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Coconut soda!? eek

Wow - that sounds amazing. ubblove We get nothing that exciting this side of the pond.....I like rum with pineapple juice. Or over ice with freshly squeezed lime juice, mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. biggrin

WildThingmiss beelzeboss
41 posts

Posted:
I dont really tried out a lots of rum sorts... im sure no expert...but one thing's sure ....
i put rum in every cake i made.. most of drinks.. cola..tea.. its.. addictive ubblove ..
you gotta try this recipe : RUM PANCAKES smile
make pancakes you like the most.. then take honey , rum, and cocoa in 'dust' (one for chocolate milk) and put them in smth ... honey:rum:cocoa= 2:1:2 ...and mix it well ...you'll get smth like a sirup.. and just put it on the pancakes and enjoy smile

You make my heart sing..you make everything..GROOVEY .. yeah =) xD

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
ubblove Sailor Jerry's ubblove

Gayle.....!

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
WildThing, I'll definitely have to try your rum pancakes. One of the things I've started to experiment with is boiling off the alcohol from Appleton V/X rum; what you're left with is a syrupy, incredibly flavorful goo... There was a tiny bit of Pyrat left in the bottom of one of my glasses overnight and the water and alcohol evaporated, but I had to try the sugar...

It's much better than commercially made rum flavoring or extracts, but I'm working on mixing it with other things... Agave syrup is the best candidate so far. I don't have too much money for boiling away my precious rum, though! smile

Chelly, maybe we're jaded here in landlocked Pennsylvania, but off the top of my head I can name three coconut sodas available at any grocery store, and I believe there are several more at different specialty stores. But we also have a decent Hispanic population in my area so we do have easy access to such flavors. smile But lime juice is always a great alternative - it kept the British Navy afloat for centuries! cool

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
pusser's rum where can i get that i want to get some for my dad he was in the navy from '55 till '84 and he got me onto wood's rum coz he said thats the closest to what he used to be given every day itll be a nice treat if that pusser's is the same stuff he used to get

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

Just_Another_Clownold hand
965 posts

Posted:
Sailor Jerry is preferred Rum at uni, (followed by Spiced Rum), but a shot of Sailor's, shot of amaretto in a half pint glass, with coke and a quarter lime, is a lovely drink to enjoy in the sun. Need to get some more though frown

Q:"How many Jugglers Does it take to change a light bulb?"
A:"One, but another 99 others saying,'I could do that if I only practised more'" biggrin biggrin

Gate Keeper to Shocked_Prawn. None may pass.

WildThingmiss beelzeboss
41 posts

Posted:
Mucky , tell me when you try them out smile ...and yeah...how do you boil off the alcohol.. if you heat up the rum...wont everything go ...away , and what do you do with that rum-syrup ? can it be put on pancakes too eek ?
tell me , tell me ubbloco
ubbrollsmile

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Well the trick is that alcohol boils at a lower temperature than water (roughly 75 C as opposed to 100 C, if I recall), and the sugars and other delicious flavors won't completely evaporate at low temperature. That's how it's distilled in the first place. It helps to have a candy thermometer so you can monitor the temperature of the water. But since rum is roughly 50% alcohol, if you leave only the water it's thicker. Much of rum's flavor comes from the aging process in barrels (brandy and whiskey barrels are commonly used) so you retain that even after boiling off the alcohol.

I'm still working on proportions and other techniques, right now it's very haphazard, although I imagine if you built a still apparatus you could keep the alcohol to make your own high-proof brews or liqueurs if you want. I may do this in the future.

I haven't got enough for pancakes yet - my original idea was to add other flavors and make a homemade, nonalcoholic soda. But here's something I read a while ago that gave me a good chuckle:
https://www.bilgemunky.com/reviews/rum/blackstrap.php

Your recipe, you use chocolate powder for milk? That has sugar in it, yes? Pure cocoa is really bitter.... Oh I think I'll be trying this very soon.

Ever have rum and gunpowder? biggrin

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
 Written by :fire.chef

pusser's rum where can i get that i want to get some for my dad he was in the navy from '55 till '84 and he got me onto wood's rum coz he said thats the closest to what he used to be given every day itll be a nice treat if that pusser's is the same stuff he used to get

We buy it from our local Victoria Wine/Haddows. We used to have to ask for them to order it in, but as my mate and I got through huge amounts of the stuff, they get it for us - so they've definitely got it on their stock list!! Other than that, I'm not sure, maybe asking somewhere like oddbins if they've got/can get it in for you?

hug

Edit: Alternatively - you could google it... wink

You can get some here.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4536.aspx

And here's some info on it....

https://www.pussers.com/rum/

biggrin
EDITED_BY: Chelly (1213701091)

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
nice one for that info there a victoria wine around the corner to my house so i might have to go and check it out. Thanks.

At work i make a nice rum syrup by making a thick sugar stock syrup thats been spiced (equal parts sugar to water with cineman sticks cloves star anise and a pinch of five spice boiled down to half its original level) then add a rum reduction, it works well on almost everything sweet i love it on waffles and ice cream

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

the_mods_stole_my_nameSILVER Member
travelling without moving
1,286 posts

Posted:
it's very rare that i drink rum, but when i do, i always find myself thinking 'why don't i drink this stuff more often?'. Has to be dark rum though, can't stand white or ginger rum. My favourite way to drink rum has to be with fresh orange juice, it's a strange combo, but is very nice! Not being a rum connaseur, i find good old lambs or wood's navy rum does fine!

Heilige Scheiße, Batman kommt!

Reality is just a state of mind which occurs through a lack of lsd

XxX owned by devilsarmy XxX

O.B.E.S.E.

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Fire.Chef, thanks for the recipe! I'll have to try that one out when I make pancakes to try WildThing's!

I used to make a great mango rum glaze, I wish I could remember what went into that one. Basically a standard mango glaze, with added rum, really. I think I'll have to go get another bottle of Appleton's if I'm going to be playing with all these recipes this weekend. biggrin

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

WildThingmiss beelzeboss
41 posts

Posted:
i didnt have my internet for 2 weeks now..so i couldnt answer ... well ...so mucky... i used the chocolate powder for pancakes ..soo sweet smile:) ...hope you tried it ...
...help me out a bit .. lets say i want to have pancakes with this syrupy rum .. i'll make pancakes as usuall..and then...what do i do ? put some rum in a pot * and heat it up until its syrupy ???
*or put some pot in the rum devil
ubblol

bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
I like to slice up some bananas and put them and my rum syrup into my pancake mix.....
mmmmmm, warm bananas,warm rum, and pancakes..... oh my!!!

Spinning makes the world go round

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Well, if you're using just the rum, you'd have to use a massive amount to boil it down and have enough left over for syrup. You'll need to bring it to a boil at some temperature higher than 80 C and lower than 100 C... 100 C and the water will begin to boil, which may make your job complicated.

I have yet to try Fire.Chef's method of adding that reduction to a syrup with spices, but I would imagine that would be the best way to do it. There are on the market imitation rum extracts that you could get to beef it up, but I don't know anything about them.

At this point I can't afford to boil any more rum so until I can spring for more "liquid assets" (har har) I can't make any more experiments. frown Anybody care to set up the HOP Get Mucky Sloshed Fund?? wink

I think for now I'll just stick to adding rum instead of water for those things that it works for...

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

ValuraSILVER Member
Mumma Hen
6,391 posts

Posted:
I used to drink dark rum a fair amount, they have a great one in new zealand which is super dark and is called Caruba rum which I used to love, or a golden rum here that aussie is famous for called Bundaberg Rum (cause its brewed in Bundy)

then all of a sudden I started getting super super angry on rum... dunno why, but cannot drink it any longer...I just get too cranky *sad* frown

TAJ "boat mummy." VALURA "yes sweetie you went on a boat, was daddy there with you?" TAJ "no, but monkey on boat" VALURA "well then sweetie, Daddy WAS there with you"

WildThingmiss beelzeboss
41 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Mucky

You'll need to bring it to a boil at some temperature higher than 80 C and lower than 100 C... 100 C and the water will begin to boil, which may make your job complicated.

..well ..that isnt so complicated.. dont know have you ever prepared cakes where you have to melt down the chocolate.. the point is that if you put it directly into the pot on the fire..the pot-bottom will be hotter than 100 C degrees , and the chocolate will go black and stinky.. so you use 2 pots...in a bit bigger one you put water , and in the smaler one you put chocolate.. by puting the smaller pot into the water , the water will prevent the chocolate geting hotter than 100 C ... .. i dont know can you use it for rum... ..can you ? smile

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
the best way i find to make a rum reduction is to bring it to temp over a realy low heat and start with a cold pan. You dont need to use the bairn-marie method like with chocolate, chocolate only goes dodgy because of the fat content, it seperates from the cocoa mass and splits. for a good rum syrup is to reduce the rum to 1/8 of its original volume then add it to the sugar stock syrup recipe i gave out previously. its hard to give exact reduction to syrup ratio it depends on the rum used but just do it to taste. it is a great recipe though i got paid £60 off my head chef to tell him that recipe and he came from working in a michellin stared resturaunt in london

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Fire.Chef, thanks again for the clarification!

I'd also just add that it'd be a good idea to avoid any overproof rums (151 and so forth), since they've got more alcohol than tastiness.

One of the other things I've used is agave syrup instead of (or in addition to) sugar syrup, since it has a more "organic" flavor to it. But a local store stocks it at a very affordable price so I tend to keep plenty on hand. It may not be necessary, but I tend to enjoy it more. It's also what I use for glazes and things when I can.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

My newest rum just came in; forgive the cheesy backdrop but I thought it'd be appropriate. had to order it since the local shops don't stock it ordinarily... Been waiting weeks for this!

It's Khukri Coronation rum, produced in Nepal, and put in one of the coolest bottles ever, shaped, of course, like its famous namesake. Kuks are some of the most badass knives around, so I had to get this rum.. Also... it's rum!

w00t!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
Sweet!!!

biggrin

Let us know how nice it is....*drools*

hug

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
awsome bottle that, id buy it just for that but i wouldnt be pinning to much hope on the flavour fir me rum has to come from the carribean but still it looks pretty damn cool let us know what its like

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Well, we spend a pretty good chunk of last night trying it... biggrin

The first word that came to mind after the first glass was robust. This is a *thick* rum by any standards. Actually I thought it would be very sweet or molassassey, but it wasn't. It's not dry by any means, but it's very well-balanced. Best part: the aftertaste. It'll linger for quite a while if you let it! Fire.Chef, it's definitely *different* from Caribbean rums! I would assume it's made mainly from molasses, given the texture, but I don't know off hand; but it has a very subtle hint of grain that reminded me of Scotch. My guess is that the cane at that altitude may have a slightly lower sugar content, but that's just a wild guess; they may be importing it from lower altitudes. It's still rum in every way, but it's definitely given me a new look at the rum genre.

If you were fortunate enough to live in a place that stocks it (I believe as of now it's only distributed in NY and CA for the most part, unless you special order it) I would say it's worth it, hands down. My understanding is that Khukri also sells this rum as Khukri XXX in a regular bottle, which is probably cheaper, but the Coronation bottle is definitely a keepsake in itself. If you come across it, get it; it's well worth it. If you want to try a unique (and still delicious) rum, and save a sweet bottle, and you don't mind waiting for a little while, order it. We tried it next to the Zaya; it holds its own against it with ease.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
sounds quite nice i'll have to try it some time, I was at a friends house the other day and he had this bottle of rum that is in the shape of a motorbike i cant remember the name of it though and unfortunatly the worse thing was that i wasn't even allowed to try it as he wont ever open the bottle just keep it as a collectors item, now what i say to that is what a waste of rum just to sit on a shelf in the bottle its made to be drunk not just sit there

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

Page: