ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
So I’m heading in for some foot surgery tomorrow and while it is no big deal in the scheme of surgery type things I’m still super nervous. I have never had surgery before except when I was really young and can’t remember it at all.

I think I’m mostly nervous because I really don’t know what to expect, all I have been told is to show up at the hospital tomorrow morning and not to eat from 12pm tonight.

Does any one have insightful tips on what I should take with me and or some kind words to keep my nerves down. Or even stories about what things that happen when you go in to surgery?

Some of the things I’m most curious about are, Do the needles for anesthetics and stuff hurt a lot? Or is it weird when they knock you out? I don’t have a problem with needles at all and I have had heaps of dental work done but all of that was while I was awake.

I'm sure i'll do fine and I'm being a big wuss, but yeah still a little freaked :P

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
General anasthetic? As in you're unconcious?
It's cool biggrin
It's completely not like going to sleep... one minute you're lying there, talking to the doctors, very small prick in the arm (no sniggering), some weird floaty feeling and then... you wake up biggrin
Doesn't feel like time has passed or anything, it's a really odd (but nice) feeling.
Feel a bit groggy afterwards, but generally, it's all good smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
GA is the weirdest feeling I have ever experienced! as in cool weird not "argh oh my god it's horrible weird". Could feel it going up my arm and then the next thing I knew I was calling a female nurse tom.....for some strange reason

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Yeah I'm having a general.
Good to hear its not to weird. Is it kind of like if you faint?

misscorinthianSILVER Member
old hand
784 posts

Posted:
A couple of years ago I was in the same position (I even posted a thread in here about it lol) I was terrified of the whole general anaesthetic thing.

I spoke to the anaesthetist about it beforehand, and he was really reassuring. When I went into surgery, he gave me something before the anaesthetic which he said would make me feel like I had had a couple of gin and tonics... well, it kicked in 20 seconds later and I honestly didn't care what they did to me after that!

I vaguely remember my eyes closing and being laid down, then a mask over my face, and a man talking really softly and soothingly to me. Then it was a lady talking and soothing, and my jaw felt all shivery and wierd. I literally felt like I was a baby being cooed over- really safe and watched over. It took me a while to realise I was actually in recovery and the whole thing was over- it honestly felt seamless between the man and the lady talking, but there was 45 mins and a whole operation in between!

I don't think I would worry at all about having a general now, but I would definately talk to the anaesthetist first (and get that g&t shot again ubblol ) and I would advise that you do too- tell them you are nervous, it's their job to deal with stuff like that.

I hope it all goes well for you
hug

XLenX

Devoted although mostly absent owner of the 1, the original... Asena

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
Cool that doesn't sound so bad smile
Thanks for you posts guys it really helped. ubbrollsmile
Let you all know how it went.

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
They gave me valium before I went under general anaesthetic the first time. It was wicked biggrin

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Ditto to LTC.

A couple of milligrams of valium and I could have cared less if they had told me they were going to castrate me with a rusty hacksaw. biggrin

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
810 posts

Posted:
tee hee, it all went well and yeah the general was kinda nice in a weird way.
Got some endone for the pain now and every thing is just a little nice :P

Thanks for you support guys, the surgury went really well and it dosen't hurt to bad. Now with all these pins in my foot people might mistake me for some kind of bionic woman smile

burningoftheclaveySILVER Member
lurking like a ninja with no camouflage..
926 posts

Posted:
my friends getting her pins taken out today.. more anaesthetic and mellow pills for her! biggrin
hug

on spam robots - "Burn the robot! Melt him down, and then we can make lots and lots of money from his shiiiny juices!"

Owned by Brenn smile

rin_666SILVER Member
enthusiast
223 posts

Posted:
yay biggrin glad your surgery went well biggrin