Forums > Technical Discussion > Neat cheap beaming poi from radioshack.

Login/Join to Participate

STOPpandaBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
Hello, kind people.

I really have a hard time finding great led poi, because I generally hate sticks and I never feel like shelling out money to order online. But. I was at Radio Shack, and I found these:

https://www.radioshack.com/product/index....rentPage=search

I don't know if anyone's posted about them before, but I think they are neat enough to talk about. They cost me five bucks, and you get four of the little buggers. The cap twists to turn on or off. I glued two of them together back to back, and tied some strings around them to make a pair of beaming poi. The lights are white.

Really, they aren't fantastic. But I take all my toys apart to explore, and guess what I found out! The leds aren't soldered in. They are simply held in by tension from the batteries. That means you can just yank the white one and replace it with your favorite leds, provided the little wires are long enough. You might as well buy some from the store while you're getting your little makeshift beaming poi.

They have no strobe programs, just simple beaming goodness. I'm stopping by radio shack today to snatch up some random leds, then ill make pictures to show you and you can tell me whether or not they are awesome.

Oh one more thing. They are pretty hard to break, but the cap is held on by pretty much...nothing. So if you crack your balls together all the time, you will end up constantly picking up the caps and putting them back on, which is a little difficult in the dark. I have no idea how to get them to stay put. Some of the creative geniuses out there can deal with that.

Peace!

STOPpandaBRONZE Member
stranger
14 posts

Posted:
sallotape? I mean it would work, but the light would remain on for as long as it were taped. You must actually turn the muffin top while keeping the lower part of the muffin stationary. It's the muffin top that pops off.

So while any kind of tape would work to keep it fixed, it would also prevent the ease of on/off-ness.

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
This may work:

Use the clear tape and wrap it around the whole thing in an X pattern (the X being over the clear dome and under the base, with four lines of tape around the edge), except over the part you need to rotate, also tape the sticky side of the tape.. What I mean is, the glue from the tape will stick to the bottom, the base, to keep it on the device, but over the dome it will not stick, it'll just use the pressure from the non-sticky tape to tie it on; that way it stays on, but you can still rotate the clear dome. Just make sure your tape is narrow enough that you have points to grip to rotate it, but thick enough that there's no risk of it sliding out.

I hope that makes sense!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!