Forums > Social Chat > Good news, Nerves, and all the advice in the world needed

Login/Join to Participate

Nightphoenix85BOO!
31 posts

Posted:
In April I went for an interview at Bolton University for an Art&Design diploma in foundation studies, they told me then I had got a place on the course and I have been waiting for my confirmation letter which I got last week.
I now have a place on this course which is great and i'm happy about it but i'm now having second thoughts, and thinking that I'd be no good at it! can anyone give me encouragement and advice for starting Uni? weavesmiley

Man's heart away from nature becomes hard.

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
welcome to boltonia smile

well im a local so you better come say hi, although im not at uni anymore...

manc meet today wink

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.

Nightphoenix85BOO!
31 posts

Posted:
O hai bubbles, i know you wave lol we should meet up in town at some point and have a beerchug

Is there anyone else on here from Bolton??
EDITED_BY: AcidBurn85 (1211728381)

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Congrats!

If they didn't believe that you could do it, they wouldn't have given you a place on the course.

Seriously, there's nothing to worry about, a foundation course is only one year long, you're not signing your life away! I did mine at Leeds, and it was the best year of my life. There's nothing to worry about, just throw yourself into it and enjoy it. If I could do mine again, then I would, no question!

And get yourself down to the Manchester meets. Are you going to be living with parents, or moving out?

What is it in particular you are worried about?

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

GlåssDIAMOND Member
The Ministry of Manipulation
2,523 posts

Posted:
acidburn
Easy.
If they say that you're good enough to get on the course.
Then you're good enough to get on the course!
Quit worrying and get on with enjoying it.

Nightphoenix85BOO!
31 posts

Posted:
Thanks pricklyleaf your an angel2 I'm just worried i'm not ready for it that's all. I know i'll enjoy it its just getting over the whole I hate all my art and i'm not that good stuff.

As for the manchester meets I do really want to come but I have to come on the train (which is fine) its just getting back to Bolton on the trains can be quite awkward on a Sunday and I need a weeks notice so I need someone to send me a reminder on my myspace a week before otherwise i'll forget:)
EDITED_BY: AcidBurn85 (1211743002)

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Acid, if you don't do this, a rather stocky, muscly Jewish dude from the U.S. is going to come kick your butt.

You don't want to see him when he gets annoyed. wink

If I'd thought as you think, would I be a doctor today?

Now go forth and kick some ass.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Nightphoenix85BOO!
31 posts

Posted:
Ok Doc. I'll be good and kick some ass for you! if i'm good do I get a jar of Nutella High priest?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
You get a Nutella Bath!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Are you sure it was my myspace you were looking at?! I haven't been to cambodia last time I checked... and frogs?! confused

Anyway...

Don't worry, most people hate their own art work, but in a way, its actually a good thing, because it means that you are self-evaluating, and thats how you get better. The whole point of doing a course is to learn and improve, you're not expected to be able to do everything 'perfectly' straight away. Art is one of the very few subjects where there are no right or wrong answers.

A foundation course isn't a huge test. Even the result, isn't that important in the scheme of things. What matters is getting the time to explore different areas of art, and trying lots of different things, so you can decide what disciplines within art you like, and which ones you like less.

There is really nothing to stress about.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Nightphoenix85BOO!
31 posts

Posted:
 Written by :pricklyleaf

Are you sure it was my myspace you were looking at?! I haven't been to cambodia last time I checked... and frogs?! confused

Sorry I had so many myspace tabs open (I have firefox)I gots me peeps mixed up!!! my apologies I have corrected the post now.

redface

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
really? dont stress. heaps of people i know have changed their minds and its not really a big deal. go have fun and see if you love it. if not, get a job in retail!

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Nightphoenix85BOO!
31 posts

Posted:
I was ok until the tutor told me if I get kicked off the course or leave i'll have to pay £1300 umm which i don't have frown
EDITED_BY: AcidBurn85 (1211825810)

Bubbles_SILVER Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,384 posts

Posted:
 Written by :AcidBurn85

Thanks pricklyleaf your an angel2 I'm just worried i'm not ready for it that's all. I know i'll enjoy it its just getting over the whole I hate all my art and i'm not that good stuff.
As for the manchester meets I do really want to come but I have to come on the train (which is fine) its just getting back to Bolton on the trains can be quite awkward on a Sunday and I need a weeks notice so I need someone to send me a reminder on my myspace a week before otherwise i'll forget:)

*ahem* professional trainer back to bolton here wink

Disclaimer:im not responsible for what i say or do whether it be before,during and after drinking alcoholic substances (owned by BMVC).
Creater of Jenisms(TM)
Virginity like bubble,one prick all gone.