bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
I came across a line of PVC clothing recently, but I am concerned as to it's "flamability".... I remember reading previous postings regarding how easy various materials catch fire/maintain fire.... but there is nothing listed as pvc.
Any experts out there???

Thanks
Ben
weavesmiley

Spinning makes the world go round

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
PVC = Very Very Bad, don't do it.

PVC is a plastic and will react the same way as when you hold a lighter to a chip packet except it will probably melt to your skin and keep burning you. I imagin on the list you read PVC would be covered as a synthetic material.

If you would like to get a simmilar look to PVC maybe think about trying leather as it is natural and has far less chance of melting to your skin.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

bentforkxGOLD Member
42 posts

Posted:
Makes sense to me!!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Dunno what you refer to exactly when using the term "PVC-clothing".

According to Wiki:

"In a fire, PVC-coated wires can form HCl fumes; the chlorine serves to scavenge free radicals and is the source of the material's fire retardance."

But I reckon with "PVC" you simply refer to synthetic fibres commonly used in clothing - and especially in those fancy coloured metallic shiny costume kind of stuff...

Yeah, it sucked when I tried to singe off a small string from my costume trousers and thereafter found myself trying to save the entire thing from getting up in flames. I decided not to use it as a firespinning-costume.

There recently has been the indecent of a Russian firespinner whose costume caught fire and she suffered from severe burnings, threatening her life.

Some precautions I would advise before attempting to prepare fire costumes from synthetic fibres, as obviously synthetic fibre does not equal synthetic fibre:

- Check a small piece of cloth (sample) for flammability
- Ideally treat the costume with fire retardant spray and
- Always use a cotton lining inside the costume

But foremost I would advise you to read this article

https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-Fire-Training-Fire-training-and-safety-Clothing-and-Costume-Fire-safety-1_2_140

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
 Written by :FireTom

Dunno what you refer to exactly when using the term "PVC-clothing".

Well, in my mind PVC clothing is the fake/leather vinyl type stuff that female superhero costumes are made out of.
So yes, it may look like leather and be easier to sew etc, but it's basically plastic and it will melt on you.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
"Female Superhero Clothing"... umm

First you confuse and now you start to irritate me, Nat. weavesmiley

However, as long as that stuff doesn't catch fire/ is exposed to excessive heat there shouldn't be much melting... are you talking about latex? (maybe we should consult Maus for her experience in that field)...

wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Spandex, surely?

biggrin

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
https://www.plastics-technology.com/contractors/semi_finished/veekay-polycoats/
PVC leather cloth, scroll down

There's a lot if you search PVC leather... biggrin

SoverntearSILVER Member
journeyman
56 posts

Posted:
I wear allot of PVC in daily life, I was at a bush party one evening and we had to kick out the fire when the cops came. I ended up with a coal hitting my pants and they immedatly melted to my leg. DO NOT SPIN FIRE IN PVC. get leather sure its a bit more expencive, but it will not melt to you and you cna get leather that looks exactly like PVC

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
I find that there's a lot of leather in second hand stores... and then i unpick it all and have leather to work with!!

And sometimes I find things that fit!

BekarPLATINUM Member
Best fire theatre of BY, PL and UA in 2007, Bychyna competition
54 posts

Posted:
We are making performances in fetish-BDSM style. And we wanted to use PVC. But we decided to use a leather clothing. PVC - is Very dangerous.

Bekar.

Best Regards, Aliaksej <span style="font-weight: bold">"Bekar"</span> Burnosenka,<br />Fire and Medieval Theatre <span style="font-weight: bold"> "DiGrease's Buffoon Theatre"</span> <br /> <br />e-mail: bekar@tut.by<br />phone: +375 29 5076263<br />Minsk, Belarus

bentforkxGOLD Member
42 posts

Posted:
Thank you all for the input, don't know why I thought PVC might be an exception to the rule....
Glad I asked first!!!
Thanks again!
weavesmiley Ben