Page:
ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
so while reading up on new technologies and products i came across this

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/magazine/11ideas1-4.htmlhttps://

looks like it may have fallen over though since www.rapestop.net/ hasnt been updated since 2006

I think its a great invension as the rapist would have to go to hospital to have it removed and would be reported to the police. However the downside is the device could be worn for consensual sex as part of a malicious act of revenge or cruelty. Thoughts?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Link didnt work....try this one

https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/11/magazine/11ideas1-4.html?scp=1&sq=anti+rape+condom&st=nyt

Edit: So I found this and found it....odd.

Does this mean I cannot have sex with my husband or partner?

"Yes you can, but you will not wear it when you are with your husband or partner in bed, unless you are in a violent relationship and you do get raped by your husband or partner. The choice is then yours whether to wear it or not."
EDITED_BY: Poje (1212517911)

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Spanner

All a rapist would need to do to bypass one of these would be to acquire one of the applicators required to remove it.

I wouldn't wear one.

But now he has to hold her down and perform a procedure without getting kicked.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
How long can you wear one for before using it? As a precautionary thing it seems impractical (given you have to renew it often). If you're getting raped by a partner regularly, how likely are you to actually obtain and wear one of them?
Of course if you walk home alone in a dangerous area it might be a good idea. Provided you have your rapex and applicator with you. It's impossible to say "oh this guy behind me has been following me for 3 blocks now" and then apply it.
I'm slightly doubtful. If you already know you'll be in danger of being raped in the next hour or so, you're probably likely to either be able to avoid the situation or not in the position to get a rapex anyway.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Could someone please copy the text from the article here? I can't read the article since I'm not a member of NY Times and I don't like signing myself up for too much random stuff.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
If you use the second link it seams to work with out having to sign up.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
It may just be because I'm a man, and I've known some emotionally unstable girls in my time who probably would use it for revenge or just outright malicious purposes against boys they feel they have been wronged by or deserve it.

Secondly, rapists who are already of a clearly aggressive and and probably mentally disturbed nature aren't exactly going to react to their penis experiencing sharp pain with "Oh crap, better leave her alone" or any other reaction that doesn't result in an enraged and bloodthirsty rapist enacting his fury at his genital pain upon the poor victim.

Thirdly, it says it's designed for insertion upon the victim feeling threatened, is that really all that plausible in real life rape situations? Plus, should this gain popularity, it's just going to result in rapists forcing the victim to remove it, probably under the threat of violence, either that or carry a remover or penetrating her with something besides his penis prior to the rape to set off the "trap" so to speak.

All of these things kinda make the anti-rape condom redundant, as the condom seems to be impractical, easily misused, easily avoided (with likelihood to increase the trauma to the victim in the process), and not really effective in subduing the rapist and should it prevent rape, it will probably result in the victim being horribly beaten.

That's just my two cents, the prevention of rape is something I'm all for, but I think just a good old fashioned canister of capsicum spray (or pepper spray to Americans), self-defense tasers, or even martial arts. It's a good idea, but there are numerous alternative methods of preventing rape, most of which I feel to be more effective than these anti-rape condoms.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Dr_Birgit

How long can you wear one for before using it?

24hrs according to the FAQ

Written by :NathanielEverist

aren't exactly going to react to their penis experiencing sharp pain

are you serious ... it says that it has to be surgically removed ... SURGICALLY ... if its not removed by a professional it will cause permanent damage

"However, the huge plus-factor is that the discomfort and pain is such, that the rapist would be disabled temporarily, (much worse than a kick in the groin that self-defence instructors teach women!) "

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I don't know if the pain would be such that it would disable them, I guess I wouldn't know as I haven't actually been in that position, but I personally, would imagine that I would be more disabled from a swift kick to the balls than most other things.

LurchBRONZE Member
old hand
929 posts

Posted:
I'm with Nathaniel on this one.. If someone is messed up enough to rape someone, and they get something stabbed in their penis for their efforts the aftermath isn't going to be pretty. You're probably going to provoke an extremely violent response.

But then I'm the type that thinks a .45ACP is a good rape deterrent.

#homeofpoi -- irc.newnet.net Come talk to us we're bored frown

Warning: Please Do Not Jump On The Seals

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
The answer to women getting raped is to get the women to insert a peice of rubber into her vagina and wear it whenever she leaves her locked house?

Screw that.

Rape is not the problem of the person being raped. The shift of responsibility onto the woman (usually, although I suppose it would work for men who feared rape as well?) is damaging.

The exeption, I suppose, would be someone who works in an industry where she is exposed to sexual violence... prostitution, maybe?

I see it as another way of fear and control being given to women, and power being taken away, rather then the other way around.

Other then that, I agree. it is 'interesting'.

hug
x

... simplify ...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Icarus

Rape is not the problem of the person being raped.

really? if someone tried to rape me i would definately see it as a problem

The shift of responsibility onto the woman (usually, although I suppose it would work for men who feared rape as well?) is damaging.

how does it shift responsibility? and from who is it shifting responsibility from?

I see it as another way of fear and control being given to women, and power being taken away, rather then the other way around.

I dont understand how is it different to having say the option to buy a can of mase to defend yourself with? Its an option that is there if you want it.

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Oops... I said "Screw that". No pun intended... although tis making me giggle now.

Sorry
x

... simplify ...

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
SOrry Ben, I totally agree with Icarus.

What kind of world is it when you need to insert something up yourself just in case you get raped. Bloody hell.

The best anti-rape device I can think of is to be as physically fit as you can, scream at the top of your lungs and a good hard knee to the ghoolies.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Lurch

I'm with Nathaniel on this one.. If someone is messed up enough to rape someone, and they get something stabbed in their penis for their efforts the aftermath isn't going to be pretty. You're probably going to provoke an extremely violent response.

I think the point is that the pain is supposed to be severe enough to incapacitate the rapist. A bouncer i used to do martial arts with once said to me that if your in a street fight and recieve a kick to the junk you have about 30 seconds to damage your opponent as much as possible before the adrenaline runs out and you collapse in a heap on the floor. The creator says its supposed to be more painful than a kick to the junk ....

Written by :jo_rhymes

The best anti-rape device I can think of is to be as physically fit as you can, scream at the top of your lungs and a good hard knee to the ghoolies.

in western society perhaps that is the best solution where screaming may frighten a rapists off, what about in less fortunately areas of the world where stuff like

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7420798.stm
UN SEXUAL ABUSE SCANDALS
2003 - Nepalese troops accused of sexual abuse while serving in DR Congo. Six are later jailed
2004 - Two UN peacekeepers repatriated after being accused of abuse in Burundi
2005 - UN troops accused of rape and sexual abuse in Sudan
2006 - UN personnel accused of rape and exploitation on missions in Haiti and Liberia
2007 - UN launches probe into sexual abuse claims in Ivory Coast

happens

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
And assist in educating...

hmmm... while men still see women as beings that will fullful their own sexual gratification then there will be rape. These devices perpetuate the myth that women are defined by their sex... sexuality... whatever. That they must protect themselves against men who can't control their own actions.

Which is bullsh** frown

x

... simplify ...

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Okay... don't know how to do the quote things so bare with me.

Icarus
 Written by

Rape is not the problem of the person being raped.

Ben
 Written by

really? if someone tried to rape me i would definately see it as a problem

Yeah, thats funny. Yep. I can't be stuffed with this one. Read below, if you like.

Icarus
 Written by

The shift of responsibility onto the woman (usually, although I suppose it would work for men who feared rape as well?) is damaging.

Written by

how does it shift responsibility? and from who is it shifting responsibility from?

It shifts the responsibility from the man (who should have a responsibility to not rape women to the women (who now has the percieved responsibility to protect herself from rapists - done by advertising a condom that she can buy to do just that).

Written by

Ben
 Written by

I dont understand how is it different to having say the option to buy a can of mase to defend yourself with? Its an option that is there if you want it.

Because robbery, rape and murder are all different crimes. Mace is designed to stop someone in their tracks... their intent is not part of the equation, although I am sure it has stopped some women being raped. Anti-rape condoms are designed for one purpose. To be worn by women who fear they may be raped.

Women should not have this fear.

Stop defending your sex and think about it. It is something that needs to be understood by everyone. It is not the responsibity of women to physically guard themselved from the possibility of rape. Their only responsibility is to make it clear that it is a horrendous and inhuman act. Same responsibility as every other person in this world.

I wasn't attacking men. I quite like most of them.

hug
x

... simplify ...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

hmmm... while men still see women as beings that will fullful their own sexual gratification then there will be rape.

men do achieve sexual gratification with women though? Are you saying you think that rape is an innate characteristic of humanity?

These devices perpetuate the myth that women are defined by their sex... sexuality... whatever.

Can you elaborate a bit more

That they must protect themselves against men who can't control their own actions.

I lock my front door to protect myself against theifs, while i should be able to leave my house unlocked I dont want to be vunerable to the actions of unsafe people, because i cant control which people are in my area i lock my door, surely protecting yourself is the smart thing to do (in anything).

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

Women should not have this fear.

I agree but we dont live in a perfect world

Stop defending your sex and think about it.

Im not, personally I think rapists should recieve the death penalty but thats off topic

Because robbery, rape and murder are all different crimes. Mace is designed to stop someone in their tracks... their intent is not part of the equation

People you would want to stop in their tracks are people who will not be stopped with reason and present you with an immediate danger, their intent is definately in the equation they are people who are intent on harming you
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1212581830)

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
 Written by

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/in_depth/7420798.stm
UN SEXUAL ABUSE SCANDALS
2003 - Nepalese troops accused of sexual abuse while serving in DR Congo. Six are later jailed
2004 - Two UN peacekeepers repatriated after being accused of abuse in Burundi
2005 - UN troops accused of rape and sexual abuse in Sudan
2006 - UN personnel accused of rape and exploitation on missions in Haiti and Liberia
2007 - UN launches probe into sexual abuse claims in Ivory Coast

happens

Gross eh?

https://arabwomanprogressivevoice.blogspot.com/2007/02/fatwa-chastity-belt-to-protect-women.html

I am sorry this seems to have become directed. I do appreciate you posting it, and know that it is something I feel strongly about, so don't debate on as well as I could... should.

x

Maybe women should just go back to wearing these?

... simplify ...

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Sudan... yeah... great. Why don't we all just let the government and militia there do what they want and donate a quid each so that we can send the women some anti-rape condoms? I'm sure they'll get there no problem and will be delivered to every woman who needs them.

The poster I saw recently says it all. It's a woman with a kid, saying "If I go to the well to get water, they'll rape me. If I don't go, my child will not have water." So, in a country where there's no basic water supply, where people do whatever they want with women and children, do you seriously suggest that "condom" is gonna change a thing? That it's feasible to give enough of them to thousands of refugees to wear EVERY DAY, and who are generally renowned for being just a wee bit difficult to reach and look after given their situation?

When UN peacekeepers - the ones who WOULD be giving out the condoms I suppose - abuse children, how's that going to work?

There was a recent case, I think Tom made a post about it, and one of the comments from the help organisation in question was that there had been 15 complaints and action was taken after years, but "some organisations are really slow". This is an attitude that has to change. If it takes years and 15 complaints to investigate child abuse within an aid organisation and that is considered a fast response, yes, something like the rape condom will only achieve to shift the responsibility down the chain.

So what if someone just likes a helpless person to stroke their bits? Or practices anal abuse? What about beatings?

Protecting yourself is the smart thing, yes. Locking the house makes sense. It won't keep people out who really want to get in though. Rape is not opening an unlocked door at night or when noone's home, rape is breaking through a window and threatening everyone in the house while robbing them.

That condom doesn't protect a woman from being violated and abused in other ways. It may have certain benefits, but there is still a violent penetration involved, an attack, a feeling of helplessness. I can think of very few examples in which it would be available and practical to use.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

IcarusGOLD Member
165 posts

Posted:
Man, its the middle of the bloody night!

and how do you get your quotes so neat? ubblol

Deeeep breath...
Do you mind if I only answer a few... really tired.

I think rape is sometimes percieved as another crime statistic when in reality there is alot of deepness to it... much cultural, historical background to it. Its not like robbery or murder (actually, some murder is probably similar?). It is about the absolute dismissal of another persons humanity. Total power and control... making the other person's needs seem irrelivent. This is the point from which I have to approach the topic from, because that is what rape represents to me.

So if you talk about something that could stop rape... bloody tops! But not if it means women are further segregated. We already fear unknown men. Literally feel tense whenever one approaches at night... We know we can be raped and physically overpowered by almost any man who is seperated enough/ drunk enough/ enough of an a-hole. This is because we are taught by our well meaning mothers and sisters and governments that it is part of being a woman.

But to live every moment of the day with a peice of rubber in my vagina would not make me feel safer. It will remind me with every uncomfortable step that people want to rape me. This would not make me feel strong, safe or equal.

Maybe I'm too tired to be writing this?

Okay... individual points.

Written by

hmmm... while men still see women as beings that will fullful their own sexual gratification then there will be rape.

men do achieve sexual gratification with women though? Are you saying you think that rape is an innate characteristic of humanity?

Depends

I think monkeys rape each other. I think we are born doing exactly what we want and this includes possesing things instantly... breastmilk, candy, later - women.

I think we are taught differently. I guess this is where humanity comes in. I think it is inhuman to rape... so I guess the the action of rape cannot be a innate charactoristic of humanity? I also think most people who rape, know it is an act of 'evil'

Culture clouds this a little though. Certainly some men are brought up thinking its a right to possess women...

Written by

These devices perpetuate the myth that women are defined by their sex... sexuality... whatever.

ben
Can you elaborate a bit more

Actually, no. I too tried... wrote heaps and then deleted it because it was ramblings.

I think I have reached my limits. Sorry.

Will awake refreshed and ready to take on the perceptions of the world tomorrow though! Need a cape, and a catch-phrase!

Hey... on another note...
https://www.physorg.com/news131778375.html
I am starting another thread... didn't mean to do the off topic thing... but another condom article appeared when I was doing a last check of my emails.

hug

x

... simplify ...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

I'm sure they'll get there no problem and will be delivered to every woman who needs them.

even if it only reached one woman who needed it wouldnt it go a good thing?

where people do whatever they want with women and children, do you seriously suggest that "condom" is gonna change a thing?

any form of deterent is better than no deterent particularly if it requires surgical removal to prevent permanent damage, having to go to hospital and fess up, in a resource poor country repeat offenders could be denied treatment ...

That it's feasible to give enough of them to thousands of refugees to wear EVERY DAY, and who are generally renowned for being just a wee bit difficult to reach and look after given their situation?

mass manufacture makes for low unit prices, governments spend huge amounts on aid, if the US government contributed 0.0001% of its $700 billion defense budget it wouldnt be a problem to supply most of the world.

When UN peacekeepers - the ones who WOULD be giving out the condoms I suppose - abuse children, how's that going to work?

not ALL peacekeepers abuse children

So what if someone just likes a helpless person to stroke their bits? Or practices anal abuse? What about beatings?

its not the solution to the worlds problems .... im not sure what gave you the impression that I thought it was .... im simply saying that it is an option that could help SOME people, surely it would be useful to the women you mentioned who get raped going to the river to get water for their families ..... possibly there would be retribution but atleast they have another option apart from being raped.

That condom doesn't protect a woman from being violated and abused in other ways.

this is true, there was never a claim that it did

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
In countries of the nature you are speaking, "fessing up" in a hospital to rape probably isn't going to do much. In nations as corrupt as Sudan and other African nations, you've got to realise, that these people aren't afraid of the police, because they ARE the police, in fact worse, they're the military. After having the spikes surgically removed, they're probably just going to load their AKs and return to the woman's village or whatever with a vengeance, that's if they didn't shoot her in the head the moment they realised that through her actions she has potentially caused permanent damage to their beloved "manhood".

These condoms won't fix much, in my opinion, they'll get more women brutally beaten or killed than they will save. What needs to happen is a shift in perceptions, and less corrupt governments (assuming we're still talking about the military dictatorships). Obviously this is hard, but until those inherent problems are fixed, women in those countries are going to remain objects, for use as sexual gratification or target practice should the soldiers be so inclined...

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:

Sudan and other African nations, you've got to realise, that these people aren't afraid of the police, because they ARE the police, in fact worse, they're the military

Ben Yengi (a friend of mine's father https://www.kadiaustralia.org/) would argue that while sudan has problems it is not as without hope as you make out, there are alot of good people in Sudan to, have you been to Sudan?

What needs to happen is a shift in perceptions, and less corrupt governments (assuming we're still talking about the military dictatorships). Obviously this is hard, but until those inherent problems are fixed, women in those countries are going to remain objects, for use as sexual gratification or target practice should the soldiers be so inclined...

Sorry I think I missed the alternative you where suggesting .... was it simply do nothing because we dont live in an ideal world?
EDITED_BY: ben-ja-men (1212588981)

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I can see the point of these anti-rape condoms.

I think if a woman inserts one and feels comfortable and secure, then good, and it may have served its purpose in just giving some assurance.

However, I really doubt they'll make much difference over the world, which is a huge shame.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
If you're in a violent relationship and get raped by your partner frequently... the heck what you're staying in this relationship anyway? I know it sounds easy and breaking this relationship ain't - but will a rapex make the change for you? I doubt it.

Having sex with emotionally unstable women... my thought: Better don't.

Written by :ben

mass manufacture makes for low unit prices, governments spend huge amounts on aid, if the US government contributed 0.0001% of its $700 billion defense budget it wouldnt be a problem to supply most of the world.

ubblol are the US now supporting discounted HIV medication for the third world? They are not even paying off third world countries for their H5N1 research (by supplying discounted vaccines for example)

IF the US government would by ANY means start to live up to their promises or commitments...[/rant] but I guess Afghanistan and Iraq just need to feel lucky to have been bombed into democracy (sigh).

Nathaniel is raising a valid point: a woman raped and wearing a rapex... the perpetrator would shoot her first and only then go to the hospital to have it removed...

It's a good idea but not a practical one...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
Having been there and done that
The fact that I have to wear something to avoid rape is beyond insulting.
The fact that it will only make the situation worse also is not going to help the victim. This pain will only lead to more pain for the victim IMO

I scratched and kicked and bit and punched. It only made my situation worse

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
And Tom, abusive relationships are very hard to understand unless you've been in one. So that sort of talk isn't really all that pertinent.

Why don't you just leave? Trust me, it's never that easy

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :FireTom

Nathaniel is raising a valid point: a woman raped and wearing a rapex... the perpetrator would shoot her first and only then go to the hospital to have it removed...

And in many of these countries, rape is a "look the other way" sort of crime.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
 Written by :ben-ja-men

Written by : Dr_Birgit

I'm sure they'll get there no problem and will be delivered to every woman who needs them.

even if it only reached one woman who needed it wouldnt it go a good thing?

As many others, I think in a situation like that (you brought up Sudan - I'll stick with that example) causing the rapist pain is not advisable, which is why they don't kick and bite when they get raped in order to survive and bring "home" (if you can call their camp that) the supplies they went out for. Or they don't want to cause a fuss while being raped in the place they share with their kids.

Written by :ben

any form of deterent is better than no deterent particularly if it requires surgical removal to prevent permanent damage, having to go to hospital and fess up, in a resource poor country repeat offenders could be denied treatment ...

Ideally that'd work. Realistically if that country provided women with that kind of help they probably wouldn't live in fear of rape on a regular basis.

Written by :Ben

Maybe, I'm not too worried about the cost but about the actual getting it to women who are in situations where they are repeatedly in danger of abuse. We assume having a local network that distributes the things out of sight/control of the potential offenders and having a second system in place that deals with the offenders afterwards. These are both not present in most cases.
Sure if it does help one woman, fine, but I'm with faith and others on that it'd most likely be turned against the woman, if not immediately then as revenge.
Many systematic rapes are group activities for thugs anyway, so what do you think will the rest of the gang do if one of their buddies hobbles off with both hands around the offending organ?

Written by : Ben

not ALL peacekeepers abuse children

Luckily, no. Most are great people who sacrifice a lot to help. However, it was one of the examples that was brought up and in which case I think the condoms wouldn't be helpful at all.

Written by :Ben

its not the solution to the worlds problems .... im not sure what gave you the impression that I thought it was .... im simply saying that it is an option that could help SOME people, surely it would be useful to the women you mentioned who get raped going to the river to get water for their families ..... possibly there would be retribution but atleast they have another option apart from being raped.

I never said what you imply. I fail to see how it would be useful for that woman, having been pinned down, humiliated and penetrated. The only use would be in the prevention of HIV etc, but a condom that doesn't bite does that, too.
Most of the damage, especially psychologically, has already been done at the point when the condom starts doing its job, and I doubt that many women will feel empowerment at the sight of a swearing scumbag who kicks them a few times or pulls his knife/gun before running off to the nearest doctor.

I just can't envision an example of a group of people for whom these would actually be useful.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Page: