Fleeblebobmember
27 posts

Posted:
Why does it have to rain so much the past two days?
I've been wanting to practice poi, but it's been too windy, so they would just keep hitting me, and rain isn't any fun either.

Has anyone else in the south of England had to put poi practice on hold because of this rain?

NathanielEveristSILVER Member
enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
I live in Melbourne, and the rain does become a bit of a drag. It's difficult to practice inside due to obvious room restrictions, so most of the time I just put on my drysabone and grab a couple of sock poi I don't care about getting wet and just endure it. It'll make you feel like a man.

An alternative is going somewhere where there is a degree of shelter and room, like your local hall, or schools generally have lots of shelter.

Another alternative is to practice moves that require little space. That's how I got so good at isolated buzzsaws, because I'd practice those whenever it was too wet outside. It may be an interesting experience to try twirling with fairly short poi, or having to duck down when doing over-the-head stuff to prevent from hitting the roof, could be fun, just don't get carried away. lol.

The final alternative, is to take up contact juggling, it requires very little room, and although it's got a steep learning curve at first, once you get a feel for it, you'll be hooked, and it looks brilliant. Just a suggestion, hope I've helped.

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I often practice in my kitchen, there's only about 4 feet of room side to side which makes neatening planes a matter of necessity.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Pffft Fleeblebob! You think you have a problem. Just think of all us hula hoopers that live in small houses. I can poi indoors no bother but hooping... frown

Stupid rain!

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Fleeblebobmember
27 posts

Posted:
I'm not allowed to any sort of circusy thing (yes, that is the new official term) in my house, as my parents fear that I will end up breaking everything in sight.

Also... Nathaniel, before I embark on this new adventure of 'feeling like a man', I think I ought to know a little more about what feeling like a man feels like, as it were, seeing as I've not had much experience in that department.

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
lol, oops sorry. Well I think anybody can feel like a man, and anybody can feel like a woman. I know that when my family's out and I "dress up" up feel like a pretty girl. But when I'm rubbing baby oil into my pecs and making them glisten, I feel like a man.

That sucks about your parents fearing you breaking things, but it's probably a valid fear. My chandelier light in my room isn't a complete as it used to be before I started twirling.

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Aw man don't knock it till you don't have any. I wish it would rain here every thing is so dry.

But yes being stuck inside sucks, the roof in my end room is covered in black marks from the ends of my juggling clubs, luckily i was clever enough to get my new clubs with white knobs so they don't make marks any more and yeah hula hooping inside is a difficult risky business.

Maybe you could go for a bit of an explore and find a sheltered public area you could practice in. We have had good luck in a big empty undercover car park around some shopping centers. Or a friend with a big garage

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Fleeblebobmember
27 posts

Posted:
Nathaniel - it's ok, I don't people thinking I'm a guy. I did put bob in my screenname after all. I would swing if it was just rain, but with wind as well, it justs ends up hurting when the poi hit you so much.

Blueberry - I live in a tiny little village, so everywhere outside is mostly open-air. I wouldn't like it to be dry all the time.. going for long walks in the rain is fun, when you have people to walk with.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
it raining here today which is excellent cos we are getting tooooo dry as welll BUT typical classic wouldn't you know it its the one night someone is arranging some fire!

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

enthusiast
315 posts

Posted:
Damn, that's pretty unlucky. You could always attach umbrellas to helmets and wear them or something....

Fleeblebobmember
27 posts

Posted:
That is unlucky! Can you rearrange it for another night?

It stopped raining for a bit yesterday, so I got a bit of practice in.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
ya there's always another night.. it was just to be a get together before a couple of people left town is all.

But it's excellent to be getting some decent rain!

Though I guess that's a bit offtopic on a *stupid rain* thread wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Fleeblebobmember
27 posts

Posted:
You can feel free to have your own opinion on the rain.

It's still badlytimed rained, even if it was much needed, right?

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Hooping inside can be done...just have to move all the furniture to the edges of the walls...altho, you're kind of limited to on the body moves...vertical hooping, with low ceilings, is a bit challenging...

Oooh...and I love hooping in the rain...as long as you've got some good, grippy tape on the hoop, it's no problem, at all...

I love rain...as long as it's not cold out...then I'd much rather stay indoors...

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Rain can be not cold? eek

No-one told me that wink

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Fleeblebobmember
27 posts

Posted:
It can be pretty warm if you're in the tropics.

Compared to British rain, anyway.

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Hooping indoors can be done if you have space, but we really don't and I don't advise getting your hoop too wet as it can effect your tape. smile

Thankfully the weather is getting better now so outdoor hooping is possible.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
That's the good thing about extra hoops...can have one that takes a beating and the rest for more public viewing...I've made all my hoops, anyhow...and I've got plenty more tubing where that came from...100ft for, like $14...and rolls of very colourful tape for about $3. a roll...

The summertime rain in Oz is divine...one of the first days I was there, we were all out in the back yard, playing in the rain...and it's pretty much the same here in the summer, too...

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
seen enough rain to last a lifetime this weekend... went to a festival in Somerset that was so completely flooded, everything was under 3ft of mud!! was crazy

came home early coz the party was cancelled!

such a shame, hope it doesnt last all summer!

pyromania pixie power!

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Mud wrestling!!!

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

Fleeblebobmember
27 posts

Posted:
 Written by :feeb

seen enough rain to last a lifetime this weekend... went to a festival in Somerset that was so completely flooded, everything was under 3ft of mud!! was crazy

came home early coz the party was cancelled!

That sucks..

Did you have fun whilst you were there though?