Forums > Social Discussion > HoP moderation - opinions please

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
This is not a place to bitch about or praise the current moderators! What we would like to know is your thoughts on the amount of moderation and how visible you prefer your mods to be.

Currently, we think the Community forum is ticking along fairly nicely with no great visible presence (i.e. posting) by the majority of us Mods and Admin types. However, when something happens that requires Mod/Admin presence we get alerted and it gets actioned as we are all 'lurking' in the background. But some recent comments suggest perhaps that this style doesn't suit everyone. Some people would prefer to see the Mods/Admins visibly present by posting more frequently. And then others perhaps feel that they don't want to see this as it looks like 'Big Brother is Watching' perhaps.

It's a little like the police - do you prefer to see the cops out pounding the beat being seen on the street to give you a sense of security, or do you prefer not to see them at all until you need them so you have a greater feeling of freedom?

Now's you chance to have a say on this important subject. Feel free to vote and add any comments you feel are relevant beyond the vote but please DO NOT use this thread to single out any particular Mods/Admins for specific comment. If you do wish to comment about an individual Mod/Admin, as with any complaints or praise about/for individuals they should be directed to the management in private - so e-mail or PM Malcolm in this case.

Thanks
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Moderately visible. That's fine with me.

Mods don't need to be around really. Just because they aren't posting doesn't mean they're not around. Not only that, but I'm sure most people are aware that the mods have their own forum, where they can communicate with each other and keep a close eye on the board.

That's all you need.

Mods can post in public or not. Just as long as they're around to slap things in place when need be. That's cool.

They should be allowed to post as little or as much as they like.

But we also like feedback. Disappearing members and no notification to anyone else? Well, the plural isn't necessary... but maybe that policy needs to be revised.

smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
Personally I think this 'mods posting frequently/infrequnetly' is pretty confusing- is it referring to mods posting in a 'non-mod' capacity i.e. posting their opinions and contributing to threads, or posting in a mod capacity?

If the former, then I reckon it's fairly irrelevant to the current issues concerning moderation discussed elsewhere- IMO, the extent to which a mod chooses to post in a non-mod capacity, is entirely down to their personal inclination,

If it's the second, then that's not really down to choice, it's as and when situations arise that require moderation.

My views on moderation are-

1. avoid locking threads as far as is humanly possible, cos the majority of posters in that thread have probably contributed valuable time, and it's pretty sickening when that's thrown away due to the actions of a minority who break the board guidelines.

(Obviously, feel free to warn those individuals and, if necessary, delete some of their posts, but, to me, locking of entire threads makes no sense whatsoever.)

2. if deleting posts (or placing them in a mods area temporarily), consider leaving a brief explanation- I can imagine it's pretty horrible to post an opinion, then find it just gone, with no explanation (I know pm's are usually sent, but, it's a public board and, i think many would prefer a public marker to be left).

Both those, I feel, show respect to those affected.

Sometimes, there's the impression that, occasionally, things aren't dealt with because the mods, understandably, have their own lives and can't be looking at all of what's going on- if that's an issue, I'd suggest bringing some extra mods on board (assuming there's people willing and capable of fulfilling those roles).

Other than that, i think HOP moderation, from what I've seen, is pretty good in general (obviously, as detailed eslewhere, I think some of the recent thread lockings were not so good): I think it's especially good that partial moderation by the community itself has been encouraged (e.g. encouraging people to use the 'report to mod' button, rather than kicking off and, the fact that long term members have some ability to manage threads).

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
And, it's also good that, when troubles arise, the management take the time to ask for feedback in threads like this smile

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
I've been posting here since '04 (though have had much more of a presence since '06) and I have found the moderation here to be quite satisfactory.

In regards to moderator presence, I feel it only really matters when there is a discrepancy on the forums (i.e. an inappropriate topic or user). There shouldn't be a need to post daily or semi daily if there is no substance in the mod's post, let alone a normal user. But still, it would be nice to see our mod's in the occasional thread scuffling amongst us mortal folk smile By having a moderator who is 'moderately visible' I feel it would make the mods seem more approachable and more humane which would be vital when attracting and keeping new forum members.

My two cents. In a nutshell, keep up the good work George, Malcolm and co smile

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

DentrassiGOLD Member
ZORT!
3,045 posts

Posted:
it doesnt bother me how visible or not a mod is - whether they spam in social, rant in discussion, or uber-geek in the technical sections is surely up to their own spare time?

it seems excessive to specify that mods have to have and outwardly active presence in yet another tedious online debate about gay christian vegan whales (or whatever) when it must be bad enough just having to read it - on top of all the other general forum admin.

as OWD pointed out - the seperate yet related issue is to what extent they are modding a conversation, and when are they merely participating? where does the line stand between the two for the mods - and where the general board percieves that line to be - and thats obviously going to be more of a conundrum for the mods who post more and have more vocal opinions. can one ever stop being a mod on a board?

going off on a bit of a tangent here so ill stop now.

D ubbrollsmile

"Here kitty kitty...." - Schroedinger.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
ditto

No, Dentrassi, I think that was well said.

An occasional hello in an intro thread to let us know you're still there is appreciated. That's all.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Whilst it can be irritating to some, personally I have no problem with Pele acting as a Mod and being an actively posting member of this board in SD and other forums.

I have no reason to question her integrity and would assume that her decisions are backed by other mods.

Other than that I feel that many times we're modding each other and ourselves - at least I can say that about those who frequently participate in SD...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

pineapple peteSILVER Member
water based
5,125 posts

Posted:
i feel that the mods should be able to post as they feel. after all, they're people like anyone else. myself and many others would know the ebb and flow of posting well, some weeks you post a lot, others maybe not at all. so, as long as the mods continue to do their jobs well, their rate of posting shouldnt make a difference.

essentially, i agree with ed smile

however, we could make it a manditory 11 posts a day, no more, no less wink

hug

"you know there are no trophys for doing silly things in real life yeah pete?" said ant "you wont get a 'listened to ride of the valkyries all the way to vietnam' trophy"

*proud owner of the very cute fire_spinning_angel, birgit and neon shaolin*

ben-ja-menGOLD Member
just lost .... evil init
2,474 posts

Posted:
I don't know to what extent this already happens but i think that it would be good if mods who are actively involved with a thread before it gets heated don't moderate it once it gets heated if rules are not being broken in a black/white clarity sense.

Seeings as the purpose of moderation is to keep things in reasonable limits it would be good to instead let a different mod with fresh eyes and a cool head look at it, hopefully this would prevent premature thread locking/deletion due to emotional responses, after all mods are human to.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourself, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous and talented? Who are you NOT to be?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Brenn

it would be nice to see our mod's in the occasional thread scuffling amongst us mortal folk smile By having a moderator who is 'moderately visible' I feel it would make the mods seem more approachable and more humane which would be vital when attracting and keeping new forum members.

Seconded.

I think an important thing (and possibly one of the perceived issues with Pele?) is that mods generally only appear when the censored-word hits the fan, which makes them seem like they're removed from the community. Having them being visible more often makes them more approachable.
A bit like George's comments about the police; if you never see police until something bad happens, then you only associate them with bad. But if you see them around the traps then you're less likely to associate them with bad. This is of course ensuring that while they're around in a 'moderately visible' capacity they are doing things to show them to be approachable.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

Mr ChutneySILVER Member
Tosser
1,712 posts

Posted:
I think mod visibility is important but it can get to the point where if board rules continue to be flouted in perceived 'close proximity' then I think the ultimate respect of the board rules will degrade.

I liken this to the attitude many seem to take against police (I know mods are not police, nor do I want them to be, but as custodians of the board and its rules there is a similarity).

In the UK we often here the calls for more police on thre streets etc; the idea being that their increased visibility will put potential cirminals off Anti-social behaviour or criminal activity, thus reassuring masses. The problem is that the police are so restricted in what they can do that there has come a game where the taunting of the police publicly has become an end in itself.

I suggest that visibility is a good thing; it does make mods more approachable and should remind people that this environment is 'moderated'; but it has rules which any member wished to participate on the boards must follow. Failure to do should result in the removal (temporary or otherwise) of access to the board.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
I like the ideas of active mods - partly as pointed out above so that they don't just appear when times are bad, but also as it shows they're still active in the community and aware of all it's subtle nuances...
There's simply no way to tell if a mod is stringently reading every thread if they never post.

It also contributes to the sense of community - less "us and them"...

Though I accept this is a little unfair as it'd be silly to "force" mods to post to show their presence.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
I can't seem to vote. It just shows me results, which would imply I have already voted, when I haven't.... hmmm

I feel that to be able to moderate fairly on a board the person doing it has to pretty much be very knowing of what goes on, day in, day out, but they have to be a person that can put aside their personal feelings when it comes to making judgements. Whether they post all the time doesn't have all that much to do with it above and beyond letting the other board members get to know them so they know that Moderator is a fair and balanced person they can trust to FAIRLY enforce the rules. They must be up to date on what's going on, who is getting on, who is not and I don't believe that can be fairly done if they just rely on someone flagging up problems to them. They need to be there in the thick of it, because sometimes the loudest complainer is the one that is stirring up the most trouble, not the person they are complaining about.

Written by

It's a little like the police - do you prefer to see the cops out pounding the beat being seen on the street to give you a sense of security, or do you prefer not to see them at all until you need them so you have a greater feeling of freedom?

Now I feel that statement is wrong (sorry George) because I don't feel that not having a police presence is necessary to feel freedom. I think if you have someone visible, showing that they are fair and even handed, you still feel free to do whatever you want within the rules, because you know they are fair and even handed. If you are not rule breaking a good moderator's presents won't bother you in the slightest.

Being a Moderator is a hard balancing act and you have to be of the right temperament to do it well, but first and foremost if you want your decisions to not cause a huge stir every time you make one you have to earn the respect of the board members. They have to have trust in your ability to make the right decision and the only way to do that is to be known by them, not be a shadow in the darkness.

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
I sort of feel that it should be up to the mods, I guess it depends on how much free time people have and if they want to contribute to discussions/threads. I guess I agree with Dentrassi.

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
*is also with Dentrassi*

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Skulduggery

Being a Moderator is a hard balancing act and you have to be of the right temperament to do it well, but first and foremost if you want your decisions to not cause a huge stir every time you make one you have to earn the respect of the board members. They have to have trust in your ability to make the right decision and the only way to do that is to be known by them, not be a shadow in the darkness.

I don't think that moderators should, in any way, made to feel that they have to participate in threads or be 'known' by the majority of the community.

There are many aspects of moderation that are far more to do with being objective, impartial and able to recognise breaches of board rules.

Some people who are good at being objective, impartial etc, may not have the inclination or ability to establish rapport in the way you seem to be suggesting, yet, nevertheless, make excellent moderators.

Pele interacts widely- that is seen as positve by some, but, as an inevitable consequence of contributing opinions, it creates the opposite effect in others.

IMO, the moderation team is strongest if it contains both types of people, posters like Pele AND those who stay out-of-it/behind-the-scenes.

IMO, if a moderator wishes to not get involved as a community 'face', they are totally entitled to do so.

I imagine that good moderators are hard to come by and, that they invest, for free, a fair bit of their time in the job- as far as I'm concerned, they can post socially, as little or as much as they want.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by : Spanner

I'm not voting as I think the poll is missing the point: moderators should be at liberty to post just as any other member is - it's the manner they do so in which should be considered.

Side that and being the reason why I voted for "other". Certainly censoring Mods is not what this is aimed at. Thus said: Which "manner" are you referring to?

Written by : OWD

IMO, the moderation team is strongest if it contains both types of people, posters like Pele AND those who stay out-of-it/behind-the-scenes.

I thought of this to be present case already... wink

Written by : OWD

Pele interacts widely- that is seen as positve by some, but, as an inevitable consequence of contributing opinions, it creates the opposite effect in others.

Second that. I've noticed that there is some attitude (forming) against Pele in her function as a Mod from this nebulous party you call "others".

"Being talking to a Mod" has never kept me from posting my personal opinion and I'd like to call everybody to do the same. It is only when a Mod calls for "order in the board"/is acting in her/his function that we need to ask ourselves whether we're still posting within the rules and guidelines.

It is no offence to disagree with a mod and it is no offence to dislike members of this board. But "bullying" should be kept in Highschool.

Apart from the fact that HOP has a pretty good neighbourhood-watch anyways, I feel compelled to call on "larger-than-lifes" to question their own integrity, true motifs and review part of their attitude. It is not that I question your expertise, yet great powers usually come with great responsibility - unfortunately they do never come with maturity.... "Awareness" helps to get there.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I voted other because I don't think being a mod requires any amount of posting. If they chose to, I think that it helps with the sense of community. We get to know them as people and for some poster it makes them friendlier to authority

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I don't think it makes sense to vote on how much mod presence you want.

What would be more useful is more 'visible' mods.

More feedback on what mods do especially on 'big' things.

Seperate accounts for the moderator privledges so that personal and moderator posts / functions would be entirely seperate.

Damn, what the hell is up with firefox spellchecker?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
((My spellchecker isnt working either - you on 2.0.0.14?))

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :mcp

I don't think it makes sense to vote on how much mod presence you want.

Sure it does. They aren't under any obligation to do what we vote, but they seem to be interested in what we think and I think that's a sign that our mods do care.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
Post as much as you like I'd say. I've been on unruly forums where the mods only post if they're locking a thread/ removing a post, but it's always preferable to have more people posting. I don't really see mods as any different. Just don't break any rules.

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
I'm not sure the problem is with having more visbile 'police' (good analogy George)

I think, and reading between the lines of MCPs post, it would appear that people are actually after a seat in the courtroom, or at least to be able to read the proceedings of the 'trial' and see for themselves the process that's been undertaken...

so, I'm not sure the debate is about more visible mods, or more (apparently) transparent reporting of the outcomes of the judicial process...

shrug

I'm often wrong though ... smile

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
just to clarify - this question wasn't trying to address all the issues that people have raised - it was jsut to ask about the visibility of the mods.

And to try and summarise what I see so far, the majority of people want to see/know a bit about their mods - that they're actively strolling around being familiar/known and picking up the vibe/pulse of the place so they can head any brewing trouble off at the pass and/or respond appropriately if something does occur. To this end a little bit of posting is considered necessary but not mandatory.

I think the above reflects what I read - even those voting "Other" have kind of inferred/said this.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong and keep any more/additional comments coming.

Oh, and by the way - the 'police' analogy is Malcolm's not mine - he's a clever wee bunny sometimes that man! biggrin

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Ade

I'm not sure the problem is with having more visbile 'police' (good analogy George)

I think, and reading between the lines of MCPs post, it would appear that people are actually after a seat in the courtroom, or at least to be able to read the proceedings of the 'trial' and see for themselves the process that's been undertaken...

so, I'm not sure the debate is about more visible mods, or more (apparently) transparent reporting of the outcomes of the judicial process...

shrug

I'm often wrong though ... smile

I'll second that!.. I couldn't have put it better myself.

*No vote from me for personal reasons.

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Personally, I would prefer to see the mods around slightly more, not in an, in-your-face way, but enough to know that they are part of the community.

Reading a lot of the threads, it is evident that some members of the community feel that we need new mods because all of the others except Pele and George have disappeared. Perhaps instead of new mods, our existing mods could post. It doesn't have to be a lot, just enough to know that they are still there.

At the moment, whenever we hear the phrase 'modding team', my immediate reaction is what team? Certainly, when I first joined, the mods were far more active than they are now, and it didn't feel like we were being policed, it just felt that they were members of the community.

Additionally, if other mods became more visable, then perhaps it would take some pressure off the Pele-flaming, who is effectively the only visable mod at the moment. On the board (not talking about whatever goes on in pm) I feel that all the talk about Pele being flamed is less than helpful to the situation, as it puts the idea in other peoples head! More awarness of the other mods, and the other mods visably supporting her and reiterating opinions would help. (but not in an excessive, all mods post in one thread way!). And there are times where there needs to be visable mod-presence.

Obviously, the mods have their own lives, and may not have time to post etc. (As most of us know, we've all had times where we haven't been here for months and then come back again), but when it looks like all the mods have disappeared at the same time, it makes the community feel less active, and doesn't help with the image that a lot of the longer standing members have left. The mods/admins after all, are the most noticable when they post as they have the green/red names.

I understand that the concern is that it would feel like we were being policed, however, I think if mods posted informally as posters, (in a way thats not to carry out a modding task) I think it would make the mods more human, and less like the secret police that make things magically disappear!

If the current mods don't want/arn't able to post, then I feel it may be time to look for someone who could be more active and has enough time to commit themselves to the board. It doesn't even have to be an existing member of the board. George wasn't know when he joined the board, but that didn't cause a problem.

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
I've been staying out of this discussion because its not been aimed at the mods - but now I think I should perhaps enter it because well - I think in all fairness I should get a chance to respond to some of the comments being made.

I guess I'm one of the 'dissappeared' non-Pele mods. shrug

I've posted nearly every day for 7 years. However, over time, I've virtually stopped entering social chat and I rarely post in social discussion. Mostly because I think the topics are cyclical and the opinions are mostly unchangable (ie if you don't like pointless games, and you cant be bothered arguing with people who have fingers in their ears, social chat and discussion arent the place for you) However I still post regularly (theres more to this board that intro/chat/'discussion').

I can see that perhaps in social chat / intro there is a need for more mod presence - but please don't question my commitment just cuz I haven't joined the 'last person to post on this thread wins' thread.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
As I've mentioned elsewhere, my POV is that whether or not mods post is irrelevant.

I'd hate it if mods felt obliged or under pressure to post just to maintain a 'presence' to satisfy those who seem to feel that having a presence makes for a better moderator.

For me, good moderation is about being objective, impartial, diplomatic and knowing when to take strong action- also about liasing with other mods if there's any doubts about objectivity. None of that has anything to do with the amount of social posting or 'presence' the mod has.

Over and above that, the level of social posting should, IMO, be entirely and only the decision/inclination of the individual mod.

The sheer fact that, has many have pointed out, Pele, the most visible mod, gets more critisism than the other mods, should indicate that the level of social board interaction is not particularly relevant? Or that posting more gains the 'trust' of the community.

And that's not to say that mods shouldn't post- as i mentioned before, the ideal is probably a mixture of mods, some being very involved, some not so involved.

But ultimately, it's purely down to their personal choice.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
 Written by :onewheeldave

For me, good moderation is about being objective, impartial, diplomatic and knowing when to take strong action- also about liasing with other mods if there's any doubts about objectivity.

I feel this way too.

Maybe we should implement a "dual key" type policy for thread locking/deleting i.e no one mod has the sole authority to lock a thread; it must be seconded by another mod prior to being actioned. That way personal bias and personality conflicts will have even less an impact on our already very diplomatic and fair M.O.

Would such a thing increase member confidence - knowing that your thread/post has not been "disappeared" without due consideration from at least two of the team?

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

CharlesBRONZE Member
Corporate Circus Arts Entertainer
3,989 posts

Posted:
Boo!

HoP Posting Guidelines
* Is it the Truth?
* Is it Fair to all concerned?
* Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
* Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Page: