feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
ello, i am looking into buying some fire poi, i havent as yet, because i already cart round ma sock poi, and all my contact balls so i barely have room!!

it is time though, transportation has given me the nudge to invest in some decent fire poi. I am happy to spend a bit of money, thing is, i dance with aerotechs in socks, they are pretty heavy but i am used to them, i would want my fire poi to be pretty heavy and not too long

does anyone have any suggestions?? i like the look of the monkey fist poi, i dont think i have ever spun any but they seem to be more specific for people used to slightly shorter and heavier poi... is this about right?

any advice gratefully accepted.

pyromania pixie power!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
My first bit of advice would be search these forum as this question has been asked LOADS of times.. I'm surprised it didn't suggest some previous threads when you tried to post this in fact...

smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
no oddly enough it didnt, i did search for the name i put on (which i thought was fairly generic) but it didnt seem to bring up any fruitful (or up to date advice) maybe i am doing it wrong...

pyromania pixie power!

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I recommend monkey fist with oval links and leather handles.

They have never broken, apart from when a head flew off, but that was because i unscrewed one of the links and forgot to fully screw it back shut!

The only other ones i would get would be some isis heads

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
yeah i have been looking at getting some monkey fist with wooden handles (i do throws and stuff) and failing that will get the same setup but with isis. i dont quite know the difference, but monkey fist look cool and ball like so i like em!

pyromania pixie power!

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
isis or monkey fist!! advice needed!!

pyromania pixie power!

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
pretty please
with cheese on top

pyromania pixie power!

fire.chefcrazy mofo
99 posts

Posted:
personaly ive always made my own. making your own sorts out all the variables like the weight, length of chain etc also it gives you the chance to put as much wick on as you want one of my sets has a meter on each and the burn time is longer than ive ever known any to be, and it is quite simple to make your own just buy plenty of wick and you'll be able to make 2/3 sets for the price you pay for just 1 set

Yo Yo Yo motherfcukers

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Im surprised you werent able to find out more search results on this topic, but whatever. Its not a problem.

Anywho, first things first: have you ever spun fire before? if not, I would advise not choosing the Isis at first. The flames are huge. Monkeyfist is smaller, but still a nice large, long burning flame.

However, if you really like throws, then the Isis has this really nice weight which contributes to a decent flight. Doesn't really need any counter weights or anything.

speaking of throws, I am not so fond of wood handles. I've found that you have to catch them spot on, or else they sting. I have developed a braided cotton rope handle that is soft and easy to catch. Only thing to be aware of is to avoid getting fuel all over it. There is no reason to get all fancy though. A plain single loop leather handle works just dandy. wink

Since you are looking at monkey fist and Isis, I would recommend the oval link welded chain. Its nigh unbreakable from spinning and its easy to inspect for potential problems (something that can be a hidden hazard for ball chain). Heavier poi can put additional strain on chains.

just for the record though, I have never bought monkey fist or Isis poi from any of the companies. Like Fire.Chef, I just buy the kevlar rope and make them myself. So I cannot really tell you about the durability and design quality of the makers.

btw: welcome to fire spinning. Be safe and have a blast. smile

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
thanks so much for the advice guys, a good poi friend made me a lovely sturdy pair of monkey fists and i LOVE them

admittidly next time i need to change them i will make my own knot, looks like fun if nothing else!!

i agree about the wooden handles, tbh i thought they would be alot smaller and easier to spin with but they really arent. i think i will go back to leather.

thanks for the advice guys, i did do a search but personal advice is what is neccessary, i am happy to delete the post now if thats easier for you guys...

if i had had any basis for comparison i would have just searched but as these are my first pair i just needed personal advice.

pyromania pixie power!

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
no worries. And don't delete this thread. If someone else comes along with a similar topic, now they have something that should pop up on the search results. wink

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow