solarisBRONZE Member
stranger
13 posts

Posted:
so i was thinking of starting spinning fire..and in a moment it crossed my mind..that some times i might get burned or injured..so i would like to hear from all of you that had some experience with these thing..leave a story or better a pic..
(dont think im crazy...am just interested) ubbloco ubbloco
ubblol

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yes, it is likely that you will. ALWAYS have a damp towel at hand when spinning fire so you can put toys out immediately if you tangle or burn: and preferably a person to help you if you need. For poi, spin off excess fuel using a spin off jar.

NEVER wear loose flappy or synthetic clothing. Have aloe vera or other decent burn cream handy. Immersion in clean cold water is the best treatment for light burns. Seek medical attention immediately if a burn goes through the skin: burns infect easily.

One of the common time people get burned is when handling toys that have gone out... the metal will still be hot and you can be off guard because there are no flames. Have a cloth or separate towel to put toys on to cool down, away from fuel and cool toys.

Don't create trip hazards by doing toddler drops (dumping them on the ground when you're finished with no thought for other people.)

Make sure anyone around you is aware that you can't see much beyond the fire and to stay away from you.
There's a million other tips but that's my lot for now.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
ditto

Also be warned you can brand yourself when doing wraps with fire poi.

That said and done I show them off if people ask if I get burnt whilst spinning fire:)

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

natasqiaddict
489 posts

Posted:
Know first aid really well, find out from a real medical source, not some second hand "I hear milk is really good" type. Ask your GP next time, or google it.. There are plenty of first aid burns handbooks.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Everyone's advice here is great, heed it well.

But I'd like to add how great I think it is that someone has posted a thread asking about fire safety etc

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
HoP articles on fire safety, including first aid:

https://www.homeofpoi.com/articles/FireSafety.php

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
 Written by :jo_rhymes

Everyone's advice here is great, heed it well.

But I'd like to add how great I think it is that someone has posted a thread asking about fire safety etc

Well said

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil