• All Purchases made this month instantly go into the draw to win a USD $ 100.00 credit to your HoP account.

Forums > Social Discussion > Adding new template to forums and later main page etc.

Login/Join to Participate
Page: 12
Malcolm
SAPPHIRE Member since Nov 2003

Malcolm

HOP admin

Total posts: 1012
Posted:Pre-warning

After much testing on available browsers and platforms we are going to release initially our new curved tabs into the forum area of the website. Mainly to see if it shows up any strange things on anything we have not found, before we continue to upgrade the rest of the site.

I have two versions 1 + 2.

1. I hope will work as it is better in the order that it creates the page after HTML is loaded.

2. Works without the fancy stuff I put in version 1. and hence waits for all page contents to load before completing extra javascript style modifications to the tabs.

I will most probably test both versions. Starting with version 1.

*fingers crossed*

I have a CSS error first that I have to find and fix.

I will post here when I know it is working. So do not notify of any problems until I say so smile .

Cheers

Malcolm

"May your balls always burn"

Delete Topic

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted:Mynci - Will check out Vista IE7 at work tomorrow. I believe Natalie is running that.

Ben-ja-men - Can you check that again. From what I can see it is no longer doing it again.

OWD and Pele - I had accidentally left in an included file in the header that no longer existed. I fixed that and tried IE7 and it seems to run a bit faster possibly.
Alas All other browsers I have tested seem to run many times faster than IE. So I will loook into that further.

Delete

Malcolm

Malcolm

HOP admin

Posted: Written by :UsedCarOnlyFord

Oh wow.
I only jus noticed that the birthdays have been removed from the calendar.

When'd that 'appen? umm

About 10 months ago. It was because there were too man birthdays shown on the "month" pages, but you can still see them on the "day" pages.

Delete

onewheeldave
GOLD Member since Aug 2002

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 3252

Pele, OWD - Use firefox wink

I have Firefox and IE and find them suitable for different purposes.

For viewing discussion boards, I use IE, cos I've got an image blocker installed which makes the pages load much quicker by cutting out smilies, avatars and other junk (I'm on dialup- don't tell me to get broadband cos I'm still waiting for a UK broadband provider that isn't run by scamming sharks smile)

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

Delete

Yakumo
SILVER Member since May 2006

Yakumo

veteran

Total posts: 1237
Posted:Firefox - install webdev toolbar, then you can easily disable images at any time.

adblock plus is also invaluable.

as is noscript but that makes some browsing a bit more of a hassle as your still approving things but it makes for unparalleled security.

I don't see any problem with ie7/vista and the curved tabs here.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Delete

UCOF
SILVER Member since Apr 2002

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 15414
Posted:OWD - we are with Tiscali and have had nothing but awesome service. Whats wrong with them? confused

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:sorry to continue the offtopic, but ugg Tiscali : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiscali

Just some Headings :

# 4 Criticisms of Tiscali UK

* 4.1 P2P Blocking

* 4.2 "Instant" Messenger & other Gaming Chat Apps

* 4.3 Support

* 4.4 Greatest Number of Complaints

* 4.5 Billing Problems

* 4.6 2007 UK email outage

hug UCOF

oh, I also recently discovered when trying to assist a friend with their personal tiscali web space, that their FTP refuses any login not on a tiscali connection mad2

Delete

onewheeldave

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted: Written by :Yakumo

Firefox - install webdev toolbar, then you can easily disable images at any time.
adblock plus is also invaluable.
as is noscript but that makes some browsing a bit more of a hassle as your still approving things but it makes for unparalleled security.

I don't see any problem with ie7/vista and the curved tabs here.

I've used noscript for a while- it's very useful.

Thanks for the link for the webdev image disabler- I've been looking for something like that smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Delete

onewheeldave

Carpal \'Tunnel

OWD - we are with Tiscali and have had nothing but awesome service. Whats wrong with them? confused

Orange, virgin, tiscali etc- they're all got a portion of customers who swear by them and who've had no big problems- equally, they've all got a portion of extemely dissatisfied ex-customers who consider them to be extremely poor.

Broadband, from the considerable amount of research I've done, is a total lottery in the UK.

I know the time is coming when I'll end up switching, but, for now, my dial-up account fulfills my no.1 criteria, which is reliability.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:offtopic

Fair enough.

Mr Yakumo ( hug ) we havent had any of those problems. I 443 the utorrent traffic anyway which seems to help. No billing problems, not instant messaging problems, no more problems with their support staff than I have encountered with other companies.

Written by :OWD

Orange, virgin, tiscali etc- they're all got a portion of customers who swear by them and who've had no big problems- equally, they've all got a portion of extemely dissatisfied ex-customers who consider them to be extremely poor.

You'll find that with any company, anywhere, that offer any service. biggrin

offtopic

Delete

burningoftheclavey
SILVER Member since Jul 2005

burningoftheclavey

lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..

Total posts: 926
Posted:i like the layout of the new main page, and the lovely bright pics! hug

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

Delete

simta
BRONZE Member since Apr 2006

simta

compfuzzled

Total posts: 1182
Posted:OWD - why not look at demon, they have been going for years, and have always been solely an ISP, not a company thats jumped on bandwagon. may be the type of company your looking for

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

Delete

Yakumo

Yakumo

veteran

Posted:UCOF - Spanner got really screwed by their billing shenanigans, and I was pretty sure you'd had MSN problems trying to chat to me on plenty of occasions tongue

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:We never got screwed by their billing shenanigans, and I think the problem was on Pidgin wink

Delete

Gnor
BRONZE Member since Mar 2003

Gnor

Carpal \'Tunnel

Total posts: 5814
Posted:Spunky main page biggrin

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:Pretty ubbrollsmile

Might just me being stupid, but... is there a "login" button somewhere on the main page? If not, could there be one please?

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

simta

simta

compfuzzled

Posted: Written by :Birgit

... is there a "login" button somewhere on the main page? If not, could there be one please?

+1

Delete

-sandy-
BRONZE Member since Jul 2004

-sandy-

old hand

Total posts: 716
Posted:The 'contact us' tab jumps around from page to page on my version of safari (3.1.1) in the forum its under 'meet others' and moves to under 'go shopping' on the home page.

Looks nice apart from that.
biggrin

"Don't do it naked!"

Delete

0ni

0ni

Total posts: 59
Posted:when you click the "home" tab, the "home" page shows the library tab highlighted.

DEAD FREEDOM
if you've forgotten how to scream, then scream here and live here

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:0ni - Ive noticed that too. umm

FF 2.0.0.14 and XP Pro SP2.

Also, this page http://www.homeofpoi.com/company/cookies.php says I have Netscape 5.0 confused

Delete

georgemc
BRONZE Member since Oct 2006

georgemc

Sitting down facing forward . . .

Total posts: 2387
Posted: Written by :Birgit

... is there a "login" button somewhere on the main page? If not, could there be one please?

If we put one there, where would it take you to when you logged in? Shop or Forum or lessons???? We haven't done this previously because who's to say where the majority of people want to go and do. Hmmmm, I wonder if we can have the login plus a tick box as to where you want to go?
Will discuss with Malcolm.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Delete

0ni

0ni

Posted:haha me too!

i do'nt know what version of firefox, 2.0.something or other and same os as you.

this is just an aesthetics thing, and i'm not sure what kind of solution to suggest.
on all the pages except for 3, there is a google searchbar and a "circles of light" promo
then on the shop and cart pages, there is only "ten reasons to buy from us" with no google search bar

and finally on the community page, there are pictures in the center, i presume from circles of light, with a google searchbar

also, the liquid-y layout causes the google toolbar to squish the circles of light text to an impossibly small column when i make my window as small as i like to generally keep it.

first question -- why do you even need that google bar there? it seems kind of useless. i guess i suggest replacing it with the 10 reasons to shop from us link, to keep every page consistent. in other words - from top left to top right, HoP banner, circles of light pictures with SMALLER text below, 10 reasons to buy from us link.

THEN if that google searchbar is really that necessary, couldn't it go in a footer or be embedded somewhere else more useful ? i think it is overlooked in the top right corner. it could be just me but i would rather use the google searchbar included with my browser or click the "search" link under the forum main page. another suggestion might be to add a "search" tab or sub-menu option, or add it at the top/center of each main page right below the navigation menu.

DEAD FREEDOM

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:I like that google search bar. I've used it many times to google search only through HOP smile

Delete

simta

simta

compfuzzled

Posted: Written by :georgemc

Written by :Birgit

If we put one there, where would it take you to when you logged in? Shop or Forum or lessons???? We haven't done this previously because who's to say where the majority of people want to go and do. Hmmmm, I wonder if we can have the login plus a tick box as to where you want to go?

Will discuss with Malcolm.

i would say it should by default lead to forums, but the tickbox idea is good

Delete

Birgit
BRONZE Member since Jan 2005

Birgit

had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much

Total posts: 4145
Posted:I would've said to "my home", but yeah, the tickbox (especially if you can get the computer to remember the choice) would work fine.
Alternatively it might be practical to have a kind of "login to..." button under all three main bits (forums, shop, lessons).

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Delete

0ni

0ni

Posted:the google search bar is useful, true! but i think it would do better somewhere else, just my humble opinion.

question - do you have to have 3 different logins for each of the 3 different pages? if it's the same login why can't you just stay on the page you're at? then when you decide to go to the other pages, you will be logged in already

DEAD FREEDOM

Delete

UCOF

UCOF

Carpal \'Tunnel

Posted:I agree with the 0ni. smile
I see no reason to have a login box on the main home page. The most of us come here for the forum, so if we come to that and login, then decide to go to the shop, then like said, we will already be logged in.

If new users come to the site, they don't have an account, so if they got o the shop, they will need to create a new account anyway.

Delete

0ni

0ni

Posted:i wasnt necessarily saying that a login on the main page is unnecessary, but i think it's unnecessary to have to redirect the user....chances are likely that they will click themselves on whatever page they want to go to. then, like you said ucof, if a user is coming to the forum anyway, there's a login box right on the forum. and if they're going to shop, there's a login on the shop already too...

DEAD FREEDOM

Delete

Page: 12