Forums > Beginner Poi Moves > Help with Forward to Reverse 3 bt. Weave transitions + Fountains...

Login/Join to Participate

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
~An elegantly bound book in a language you can't read~
43 posts

Posted:
So I started out my day deciding I was going to learn fountains. I get the whole FWD 3 bt.>Windmill>REV 3 bt. and back again concept but I still can't wrap my head around it. Please try to help a gal out :/.

I can sloppily transition from a reverse to forward weave (no windmill mind you...so that would be a low fountain?) but can't figure out how to transition from forward to reverse.

So basically just want to know how to transition from fwd. 3 bt. weave to reverse 3 bt. weave and back...

I've read old posts and yes...though "Fountain" may come up in 125 different posts I've read them all and can't pinpoint what's holding me back. All of them have out of date links to videos or it's mostly HOP'ers arguing with each other about what a Fountain consists of. I think there needs to be a better tutorial video up here...one that isn't so small, grainy and soundless. Someone needs to recruit "Doyanne" to help!

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” -Alice

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
If your transition from forwards to reverse 3bt is sloppy, work on that. And make sure your windmill (or high reels) are clean in both directions.

The terminology of "fountains" is annoying also, as it's basically a combination of moves, namely weave, windmill, reverse weave. I think it's wrong to name combinations, rather think of movements and the transitions between them rather than limiting yourself to set combinations. That said, practicing a "fountain" will improve your transitions.

I've got a tutorial on youtube about turning with 3bt weaves that you may find useful.

I'll describe what I think would help anyway. On each/either side of your fwds 3bt, open your hands up and leave them there for as many beats as you want. The poi will make two seperate circles in front of you (wall plane), from this position, bring your left hand up and over your left shoulder in a high reel, followed in split-time by your right hand. From these high reels, when your left hand is in front, bring it back down into the position it was in before, where it was making a circle in front of you, and bring down your right hand afterwards too. Then, from this position, swoop your right hand under your left, and you will then be in a position to continue with the reverse 3bt.

As you get more confident, don't leave your hands in front of you to make a beat before bringing them up into high reels, just bring them straight up for a single beat of high reelage, then back down and straight into rvs3bt. As you get better still, try and do it all without leaving a wall-plane.

If you'd like I can make a video showing you how, I understand that the tutorials on this site are of kinda low quality a lot of the time.

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
A video would be great and hopefully very helpful. =)

"If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is, because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary wise, what is, it wouldn't be. And what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?” -Alice

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
This might be a stupid question but, do the poi have to be spinning backwards for it to be a reverse 3 bt.? *cringe*

VaikkukorvaGOLD Member
Spectrum Light Anomaly
2 posts

Posted:
Heya!

I just happened to see your thread LivingLight, and I have just the right vid for you. wink

This is a "turning with 3-beat weave" video from Nick Woolsey, and it really did it for me. Plus, I learned reverse 3-beat weave while I was trying this so I really do recommend all tutorials made by Nick. =)

I hope this helps. Have fun spinning!
EDITED_BY: Vaikkukorva (1212650298)

I don't want the world to spin around me, I want to spin around the world.

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
LivingLight: Yes. They spin backwards.

And that video is very helpful.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Yeah see that's my problem, figuring out how to transition them from spinning forwards to backwards and back so easily.

I thought I had it there for a while but turns out I was still just going forward heh...but I'll get it eventually I'm sure...erm...I hope. It's pretty impossible to try to explain it with words. I just need to spend lots more time with Nick W. wink. Thanks guys!~~~Jess

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Ah yesss and for anyone who stumbles upon this in the future looking for help...here's a video I've also been using.

Kusanaginewbie
23 posts

Posted:
Hi LL,

Perhaps I can offer a few trouble shooting points for fwd to bwd weave transitions and vice versa?

1- I find that the wrist motion while I turn my body to the side isn't as pronounced as if I'm weaving while standing still. If your wrists keep moving at the same pace throughout, you end up speeding the poi that is crossing in front of you bc some of the momentum is carried by your body turning sideways to follow the crossing poi (if that makes sense). Hence, some of the slopiness that I experienced was due to that speeding up and then trying to correct it by jerking the other poi out of trajectory to try and catch it up to the beat of the crossing poi.

2- when turning, "push" your poi with your thumb (assuming you're using a double loop handle). Like, start weaving fwd and when your arm crosses over (say the right for the sake of argument) keep the arc of your poi in line with your right thumb. You can pretend that there's a definite amount of space between your thumb and your poi and that you are "pushing" your poi with your thumb, the idea being to get you to keep your arc straight. It's the same idea as bowling, when you line up your thumb and your wrist to direct your ball.

3- if all else fails, the "sink or swim" approach can work wonders. I couldn't get the left turns at first and it pissed me off so much that one day I decided to close my eyes, take a deep breath and just kept on weaving while I turned. If you just keep moving your hands in pattern, you will find that you can suddenly and magically weave from fwd to bwd. Then it just becomes a matter of repeating the exercise ad nauseam until you have built the muscle memory. At that point, you'll be able to transition in your sleep.

4- Sometimes a visual element helps in learning. If you have glowsticks, attach them to the end of your poi (or splurge on flowlights *g*). When weaving with glowsticks attached, you can see the circles that you make with the weaving pattern, almost like the two strings are actually one long straight string (or a staff). So when you transition from fwd to bwd, the lights will help you see where the gap is bc you will see exactly where you break your circle.

5- How strong are your triceps? Fwd weave is easier bc most people will tend to use their biceps for many everyday life movements, whereas triceps are not used as much (which sometimes give rise to the phenomenon that I like to call "bingo wings", ie that part of the arm that still moves after the lady is done dabbing her card *g*). When I first started bwd weave, I found that I had a hard time bc those muscles were flat out... well, flat out. Some muscle tone will help you stabilize the movement.

6- Rob Zombie's "Living Dead Girl" has the ideal beat to learn this bit. It's not so fast that you can't keep up but not so slow that waiting for your beat makes you hesitate one beat too long.

7- Note: In spite of references to bingo and bowling, I'd like to precise that I'm not yet that old, nor that dorky but that I just like to show a granny a good time. Sometimes that leads to them show me a knitting trick or two... (Ok, never mind: I AM old and dorky. eek redface Wahh!)

Anyhoo, hope this helps weavesmiley

K.

Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and it hold the universe together.

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Kusangi your always so helpful, thank you. I'm going to put my bingo wings to action and see what they can do!

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
I can go fwd to fwd again or bwd to bwd again but my main problem is changing the direction the poi are spinning once I have them over my head or in front of me.

Now to practice yet some more...I love you guys.

FoxxyLoveSILVER Member
43 posts

Posted:
Oh my GARSH! I think I got it!

Kusanaginewbie
23 posts

Posted:
Nicely done!

Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and it hold the universe together.

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Sorry this took so long, I realise that you've probably got this one down just fine now, but in case other people are having troubles, here's a couple of links to videos I made to help you out with this.

3 beat weave turning:

high same-direction reels (windmill):

Fountains:

In that order. Hope they help, if not you then other people who are looking to learn.