Forums > Social Discussion > RIP Albert Hoffman aged 102

Login/Join to Participate

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
I held off putting the topic up to see if anyone else would.

A man who single-handedly changed the face of this planet.

Whatever you may think about what he created and the effect it has had, you cannot deny the fact this world would be a very very different place without it.

His substance allowed Francis Crick to formulate the spiral model of DNA that we all know and recognise.

The art/music/books that would not have happened without him.

Even the adverts we see on tv would be so completely different.

RIP Albert Hoffman - January 11, 1906 – April 29, 2008

a man who changed the face of this planet, and the minds of the people who walk it.

https://blog.wired.com/wiredscience/2008/04/lsd-inventor-al.html

https://www.boingboing.net/2008/04/29/albert-hoffman-rip.html

https://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7374846.stm

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/7377041.stm

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
i only found out today its definately true.... was an internet rumour for a while!

many shall mourne but none in sorrow i am sure, he lead a full life and taught us all so much, both through science and personal philosophy.

will never be forgotten i am sure

much respect

T R.I.P

pyromania pixie power!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
it was confirmed 2 days ago from several friends of his, and there was also a message sent to erowid

i find it amazing that theres been 80 views and only one reply

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
i think the vast majority have no idea just how valuable this mans' research was to us all, wether thats scientific or otherwise.

most people probably just think he was some quack who invented something they are scared of. thats certainly the worlds general reaction to acid anyway.

its very sad that someone so sweet, intelligent, giving and iconic is overlooked in todays society but thats just the way it is

everyone i know has had a little prayer for the guy. i reckon there will be some tribuatary stamps going round the festie circuit this year...

pyromania pixie power!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
yeah the vast majority dont quite understand how this world would be ENTIRELY different.

i think a lot of people on here will make out this is a gross exaggeration, but cannot quite comprehend in how many different ways his work has contributed.

if your at SL or play, we shall have to raise a jar to one of the only true legends

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
i am hoping to be at both ;->
SL is literally on my doorstep and Play looks amazing

yes too many people are caught up in the 'acid is the worst drug in the world and anyone to do with it is evil' cruicible-style slander that goes along with it

Hoffman wasnt even a tripper though really, just a clever scientist who changed alot of lives. something tells me if it werent for him, we would still think the world is flat ;-)

pyromania pixie power!

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
I can't speak for everyone else but I'll mourn my own way

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
his was definitely a life to celebrate not a death to mourn.

i dont want this thread to really go into 'cid, and anything about that. that wasnt my intention, and im not trying to promote it in anyway.

BUT

i am trying to draw attention to a talented scientists life which in some way has affected us all, regardless of our age/experiences/lifestyle.

find me at SL and we shall toast his life and celebrate the world he's contributed so much to

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
yeah i certainly dont feel like mourning, 102 is a ripe old age even in hobbit lore so i think hes done really well (most sources say he was pretty ill towards the end anyway) so celebrating his wonderful life is the way forward definately

my friend told me last night he was the first to discover that hair, nails and teeth are made from the same substance found in plants, shells of insects and other 'armour' the creatures on this planet have. All the same stuff. i cant remember how to spell it or i would write it down!

will attempt to find you at SL... have you any distingusing features?

pyromania pixie power!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
yep tall and asian and im going to be working, so may have some special top on

see you there smile

on the left in this pic

Non-Https Image Link

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Thanks Albert,

May the world learn to use your gift, and live as long as you.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
 Written by :feeb

102 is a ripe old age even in hobbit lore

Ay, Tenty-Two ain't bad biggrin

*Raises glass*

Keratin is the substance

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
*pour out a little liquor*

.Morph.SILVER Member
addict
669 posts

Posted:
R.I.P. Mr Hoffman.

Erowid Link

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Dedicated to him, with glorious music and full visuals. Enjoy hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
okay, bold with massive ball *makes mental note*

pyromania pixie power!

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
 Written by :BurdaA

Keratin is the substance

cheers, it was late last night when we discussed it, i couldnt help thinking 'creosote' and i just knew it wasnt that!

pyromania pixie power!

SpacialDancernewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I find it very interesting that he died on the heal of his wife. It seems very common for people who have long relationships to die in close vicinity of each other. I suppose we should congratulate his life, and not mourn his death (for many feel they experience it multiple times by his great insight in chemistry). Centenarians are amazing indeed! It says much that he lived to such an age!

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
and was active giving lectures etc..

he was due to speak at the next world psychedelic forum

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
didnt he speak at a rave about six months ago in Austria or a surrounding country. I'm sure he went and did a little speech and thank the massive for what they had done with his problem child

it might have been two years ago (my memories shot) but he was definatly over 100. top fella

pyromania pixie power!