Page:
akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
I'm the happy owner of one of Dai's amazing Buugeng:

Where to buy them:
https://www.zaobab.com/buugeng_about.html

Home of Poi lessons:
https://www.homeofpoi.com/lessons_all/teach/Library-Staff-S-Staff-Buugeng-4_48_0

I received the smaller version, which, with shipping to UK, came to about £60. A fantastic birthday present smile And you get two of them with a really nice bag, so £30 each with bag isn't *so* bad. (I will note here that before buying them with my birthday money I tried to make my own out of plywood ... it was a disaster redface)

Some people have been asking me about the quality of them, whether it's worth buying them all the way from South Africa. I'll try and give my opinion of them here. I'm not gonna say anything about spinning the damn things, as the technique thread is here:

[Old link]

First of all, the wood-working quality is excellent, they have an excellent 'heft' to them. The colour is nice and shiny too. I can't describe just how good it feels to spin something that truly feels "crafted" rather than mass-produced, injection moulded, etc. I feel like I'm spinning something with value, rather something that could just be replaced with a quick click on a fire toys website.

A note about the mechanism. From Dai's tutorial videos you can see that they unfold out from a banana-shape. In the folded position, the curves are held in place by strong magnets - they require a strong flick of the wrist to unfold, and the motion is very smooth - the pivot works great, without any creaking. The only trouble I'll mention here is that if you keep 'unfolding' the buugeng in the same direction, you'll gradually unwind the pivot (which is a thread screw with a washer that bores itself into the wood). I guess just a little care will prevent this from becoming a major concern. Even if this pivot does work itself loose, once the buugeng 'snap' into position, the magnets make sure the prop stays steady. When I drop the staff in the 'unfolded' position, the buugeng does not fold up, it stays in its proper shape. These magnets are great - but they're not so strong such that it's difficult to close.

The weighting is a lot lighter than I imagined it would be - there is not any extra weight towards the tips of the S-curves, making keeping in plane extremely difficult (or more fun to learn, depending on how you look at it!).

I hope this has been clear, if you guys want any more info I'll try my best to answer. Though do give Dai a call through his website, that would be a better way of going about it. I even got a beautiful hand-written note with my buugeng. The attention to detail he's put into this props is stunning, and they were well worth the money. I wish everyone here would go out and get some, so we can all start thinking of new tricks to do with them!

Thanks Dai hug !

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I have a red set on order myself, so I'm really happy to read that you're happy with the quality. Thanks for the info about the pivot screw, I'll keep an eye on that. I was concerned about how smooth that action was going to be, but it looks like I need not worry about it.

I can't wait to get my hands on these!

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
I bought a gold set.... smile

Should be waiting for me when I get back to the UK...

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
mmm they do look really nice. Now, can I afford to split my practice time into yet another toy?? ubbloco

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
I nearly got the gold set, just so I could shout "bling!" at the top of my voice while I wave them at people smile

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
Wow those are loverly.
I love the lessons too that guys is so keen and helpful biggrin

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I never gave these much thought before, but after watching the videos I think they look amazing!!

As soon as I get some excess money... I'm gonna buy the yellow ones!! biggrin

For $89 you get two medium staffs and a carry-bag for it, and then you pay an additional $32 for postage.

That comes to $121 (or £61)

That's really not that bad for two staffs, a bag, and postage.

I think I'll have to save some cash. biggrin

Edit:

One thing I'd like to ask...

As visually stunning as it seems, does the Buugeng/S Staff feel limited in what it can actually do? Can it do far less than a normal staff? Or are the shapes and patterns seemingly endless?
EDITED_BY: Skatto (1209560935)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

For goodness sake, don't aggravate the otters!!!

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
At the moment, I'm feeling a tad limited by them, but I think that's entirely myself, rather than the prop. There DOES seem to be a lot less to do than staff or poi (that's documented) but how long have people been spinning staff and poi? More than ten years? That's a long time to invent a lot of new moves, especially with such a large user-base. I'm guessing once more people get these things, and everyone's been using them for a few seasons, things will pick up.

Looking at the video in the second post of the S-staff moves thread, gives you an idea of what's achievable. And of course watching Dai's videos. And even then, there must be more. I can pretty much pull off most double staff spinning moves with these things (having a good grounding in double staff was SUCH a help with these). As with every prop I've tried to learn, it's always getting the individual moves to flow into each other thats the tricky (*and ultimately most rewarding) part.

The ultimate (IMO) good thing about using these staffs is that you can achieve almost contact juggling-like feats of mime to make your audience smile and laugh. The shapes you can make with these things, rather than the moves, seem endless. So once we start merging the moves and the shapes, we'll be well on our way smile An example of this is spinning a basic 1-beat pattern, then slowing it RIGHT down as the staffs approach each other to see the shapes made in negative space around them form and shift. Dai does this excellently in his vids. Of course putting them under your nose to make a big yellow moustache is equally as fun biggrin and therein lies the magic!

*goes off to play with them some more

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Yes, I see what you mean with the comedy... the bull-head/horns in Dai's video (when he chased after some innocent bystanders in the park) was hilarious!!

I'm not too good with doubles yet - I can only do one or two basic moves with them.

These Buugeng look so groovy though, that I think I'll buy some as soon as I master all the basics with doubles.

Thanks for the quick response. ^.^

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
you bringin them to poi in the punt akgraphics? would be cool to have a little play with them

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
https://www.zaobab.com/buugeng_movie.html
^ 2 videos on his website. ubbloco

And if you type in 'Buugeng' on youtube, one or two more show up.

His website ones are really interesting.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
They'll be making an appearance at Poi in the Punt - I *think* they're waterproof :P

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
They mesmerise ppl.

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
I can't decide between red or yellow. ubbloco

I wanna get some and start thinking up ideas with you guys n' gals!

Edit:

Ordered the yellow ones!! biggrin cool
EDITED_BY: Skatto (1209746663)

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I'm buying a set biggrin

Just have to wait til payday....

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Whats the history behind them?

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
 Written by

A device similar to the Buugeng was once used by the amazing Michael Moschen. Inspired by this, Dai Murata combined it with his extraordinary fire-dancing, spinning and juggling skills, leading to the development of the Buugeng. But the Buugeng is more than just a device: it's also a set of techniques, skills and movements combined with the philosophy of ancient martial arts.

https://www.zaobab.com/buugeng_about.html

Not tons of info, but it gives you an idea.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I am quite, quite annoyed at my post office.

The package was delivered, but taken away as they needed a signature. Now the post office doesn't know where it is. It's not officially "lost" yet, so there's nothing to do but wait.

My beautiful, beautiful red Buugeng are SOMEWHERE near me. I just can't get them. I hope they're found. SOON!

I just wanted to share my pain.

PAAAAAIIIIIINNNNNN!!!!

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Skatto

Not tons of info, but it gives you an idea.

thanks hug

Is it the Truth?

angelSinsnewbie
1 post

Posted:
i was looking for something new other than single staff and i picked up some poi but dont really feel it but then was surfing the staff areas and found these buugeng, and i fell in love with them but they are sold out!!!! and i cant find a email for zoabab does anyone have any contact details.??? so i can ask him when he will be receiving more for sale thru stock.

cheers guys and gals

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
What I like on Buugeng is their portability or transportation ability,

first staff where I like the idea, how to make them easy to wear.

Steve?..Po! smile,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I know that when I ordered mine I found his email address on the site. He may have taken it down while they're out of stock.

mparkerSILVER Member
70 posts

Posted:
I did get my Buugeng! I picked them up today. Silly post office had them there the whole time!

They are SO lovely! I'll have to post once I've given them a try. I opened the box here in the office at work, and there's no room to play.

I have to mention, like one of the other people to get them, that I LOVED the little note he included. Sparkly!

ubblove

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Umm ... I broke mine frown

I was doing a routine for a show at Cambridge Community Circus. I was basically monkeying around with them, running to-and-fro, havning a blast. Unfortunately I was wearing socks on a slippery floor and BAM I fell *onto* one of them, forcing a great big filthy crack into one, near the shaft. Man that hurt, my kidney and my ego!

But a bit of sellotape later, and they're still going strong smile

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
just about to order mine cant wait for them biggrin biggrin biggrin biggrin

EDIT: no im not theyre out of stock frown
EDITED_BY: fanged_angel (1210967901)

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Same here fanged, but I got an email a few days ago saying they've sent mine - you won't have to wait much longer! biggrin

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
Got mine today!! biggrin

Man they're hard to keep in a straight plane.

All the simple staff moves seem really weird.
Can't wait to get better at it.

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
Keep at it, it really pays off smile

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
mine arrived! I'm a total dunce at it but will keep practising. Serves me right for sloppy technique with double staff all these years.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

SkattoGOLD Member
Walking on whims...
687 posts

Posted:
My arms just don't know where to go. tongue

It's pretty fun though.
Practice practice practice ubbloco

Skatto

"Fly like a mouse,
Run like a cushion,
Be the small bookcase."

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
CAN'T WAIT!!

hug,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

Page: