Forums > Social Discussion > Rising petrol prices - turning to cycling

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I honestly never thought that I would ever say this.

But, I am going to become.... a cyclist.

After all the years of hating getting stuck behind people on bikes, and of them scaring me by suddenly pulling out in front of me etc. I am going to join their ranks.

Petrol is becoming so expensive, that I can't afford to save up for travelling, and pay for petrol to get me to work. (At the time of writing, its on average £1.13/litre eek) So I'm going over to the dark side. And I'm actually, really quite excited about it.

But I was wondering, how long on average, would it take to cycle the 10miles aprox to work? It takes me about 50 minutes to drive (all in heavy traffic). Does anyone have any handy hints/tips/links to cycle route planners etc. Is it too big a distance to cycle?

I need to find somewhere to store my bike, and I might not be allowed into work wearing cycling gear, even if I change as soon as I get in. That bit worries me.

Has anyone else done this? I know its not exactly a new concept for many out there, but I was wondering how many other people are going to get converted due to the cost of petrol. Is that the main motivation factor for you?

The exercise benifits are not really that important to me, as I already do a hell of a lot of dancing etc, but I do worry as to whether I'm going to be fit enough for doing it, I have very low stamina when it comes to cycling and running! The fact its green is a big bonus for me, but again, its not really a motivational factor in my decision.

Just interested. ubbrollsmile

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
What Stone said, has to be said. regardless of how cyclists may feel about it.

Speaking as a very experienced cyclist, driver, and motorcycle rider, I'd estimate that at least half of our local cyclists lack road craft.

About a decade ago, in Vancouver, bike couriers were acting like such morons, that they were forced to display a motorcycle sized licence plate, so a driver or pedestrian who "experienced" one of these guys had at least a small chance of identifying the offender.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
No UV-jackets, no helmet, not even headlights. I prefer to know that no motorist sees me at night and drive my bicycle accordingly, I prefer to look and check the streets instead of relying on traffic lights. Minding pedestrians, children and animals, making myself heard, being ready to stop at any time, taking into account that even people who see me coming don't mind cutting me off.

shrug

What I can't understand are ppl who ride (motor)bike (at dusk or night) without goggles wink

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
Guys, can we get over the whole bike v car thing and get on with some constructive comments?

There are bad car drivers AND bad cyclists out there, just like there are good car drivers AND good cyclists: making sweeping generalisations isn't getting us anywhere except generating lots of aggro.

All I can say is, try riding a bike/driving in China! wink

so, anyway, bikes, pretty ecologically sound huh?

any top tips on bike maintenance anyone?

grouphug

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Yikes, wasn't expecting that one, but I guess I should have seen it coming.

Anyway...

Written by :newgabe

The questions Prickyleaf are asking are about how she can get to be a fairly serious cyclist quickly... serious meaning longish distance, all weather, city conditions and safe. And in a fit state to work afterwards.

This is exactly what I'm asking, so no more offtopicness please, spank

So yes, right turns, building up stamina and safely overtaking queues of stationary traffic stopped at traffic lights is what I need to learn to do.
biggrin

And thanks for the bicycle training video link, that was useful and I'm working through the clips now. ubbangel

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :

OWD, good comments, but I’m still wondering how you stop a unicycle? I’m still thinking many probably have fixed wheels and no brakes. And if they have brakes, then hitting the brakes suddenly in an emergency stopping situation would likely see the rider going end over.

You make many comments about cyclists, but they all involve blaming the motorist. The motorist is always is always wrong. The motorist should do this or fit 20 mirrors, or something else.

Isn’t about time cyclists took some responsibility for actually “sharing” the road with other road users.

Stone- as you say, a unicycle is fixed wheel, so it stops when your legs stop: as, in most cases, unicycles do not go fast, it can easily be stopped in a far shorter distance than a bike.

Brakes are-

a. rare
b. of two kinds- 'drag brakes'for unis with big wheels and short cranks, to be applied and lefton during steep road descents and, actual brakes used in extreme off roading, for hills so steep that leg muscles lack the strengh to apply sufficient back pressure.

Unicycle brakes are not used for 'stopping' as bike/car brakes are- neither would they be of much use for that purpose.

============

In the case of mirrors, I was referring to the high numbers of cyclists knocked off or crushed by left turning lorries- due to the length of lorries it's extremely dangerous to turn left if a cyclist is on the left- traditional mirrors have blind spots.

I've come a cropper cos of a lorry doing this- there's nothing you can do if a lorry pulls past and starts to turn, you're just faced with a lorry on the right, the pavement on the left and, a rapidly diminishing coridoor in between- if you can't stop in time you get either knocked off or crushed.

That's not the cyclists fault- in the case above, it was the drivers as he must have seen me in front before he/she pulled up.

In the cases where 'blind spots' are an issue, if technology is made compulsory to eliminate such blind spots, then the problem is eliminated.

There are available better mirrors and, if the lorry is so long that they don't suffice, then I'd argue for some kind of compulsory video camera system- after all, we are talking about cyclists dying through no fault of their own here.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
 Written by :LazyAngel

Guys, can we get over the whole bike v car thing and get on with some constructive comments?

There are bad car drivers AND bad cyclists out there, just like there are good car drivers AND good cyclists: making sweeping generalisations isn't getting us anywhere except generating lots of aggro.

All I can say is, try riding a bike/driving in China! wink

so, anyway, bikes, pretty ecologically sound huh?

any top tips on bike maintenance anyone?

grouphug

Good call Guy, Can we please stop the car vs bike thing! and keep it to what Pricklyleaf started this thread about.

I learnt a good bike maintanence tip two days ago, I had the scummiest chain and gear set around, which in turn aids rust and the general degradation of the gears. I enquired and for 5 quid bought a bike chain removal tool, took the chain off and put it in a coke bottle with a few inches in degreaser, shook it for a few minutes, and my chain looked new, did something similar with my gears and now my bike looks all shiny again!!

So simple!

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by tonguericklyleaf

Yikes, wasn't expecting that one, but I guess I should have seen it coming.

Anyway...

Written by :newgabe

The questions Prickyleaf are asking are about how she can get to be a fairly serious cyclist quickly... serious meaning longish distance, all weather, city conditions and safe. And in a fit state to work afterwards.

This is exactly what I'm asking, so no more offtopicness please, spank

So yes, right turns, building up stamina and safely overtaking queues of stationary traffic stopped at traffic lights is what I need to learn to do.

biggrin

And thanks for the bicycle training video link, that was useful and I'm working through the clips now. ubbangel

Apologies for any off-topic-ness from me.

I do think the lorry thing is very important to know where safety is concerned, as it is quite common for cyclists to get hurt by left-turning lorries.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I will also add that I will admit that as a cyclist I do occassionally run red lights, usually only if there is nothing coming and it won't put my saftely in jeapoady. I will however never ride on a pavement.

Remember this
https://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/cyclist_kills_pedestrian_article_157946.html

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Stone

LazyAngel, that’s a great article about lorries at traffic lights, especially the bit about more than half the fatal crashes involved lorries turning left. As they say, passing on the left side is the suicide.

Can someone please explain some more about not passing lorries on the left? (I assume we're talking about countries that drive on the left?)
I understand hanging back from a lorry when it's stopped at lights, incase it turns left and traps you, but do you never pass them on the left? If not, can someone please explain to me how to pass them?

I'm trying to get more used to riding on the roads in Canada. I'm finding it really intimidating because of the difference in vehicle size from the Uk. Over there I felt pretty comfortable and like I could fit in and be seen on a road. Over here, when I'm on my bike I'm not sure I'm even as tall as the wheels of some vehicles.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
 Written by :PyroWill

I learnt a good bike maintanence tip two days ago, I had the scummiest chain and gear set around, which in turn aids rust and the general degradation of the gears. I enquired and for 5 quid bought a bike chain removal tool, took the chain off and put it in a coke bottle with a few inches in degreaser, shook it for a few minutes, and my chain looked new, did something similar with my gears and now my bike looks all shiny again!!

Actually, although this is a completely justified way of cleaning your chain, when you take a link apart (and put it back together again) it provides a weak point in the chain, making it more susceptable to snapping.

You don't have to take the chain off the bike at all to clean it. Instead of buying a chain-breaking tool, buy a chain cleaner something like this...
https://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detai...D=1211921884916
fill it with (biodegradable) chain cleaner, clip it to the chain, grab the pedals and back pedal a few revolutions. Repeat a couple of times if it's a dirty chain. Finish off by adding some chain lube.

smile

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
While we are on the topic of bikes, probably one of the most interesting bit’s I learned about riding was Countersteering or counter-intuitive steering.

Stout, well said. Happy biking smile

OWD, thanks for the information on stopping unicycles. I was thinking about them, and I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how you stopped one.

Written by OWD

In the case of mirrors, I was referring to the high numbers of cyclists knocked off or crushed by left turning lorries- due to the length of lorries it's extremely dangerous to turn left if a cyclist is on the left- traditional mirrors have blind spots……….

You are probably right about the technology, which is all about reversing cameras or side or bumper-mount cameras these days. Until that is widely adopted, what a lot of lorries have is a sticker saying "if you can’t see my mirrors I can’t see you". Good advice.

I don’t want to appear argumentative, but I don’t agree that cyclists are dying through no fault of their own when they get trapped by a lorry doing a left hand turn. Lorries are a problem, but that’s more due to their size and having trailers. From the defensive driving side, it’s also the cyclists responsibility not to get in a position where they at danger. No always possible I know. But as far as cyclist safety goes, I think experience and road craft are just as important as fitting extra mirrors.

I not sure about who would be at fault from the legal perspective, but I suspect the lorry driver would have a fair case.

I couldn’t find much on lorries, except for this publication: Riding in Traffic, Dealing with trucks and buses. It’s Canadian, so I think left will be on the right.

Mand, as far as passing lorries on the left goes, it’s probably an Australian thing. We are very big into lane swapping on freeways, and we pass on the left side, the right side or what ever side we can. Lorries have difficulty seeing vehicles traveling in their blind spot. So, some lorries drivers have put stickers on the back that say pass on the right side (right hand side of vehicle) or pass on the suicide (on left hand side of vehicle).

As far as cleaning chains goes, you can just pull off the back wheel. Not a problem with quick release. I'd suggest using a motor bike chain oil for lubrication.

Also carrying a puncher kit is a good idea.

One more thing, those foot holders things can be a pain at intersections, but the increase riding efficiency by something like 20%.
EDITED_BY: Stone (1211982882)

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Thanks Stone, that's a useful article on dealing with trucks and buses.
I guess I've just never thought about moving out and passing them on the right (or left here in Canada) before. It makes sense though.

To be honest, I'm not sure I'll be riding much on the road here though. We have lots of bike paths running along the river, and it's perfectly acceptable to ride on pavements. Most of my riding is done off-road.

Stone, I don't understand what you're saying about taking the back wheel off your bike to get the chain off.
If you're using a chain cleaning tool then you don't have to take any wheels off. If you're using your method of removing the chain and washing in a bottle, then the chain has to be split. Where does removing the back wheel come into it?

Also, motorbike chain oil is not so good to use on a bicycle. It's more harmful to the bike if you're riding on trails, but its still not good for road riding.
You should use a bicycle specific lube. Use a dry lube if you live in a very dry environment (doesn't attract as much soil/ grit/ dust as a wet lube, but doesn't protect against rust very well, so has to be reapplied more often). Use a wet lube if you live in a wetter environment (protects against rust, but attracts more soil/ grit/ dust/ etc).
Motorbike chain oil is heavier still, and while it will protect against rust, it will also clog up your chain with gunk.

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
yep I can recommend buying some clip / cleat shoes and pedals - once you get used to them you can go much faster with less effort..and you feel more like you are riding as *part of* the bike rather than just sitting *on* the bike. Of course if you have to stop suddenly and you do go over, it can be harsh when clipped in.

Also - dont try to impress your partner with early morning wheelies past the front door when clipped in...I can speak from painful (in many ways) experience. hehe smile

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
I cycle to work everyday. In fact im selling my car ubbrollsmile

I would say that I’m a considerably safer and more aware cyclist after completing my motorbike license – there’s some key lessons there that cyclists should be aware of – as much to do with perception & dealing with drivers philosophically.

My approach to the road – and for that matter life in general – is to try to be nice to everyone, and take especially care when people are at more risk.

So when driving – always watching for motorbikes, cyclists, pedestrians, kids etc. its irrevelant sometimes who legally right and wrong – if my car hits a pedestrian that’s still going to be really censored for me even if I have right of way.

It’s the same with cycling – I consider it my duty to watch out for everyone else. If I have a 5 yr old kid jump out in front of my bike when im flying through at 40km/hr resplendent in spandex – id probably kill the kid. Id take an evil tumble for sure, have some nasty gravel rash, and wasted $200 in spandex – but id live – and that’s really irrelevant as to how id feel about the kid.

Ive done the entire peleton thing – and that’s no excuse not to stop at lights. Full stop. The peletons ive ridden in obey the road rules – if we cant stop for the lights – we are travelling too fast - same as for a car.

Now this ‘taking care of others’ concept isn’t always returned when in on the bike – but often it is. I think many cyclists don’t realise how most cars really do take more care – and only focus on the few idiots.

And rights aside - i stay out of the way of lorries - sure they SHOULD pay attention and see me - but i accept that often they dont. I can sing to the moon all night about legal technicalities - but i take responsability for my life and avoid those situation at all cost.

In my motorcycle course - you ASSUME that the truck or car is going to make an unexpected turn. you ASSUME the car is not going to give way - you ASSUME the 4wd owner is talking on her mobileand wont see you. you ASSUME the car pulling up behind when youre stopped at traffic light will not stop, and plan an exit strategy. At every single point your a scanning, around looking left right up down thinking 'what if' constantly. Im certainly not going to overtake a lorry on the left hand side when theres a big side street that it MIGHT turn down.

I dont expect everyone to take care of me on the road - so take my own initiative. I sometimes have to bend the rules a bit - but my life takes priority. I once was pulled up a cop after a sequence of somewhat bizzare lane changes around cars through a series of traffic lights. I could prove to him that on this section of road that i did what i had to do to protect my arse and not get hit - and he was cool with that.

Also getting angry isn’t going to change anything. A truck can cut me off when Im driving – but no matter how much I rant and rave its not going to change anything. His hunk of metal could crush mine any day. Im not going to change anyones opinion of me by swearing and gesticulating wildly – whether im on two or four wheels. If I got pissed of every time someone slighted me id be a sad and bitter man by now.

ALSO of extreme revelance is the entire relationship between emotion and adrenaline –you’ve got a pumping heart and exercise endorphins pumping through your system – and you tend to be much more emotionally volatile on the road. Ive actually trained in a physical theatre company who expressly used that relationship by going through intense physical exertion as a way of opening emotional reserves & energy.

Cyclist to tend to be passionate – in part for good reason – but can take it to extremes.
EDITED_BY: Dentrassi (1212026959)

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
How to become a "good" cyclist?

Train on stamina, exhausted riding in traffic is one of THE most dangerous things to do.

Always be prepared to stop and regard everybody else as "not looking/ taking care"

Make yourself heard! Everyone seems to have a wrong perception of cyclists, especially when they are fast.

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
https://www.cellbikes.com.au/newsletter.php?id=147

got some good info about avoiding risks on the roads.

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Well over the last few days my bottom bracket went, so I drove into work, and run over a bunny, now im sad frown

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
...whatever next rolleyes wink

I want to cycle to work, but I reckon a 26 mile round trip every day would be somewhat tiring ubblol, yet not impossible.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

PinkNigelPinker than thou
336 posts

Posted:
At the request of the mods I've removed "that comment" I made in response to what I took to be a generalisation about all cyclists.

I'd've done it sooner, but I was away on holiday in Corsica. Now there's an island where you REALLY take big risks on the road...

Anyways, perhaps in the spirit of being all calm and non-adversarial, perhaps those of you as quoted me could edit too...

A wise man once said: "You have two ears and one mouth, therefore you should shut the censored up and listen" (though, to be fair, he might not've put it _quite_ like that..)

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
 Written by :jemima (jem)

...whatever next rolleyes wink

I want to cycle to work, but I reckon a 26 mile round trip every day would be somewhat tiring ubblol, yet not impossible.

Thats what I do Jem, and your probably fitter than me I imagine

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Bike tribes eh. The recumbent loks like the way to arrive at work relaxed... get a few cushions and a nice lamp...

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Got some links I want to put up. Mostly Australia-based, but some have links to relevant international sites.

Amy Gillett Foundation

Wheels of Justice

Bicycle Federation of Australia

National Centre of Bicycling and Walking

Cycling Resource Centre

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Mand, good points .lol. What was I thinking?

Dentrassi, great effort putting up a link on cycle safety, unfortunately it encourages cyclists to break the law and even worse has rubbish like this:

Written by

If you're lucky, the motorist will exit the car before you hit the door, so you'll at least have the pleasure of smashing them too when you crash, and their soft flesh will cushion your impact.

So much for harmony!

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

Eastlink Tollway 14th June 2008

25,000 Cyclists registered, but they think that twice that participated. During the ride I heard 40,000 mentioned.

And it was an absolutely beautiful sight! It was also wonderful listening to people along the way commenting about how beautiful it was and it should be the way of the future, let lamenting that it wasn't given that it was built with our taxes in the first place.

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Non-Https Image Link

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
YAY smile

really good post miss red. hope it does some good for melbourne.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
bounce Cycling is way to go in the cities smile Really nice pictures smile

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Wow beth that is awesome!! What was the event exactly? I'm looking forward to cycling to work today!

flyingpenguinnimember
114 posts

Posted:
Nice pictures, is that in america? Australia? Where?

I used to ride 5 milles every day round trip. Very nice but busses here in Oxford are evil and one nearly kill me 6 months ago... so i decided to walk every day... Walking is quite healthy aswell and i walk the same amount of milles... since then i am fiter than ever and i arrive to work awake and in a great mood.

I still ride but to the countryside on the weekends... lots of fun. Im learning Unicicle now but it hurts.... redface

I had to beat him to death with his own shoes... but that's another story all together.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
It's in Melbourne, Australia and it's the Eastlink Tollway two weeks before it's open to cars.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
Riding to work in Australia Tips

This should work for people who aren't members of Bicycle Victoria (which will be me soon cos I'm not renewing with those wankers) as it has links to info for other states.

Page: