Forums > Other Toys > glow balls - suggestions

Login/Join to Participate

crazy_andynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
Hey all, I'm looking to purchase some decent glow balls at some point in the near future.

Important areas are:
weight
grip
durability
battery life
brightness
features (programable sequences, wirelessness, synch to music, amount of colours, colour transitions etc)

I was thikning about aerotech proballs but can't find them on the aerotech website, which ironically enough is glowball.com and has no balls :\

Basically the ideal ball would be programmable with custom sequences, chargable and almost impossible to break.

Cost wise, I'm interested in anything up to about 50 gbp (100 usd) per ball

Any suggestions. All input would be greatly appreciated

Wiggles

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Quick run-down of what's available at the moment, from basic/cheap upwards:

Non-rechargeable cheap balls: Need watch batteries, weigh almost nothing, colours really dull. Not recommended. £20 for 3

Rechargeable renegade(?) balls: Good value, decent size for 3-5 ball work, fairly bright, rechargeable. Nice weight. Available in 1 colour or a rainbow thats not quite as bright. £20 each + charger

K8's: Similar features to the old proballs, larger than any of the other balls - probably best for 3 ball stuff, quite heavy. 2 colours and loads of features for strobes etc. £45 each + charger.

Programme-a-balls: 7 colours, nice weight. Plenty of settings. Pretty small - won't be so good for 3 ball weave stuff but 7+ looks amazing. Pretty much indestructible apparently. £40 a ball + charger

Theres other stuff out there but nothing really worth it compared to these (somebody correct me if I've missed something amazing)

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

crazy_andynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
I've looked at both the K8s and the Programme-a-balls online just now. Neither are as good as i'd like.

The k8s seem severly limited by the lack of more than 2 colours.

The programme-a-balls seem nice, but i do most of my juggling with 3 balls, and therefore don't want to waste > 100 gbp on something that won't look that good for what I can do with them. Why do you say they arn't good for just 3 balls? Just because they are quite small and therefore not that bright? Any idea what the weight per ball is, and what the dimensions are?

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure of the weights, you'd have to contact them through their website. For the size thing, I simply mean that when doing 3 ball weave style tricks the balls in your hands will be obscured, where with a larger ball it is much easier to have all 3 visible the whole time. You could counter this with technique though obviously.

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
yeah i am only put off by the size of the programmaballs too. they are just SO small (58mm) and for contact tricks, putting in socks or many juggling tricks they are just so so small

my aerotech proballs are 65mm and perfect for three ball, contact and poi-ing. what we need is for someone to make some identical ones, and we can just buy them!

pyromania pixie power!

crazy_andynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
I contacted them through the site, and got the answers:

58mm (as feeb said) and 124g which is about right for a normal ball.

As for the small size I got the following in the e-mail:

"They are 58mm diameter and weigh 124 grammes. Many people that have told me they are too small have later come back and said that they are just right"

I'm going to read some more about them, but will prob buy these, unless anyone can suggest anything thats way better.

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
they are definately the best i found when i explored the same thing andy. the guy was really helpful which was great, i would much prefer ones that were a little bit bigger, just because for making into poi these would be on the light side...

However, they seem perfect other than that, as soon as my aerotechs burn out i will probably be getting some too!

pyromania pixie power!

crazy_andynewbie
21 posts

Posted:
Cool, I'll report my findings when I get them.

I just wish there was a programmable set that could accept a computer written sequence ;(

Another project to work on I guess smile

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
you will have to wait for the aerotech ultimates i think for that, and you'll be broke forever!

pyromania pixie power!

Brian:-)BRONZE Member
stranger
37 posts

Posted:
Hi,
I think that they are fine for 3 ball weave style tricks. See https://www.programme-a-balls.co.uk/slides/movies/movie2.html

Brian.

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Like I said, the size can be countered with technique, but I did notice my (admittedly rather large) hands were wrapping over them a bit more than I'd have liked.

I still maintain they are the best on the market at the moment though overall. One of my renegades broke the other day too so I'm getting more tempted to get myself a set of 5 biggrin

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
If you dont mind them not being ball shaped, then Oggz are good. (from here)

https://www.play.com/Gadgets/Gadgets/4-/478562/-/Product.html?searchstring=oggz&searchsource=0

Oggz: 8 colours, nice weight. Phases through 8 colours. Pretty much indestructible, apart from if you throw them on the floor on the plastic bit. quite bright (see pic below). £30 for 3 including the charger

These are also available on flowtoys.com as oggpoi. I have modified 2 of mine to poi that are on colecords and are great

A mate had a juggle with them and said they were good for juggling with

Thanks for info on the programme-a-balls

34352Img_0346

see my other pictures for poi modification
EDITED_BY: Geeza (1210854063)