Forums > Social Chat > Black Squirrels, good or bad. Discuss...

Login/Join to Participate

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:

Non-Https Image Link

https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/4365002.stm

It seems they may be a threat to the grey and red squirrels because they have higher levels of testosterone and eat more things.

Is it good that they are doing well? They're cetainly very pretty animals (although I have yet to see one in the flesh)

EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1209248472)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Holzy1SILVER Member

Posted:
lol it's nice to know that even in the woods i can find racial diversity. do the black squirrels always complain bout how the white squirrels hold them down and steal all their nuts with their crazy nut taxes?

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Depends if they're dyed or natural..

Though it's suprisingly hard to dye a squirrel.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I will not stand for this racist BS.

Black Squirrels are just as good as White Squirrels!

You should be ashamed for starting this thread. Black squirrels are people, too!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
They unfortunate thing which the sophisticted black variety is the each a greater variety of foods;)

I thing they are rather stunning, look at that innocent face

(First Post edited wink)
EDITED_BY: jemima (jem) (1209248549)

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
hope they dont make it over to blighty cos i prefer to keep it real with red squirrels even if they do kinda suck when you consider that theyve almost been wiped out by grey ones an now theres even bigger and stronger black ones... frown

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Joking aside, I'd love to hear some more seriouse discussion on this. Thanks smile

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Their already here 25000 of them! In the surrounding counties of London.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
? where are you getting that number from?

Mutant animals show up all the time- I could dig up some really quite disturbing mutant frog pictures if you like- they've been around for ages, just when someone takes a photo they act like it's a new thing..

Incidently, we have truly bizarre laws about grey squirrels in this country anyway- if you do want a discussion- if you find an abandoned baby/injured grey squirrel, it's quite legal to take it home and look after it. Once it's adult/recovered however, it's illegal to keep it without a (hard to get) license, as they're classed as a wild animal, it's illegal to release it, as it's a non-native animal, so the only thing you're officially allowed to is either kill it, or permanently disable it..
EDITED_BY: hamamelis (1209253081)

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
25000? eek quick! to formby to protect the red squirrels!!! lol i can picture red squirrels going 300 style on an army of black an grey squirrels

Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
https://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2008/apr/26/endangeredspecies
The Guardian said there could be "as many as 25000".

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
as they are just grey squirrels in black clothing then i should imagine that they mate and hang out with the other greys, so i don't think they are a threat in the same way the greys are to the reds, not sure though.

i think we just have to observe them and see what happens, also if they are a threat to the greys then is there much we can do about it?

anyway I've forgotten what i was originally going to say so ill grace you with some links instead

link

linky

linkster

biodiversity action plan

telegraph

link (another)

ill post again when i remember what i was going to say smile
oh yeah and you get black red squirrels as well

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

blackrose1member
198 posts

Posted:
I'm a animal rights activist I'm even one of those people that get arrested for protesting Black squirrels have just as much right as any other

please have patience when reading my posts as english is not my first language
Im blonde and irish all in one Explains all
Forgive me

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
COOL! Black squirrels are feaking sweet. I hope they eat all the other squirrels. Survival of the fittest baby.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

blackrose1member
198 posts

Posted:
It wouldnt be the black squirrel that wins its the bright orange ones you have to look out for

Forgive me

MandSILVER Member
Keeper of the Spitfire
2,317 posts

Posted:
Over here in Alberta black squirrels are the norm (and yes they are unbelievably cute!). I think they're the native species, though I couldn't be 100% sure on that, and there's hundreds of them everywhere.
I have seen a few greys over here, and whilst they seem almost totally unafraid of humans, they won't seem to go near the black squirrels.

As far as the UK goes, I think that black squirrels or no black squirrels, the days of reds in the wild are numbered, and that's sad.
As a kid I did a lot of hiking in Scotland, and I remember seeing 3 or 4 reds a year. Not anymore.

Lets steal a spaceship and head for the sun, and shoot the stars with a lemonade ray gun.

blackrose1member
198 posts

Posted:
It is sad alot of the animals are getting killed of with the rabbit bait and lots of other baits that have been put out and its a painful way to die its sad as when our next generation grows up they will miss out on alot of seeing different species

Forgive me

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
As much as it grieves me, we have a solution...

Non-Https Image Link

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Now THAT little bushy-tailed feller has good taste!

Gonna have a hell of a time finding his nipples to baptize him, though... wink

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Silk_the_ElfGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
You know there's a lot to be said about natrual selection, however people tend to screw it up for the rest of the animal kingdom. Non-native species are a big problem and can easily threaten native species by throwing off the 'natrual balance' of an area. I am by no means an expert, but removing the non-native species seems to be the best option. (though not the easiest.) This too though becomes a problem when we factor in questions such as: how was this non-native species introduced? Would it have happened without human aid? In removing this species are we stagnating the evolutionary process of native animals?
Again no expert, just contempletive.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Heres the other solution

Non-Https Image Link

EDITED_BY: PyroWill (1209759864)

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I don't think black squirrels, grey squirrels or red squirrels are either good or bad, they simply are what they are.
Some of them are better at surviving in their environment and then steal the others' niche.

I do miss the red squirrels, I haven't seen one for a long long time, but I do like the grey squirrels too.

I'm yet to see a black squirrel, they certainly look pretty urban don't they! Camouflaged for the polluted cities, yummy.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.