bentforkxGOLD Member
Should I be spinning around my poi, or should my poi be spinning around me???
42 posts

Posted:
Been poing (?) for a while now, and am thinking of moving up to fire.... I noticed the local fire spinners using different types of poi heads, monkey fist, cathedral, isis, etc.
Is there a listing somewhere of the types available, and their pros and cons?
Thanks for the info!!
Bentforkx weavesmiley

Spinning makes the world go round

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
https://images.google.com/images?hl=en&am...sa=N&tab=wi

Google image search of fire poi heads. I'm sure clicking each diff pic will lead to a page talking about it.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Why not just ask your local spinners? Performers generally love talking about their equipment, and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you take your steps into joining the fire community.

As a general rule it's good to start with smaller wicks, as large wicks (and the large fire involved) can be a bit hard to get comfortable with right off the bat. But if you're chums with the local fire twirlers I'm sure they can help, maybe let you try a set or two out?

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

bentforkxGOLD Member
42 posts

Posted:
Thanks Mucky,
I do, and have talked with the locals, I've spun their rigs (without fire), and I have even gone on the web to look into options, choices, etc. Now I am coming to the experts (like you), for their input.
I am careful with my recreational dollars, I'll spend more money for quality, but I like to make informed choices.
Appreciate the input mate!!!
Spin On!!!
Ben weavesmiley

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Well, I made mine; I more or less followed the instructions in HOP's Library using denim from old jeans as wicks in a cathedral stack. The flames were big enough to get your attention, but not huge, and we got about 15-20 burns (using Coleman fuel) out of them before they needed replacement. Kevlar wicks will last a lot longer if you can buy them. As you've had a chance to use other folks' sets you can probably figure out which handles you're most comfortable with. All in all I think mine cost me about $5 and maybe an hour to put 'em together.

Good luck!
EDITED_BY: Mucky (1212784545)

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
My first were .. ha.. I can't even find the right name... the 'tube' ones, where you just rolls the wick around wood/whatever in the center. Someone bought them for me. They were probably only 2 inches long and 1 inch diameter. Now they seem really really small.

They were good to start off with, very small flame, but they go out quite quickly (which is good when you only know a few moves and your arms get tired) but you could never perform with them.

Our troupe uses cathedrals, which we made ourself (so I guess they're cheaper than buying? if we buy a huge amount of wick)

They're easier to make than monkey fist, and I've heard monkey fist hurts more when you hit yourself (though we're basically passed the hitting stage)

So, if you're happy to buy another pair in a years time, then I would suggest the rolled tube ones (another thing about them is you can just add more wicking around and make them bigger when you chose to)... or if you leave a link at the bottom, add another wick to it and make it double headed...

But I prefer my cathedrals now.

snakes/poi of death I wouldn't recommend you using/buying until you have a lot of fire experience behind your belt. Many of them have to be continually swung when they're lit, otherwise you instantly burn your hands...

Thats my 2p, hope it helps!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
You may aswell start by getting the best, go with Isis poi (just replace handles for leather ones)

bentforkxGOLD Member
42 posts

Posted:
See!!
That's the way I am thinking, get the best first,... and stay away from the speciality types until later!!!!
Very informative thread so far!!
Thanks!!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
Spend the money now on decent quality and save later, thats how i always look at things. (unless electronics and other things that fall massively in price)

My first fire poi were monkey fist, oval links and leather handles

KaelGotRiceGOLD Member
Basu gasu bakuhatsu - because sometimes buses explode
1,584 posts

Posted:
Isn't Isis considered a specialty type?

(Just seen them, never played with them)

I love monkeyfists and moonblazes, and I sometimes rock deathstars for performances or special events for huge flame.

To do: More Firedrums 08 video?

Wildfire/US East coast fire footage

LA/EDC glow/fire footage

Fresno fire

bentforkxGOLD Member
42 posts

Posted:
do you figure an Isis head is a specialty because of the size of flame, duration of flame or just the weave type?

Deathstars I can understand, and especially double/triple head fire poi.....would be considered a speaciality fire head.

I understand the roll is the simplest, smallest and quickest burning

Moonblazes are a variation on cathedrals?

and monkey paws are simply monkey paws

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rellizate

I say go for a set of all-kevlar monkey fists. Nice weight flames are not massive, but not tiny. You'll stick with them for years.

I'm no expert in these matters, but this man certainly is. gave me the best advice ever and helped me get a wonderful set of Monkey Fist poi....

rolleyes

pyromania pixie power!