Forums > Social Discussion > Adding new template to forums and later main page etc.

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
UCOF - Spanner got really screwed by their billing shenanigans, and I was pretty sure you'd had MSN problems trying to chat to me on plenty of occasions tongue

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
We never got screwed by their billing shenanigans, and I think the problem was on Pidgin wink

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Spunky main page biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Pretty ubbrollsmile

Might just me being stupid, but... is there a "login" button somewhere on the main page? If not, could there be one please?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Birgit

... is there a "login" button somewhere on the main page? If not, could there be one please?

+1

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

-sandy-BRONZE Member
old hand
716 posts

Posted:
The 'contact us' tab jumps around from page to page on my version of safari (3.1.1) in the forum its under 'meet others' and moves to under 'go shopping' on the home page.

Looks nice apart from that.
biggrin

"Don't do it naked!"

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
when you click the "home" tab, the "home" page shows the library tab highlighted.

DEAD FREEDOM
if you've forgotten how to scream, then scream here and live here

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
0ni - Ive noticed that too. umm

FF 2.0.0.14 and XP Pro SP2.

Also, this page https://www.homeofpoi.com/company/cookies.php says I have Netscape 5.0 confused

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:

... is there a "login" button somewhere on the main page? If not, could there be one please?

If we put one there, where would it take you to when you logged in? Shop or Forum or lessons???? We haven't done this previously because who's to say where the majority of people want to go and do. Hmmmm, I wonder if we can have the login plus a tick box as to where you want to go?
Will discuss with Malcolm.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
haha me too!

i do'nt know what version of firefox, 2.0.something or other and same os as you.

this is just an aesthetics thing, and i'm not sure what kind of solution to suggest.
on all the pages except for 3, there is a google searchbar and a "circles of light" promo
then on the shop and cart pages, there is only "ten reasons to buy from us" with no google search bar

and finally on the community page, there are pictures in the center, i presume from circles of light, with a google searchbar

also, the liquid-y layout causes the google toolbar to squish the circles of light text to an impossibly small column when i make my window as small as i like to generally keep it.

first question -- why do you even need that google bar there? it seems kind of useless. i guess i suggest replacing it with the 10 reasons to shop from us link, to keep every page consistent. in other words - from top left to top right, HoP banner, circles of light pictures with SMALLER text below, 10 reasons to buy from us link.

THEN if that google searchbar is really that necessary, couldn't it go in a footer or be embedded somewhere else more useful ? i think it is overlooked in the top right corner. it could be just me but i would rather use the google searchbar included with my browser or click the "search" link under the forum main page. another suggestion might be to add a "search" tab or sub-menu option, or add it at the top/center of each main page right below the navigation menu.

DEAD FREEDOM

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I like that google search bar. I've used it many times to google search only through HOP smile

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :georgemc

If we put one there, where would it take you to when you logged in? Shop or Forum or lessons???? We haven't done this previously because who's to say where the majority of people want to go and do. Hmmmm, I wonder if we can have the login plus a tick box as to where you want to go?

Will discuss with Malcolm.

i would say it should by default lead to forums, but the tickbox idea is good

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
I would've said to "my home", but yeah, the tickbox (especially if you can get the computer to remember the choice) would work fine.
Alternatively it might be practical to have a kind of "login to..." button under all three main bits (forums, shop, lessons).

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
the google search bar is useful, true! but i think it would do better somewhere else, just my humble opinion.

question - do you have to have 3 different logins for each of the 3 different pages? if it's the same login why can't you just stay on the page you're at? then when you decide to go to the other pages, you will be logged in already

DEAD FREEDOM

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
I agree with the 0ni. smile
I see no reason to have a login box on the main home page. The most of us come here for the forum, so if we come to that and login, then decide to go to the shop, then like said, we will already be logged in.

If new users come to the site, they don't have an account, so if they got o the shop, they will need to create a new account anyway.

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
i wasnt necessarily saying that a login on the main page is unnecessary, but i think it's unnecessary to have to redirect the user....chances are likely that they will click themselves on whatever page they want to go to. then, like you said ucof, if a user is coming to the forum anyway, there's a login box right on the forum. and if they're going to shop, there's a login on the shop already too...

DEAD FREEDOM

Page: