Forums > Help! > how do you say parafin in spanish?

Login/Join to Participate

lolaninanewbie
4 posts

Posted:
Hi,

I'm moving to Spain and I don't know how to look for parafin for my fire poi... I went to South America at Xmas and all I seemed to be offered was Rhum! LOL! But true... Hence I need to find out what I am looking for and where I am looking for it...

Happy spinning!
ubbrollsmilenull

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Paraffin in Spanish = el Queroseno.

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

lolaninanewbie
4 posts

Posted:
where can i buy it? which shop can i buy this in?

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
if you're moving to Spain, sounds like you have a bit more to worry about that just being able to find Paraffin... you're gonna need to find food as well... wink

As for where to buy it out there, I'm not entirely sure. When I lived there, I didn't spin any fire at all, but then I was in the middle of a city. I suspect the petrol stations will carry it.

I also highly recommend learning a bit more than just the basic spanish before you get out there...

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

lolaninanewbie
4 posts

Posted:
I know I know... This is a whole new adventure... The fun of the unknown...

I am also planning on taking spanish lesson... Plus I always get by... It's just that fire spinning equipment is very particular...

I'm moving to barcelona and I have found throuh HOP that you can play at the parco de la ciutadella... I'm also looking forward to meet a dude called buzz selling poi somewhere in town...

:o)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
What is the poll looking thing for?

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
for voting?

I chose both biggrin
Do I get a prize?

flyingpenguinnimember
114 posts

Posted:
When i used to live in Madrid we used to buy "Parafina" o "aceite para lamparas" en Leroy & Merlin wich is a big shop for garden stuff... But you can really find it anywere even in Continente wich is a big supermarket and that might sort out aswell the food! Where about are you going? Some petrol stations will have it i suppose. I never got it there!

Go to Parque del Retiro on a Sunday night for spining fire! beautiful!!

I had to beat him to death with his own shoes... but that's another story all together.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ya it seemed to me that in Europe it was commonly possible to buy odourless 'lamp oil' in supermarketsd and hardware/garden shops which was better than stinky kero anyway.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
Kero smells delicious.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
umm

akgraphicsSILVER Member
133 posts

Posted:
I had real difficulties finding paraffin in Northern Spain, around the Zaragoza area - one person tried to sell me paraffin *wax* ... no sure what it was, but it looked like a big cube of candle-wax to me!

A good (but pricey) travel option is BBQ lighter fluid that's available in the big supermercados. It'w what I had to settle for when I was out there frown let us know how you fare when you get out there smile I love barcelona

0nimember
59 posts

Posted:
paraffin wax is what is in crayola crayons

seems to me you would just say parafín/parafina, or aceite de parafín to clarify that you dont want wax.

queroseno sounds like it would be kerosene not paraffin, and those are two different substances with different behavior.

or like someone said up there, aceite para lamparas.

i would love to go to spain some day <3 have a blast!

DEAD FREEDOM
if you've forgotten how to scream, then scream here and live here