Forums > Social Discussion > Rising petrol prices - turning to cycling

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I honestly never thought that I would ever say this.

But, I am going to become.... a cyclist.

After all the years of hating getting stuck behind people on bikes, and of them scaring me by suddenly pulling out in front of me etc. I am going to join their ranks.

Petrol is becoming so expensive, that I can't afford to save up for travelling, and pay for petrol to get me to work. (At the time of writing, its on average £1.13/litre eek) So I'm going over to the dark side. And I'm actually, really quite excited about it.

But I was wondering, how long on average, would it take to cycle the 10miles aprox to work? It takes me about 50 minutes to drive (all in heavy traffic). Does anyone have any handy hints/tips/links to cycle route planners etc. Is it too big a distance to cycle?

I need to find somewhere to store my bike, and I might not be allowed into work wearing cycling gear, even if I change as soon as I get in. That bit worries me.

Has anyone else done this? I know its not exactly a new concept for many out there, but I was wondering how many other people are going to get converted due to the cost of petrol. Is that the main motivation factor for you?

The exercise benifits are not really that important to me, as I already do a hell of a lot of dancing etc, but I do worry as to whether I'm going to be fit enough for doing it, I have very low stamina when it comes to cycling and running! The fact its green is a big bonus for me, but again, its not really a motivational factor in my decision.

Just interested. ubbrollsmile

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I would like to add to the discussion, that rising petrol prices greatly result from speculations in the stock market - not necessarily from a shortage in supply.

By the time, the oil reaches the destination, the tanker's content got sold 10-fold.

As a matter of fact Saudi Arabia has announced to pump up more oil, still the prices are sky-rocketing. Which subsequently will lead to even more inflation of (food) prices.

It's another example of the ruthlessness of capitalism.

Still turn to cycling but organize a rally to Wall Street...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Wow, thats mad! I really do wish that there would be a big push to turn more people to cycling/alternatives. If more people did it, it would make cycling much safer and easier.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

SethisBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,762 posts

Posted:
"Ride like everyone else is a complete moron ( motorcycle riding wisdom )"

Quoted for Truth.

"You might want to avoid riding with headphones for the first while."

You don't want to ride with headphones. Ever. On a city road you'll hear a vehicle coming WAY before you see it, and forewarned is fore... umm... safer. biggrin

After much consideration, I find that the view is worth the asphyxiation.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I may disagree with what you have to say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Over the last 2 weeks I have lent my car to my ex who had a cash and is waiting to get hers fixed, so I've been forced to cycle. I welcome it!! I've been cycling 26 miles a day the last 2 weeks and absolutely think its fantastic, I might not ask for it back biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
My working week is over, so 5 days cycling, tally is 122 miles biggrin

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

Groovy_DreamSILVER Member
addict
449 posts

Posted:
Great pics rouge! That's a lot of cyclists smile

Page: