Forums > Social Discussion > Official shutdown of the Portland Fire Jam

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
GidgBRONZE Member
Super Gidg!!!!
8,506 posts

Posted:
The news has now been officially communicated, our local Fire and Drum Jam has been officially closed. The Portland Parks and Recreation and Portland Fire Department will be enforcing the two year old “no open fire” ordinance in public parks. As the ordinance stands right now there is no way that we can challenge it and it’s a $500.00 fine if you get caught. This weekend will be the first Fire and Drum Jam after the meeting so we expect that the police will be out to enforce the ordinance and there will be people getting ticketed.

The one bright spot is that PP&R and the PFD is willing to talk with us to try and figure out what can be done for the fire community and to reestablish the fire part of the Fire and Drum Jam.

This is a dark day for the fire community in Portland. For those people (like me) that the Fire and Drum Jam was the only venue for spinning fire … let’s just say that my fire toys have been put up until something can be done. Spinning glows just isn’t the same, which will be the only legal light that can be spun.

I’m going to miss it.

Growing old is mandatory; growing up is NOT.
Proud member of the HoP DPS.
Sanity is a highly overrated state of mind.
I'm normal ... it's everyone else that's crazy.

Gidg

BurntCrispyPoister
8 posts

Posted:
Seattle has similar problems with the public/law and firespinners. If someone in your group has a private residence with a large yard/property area you might be able to get around it like that. Although then maybe neighbors might be upset about all the drumming <_<

BurntCrispyPoister
8 posts

Posted:
I just read that long post, you actually need a permit to spin at a private residence? That seems a bit ridiculous to me. Where did you learn that?

Page: