Forums > Social Discussion > HoP moderation - opinions please

Login/Join to Participate
Page:
georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
This is not a place to bitch about or praise the current moderators! What we would like to know is your thoughts on the amount of moderation and how visible you prefer your mods to be.

Currently, we think the Community forum is ticking along fairly nicely with no great visible presence (i.e. posting) by the majority of us Mods and Admin types. However, when something happens that requires Mod/Admin presence we get alerted and it gets actioned as we are all 'lurking' in the background. But some recent comments suggest perhaps that this style doesn't suit everyone. Some people would prefer to see the Mods/Admins visibly present by posting more frequently. And then others perhaps feel that they don't want to see this as it looks like 'Big Brother is Watching' perhaps.

It's a little like the police - do you prefer to see the cops out pounding the beat being seen on the street to give you a sense of security, or do you prefer not to see them at all until you need them so you have a greater feeling of freedom?

Now's you chance to have a say on this important subject. Feel free to vote and add any comments you feel are relevant beyond the vote but please DO NOT use this thread to single out any particular Mods/Admins for specific comment. If you do wish to comment about an individual Mod/Admin, as with any complaints or praise about/for individuals they should be directed to the management in private - so e-mail or PM Malcolm in this case.

Thanks
George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Mods shouldn't be scary Charles wink

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :onewheeldave

As I've mentioned elsewhere, my POV is that whether or not For me, good moderation is about being objective, impartial, diplomatic and knowing when to take strong action- also about liasing with other mods if there's any doubts about objectivity.

That is, I believe, how all the mods are.
Impartial and objective means to make difficult choices regarding those we like as well as those we don't. And we have, all of us, set aside personal feelings for people to act in what we see as the best interest of HoP, including recently.

I know I have even stepped away from situations and asked another mod to handle it because I wanted to make sure my personal feelings did not get involved.

As much as people want to believe I have a vendetta for them, I don't. None of us do. I have locked threads of people I adore as much as those I am impartial to. Hell, I have even moderated my family on here. I can seperate business from personal in that scope, and I *know* the other mods are the same.

Diplomatic means not just representing the majority but also protecting those in the minority. Taking strong action also means standing by those actions, even when being doubted and criticized.

We do that too.

There are also 7 of us all together, so that when a vote is needed, we are also not in worries of a tie...just so you know.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I don't know if a dual key is a good idea, just from experience. I'm sure you guys talk about it. But if there is a thread that could get out of hand or is really really bad, what if there is only one mod around?

Can you unlock a thread? That way if after discussion, you can unlock if it was determined that it did not need to be locked after all. And on the rare occassion there is an emergency need for a lock, a mod doesn't have to worry about tracking down another one.

My 2 cents

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
 Written by : Pele

As much as people want to believe I have a vendetta for them, I don't. None of us do. I have locked threads of people I adore as much as those I am impartial to. Hell, I have even moderated my family on here. I can seperate business from personal in that scope, and I *know* the other mods are the same.

This is exactly how I felt so far and which is why I never felt I had to question your integrity.

A dual key could calm those who don't have a similar level of trust.

However - I reckon this thread made clear that all mods are still around...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I think Flashfire has got the right idea in the "banned from ukhippy" thread. Just an acknowledgement that she was there and watching. Very good and re-assuring.

Gayle.....!

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :faithinfire

I don't know if a dual key is a good idea, just from experience. I'm sure you guys talk about it. But if there is a thread that could get out of hand or is really really bad, what if there is only one mod around?

Can you unlock a thread? That way if after discussion, you can unlock if it was determined that it did not need to be locked after all. And on the rare occassion there is an emergency need for a lock, a mod doesn't have to worry about tracking down another one.

Yes, threads can be unlocked.
And those moved so that we can discuss them can be moved back if they are deemed appropriate.

My mistake, and I admit it and take responsibility for it, is I should have left a marker when I moved the one thread for review explaining why.
I think this all might have been avoided, but I am not necessarily sorry as some interesting thoughts and points have been made.

Lesson learned. spank

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :FireTom

This is exactly how I felt so far and which is why I never felt I had to question your integrity.

Well, that and cause lords know you and I have gone head to head without too much damage to you (I hope) wink

Pele

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
so then my vote is no dual key

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
I also don't think a duel key is necessary, especially, as its probably only more regular members who would know that such a system existed anyway, and they are likely to know that they can trust the mods anyway!

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
post deleted because it was in the wrong topic...
EDITED_BY: fanged_angel (1209322018)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Hang on. I just was reading the thread called something like 'response to bluecat's thread that seems unpostable'; cleaned my teeth, thought of something I wanted to say on it cos it was getting pretty flamey in there; with flames coming from an unusual source...came back and now I can't find it.

It's been pulled?!?!??! confused2

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
newgabe...it was just moved into the retired members lounge.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Thanks for letting us know that Stout.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Visibility of mods.

That is the topic on this thread so I shall make a comment. And, as it seems to be related in previous posts, about flaming of mods. I'm more concerned about flaming BY mods.

I understand the concept and role of mods as being mature members of a community whose job is to ensure fair and clean behaviour between members, maintain general thread appropriateness and set a standard of communication. The qualities I most wish to see, whether they post daily or rarely, is to BE moderate. And to understand the nature of the boundaries that come with the capacity to exercise power, in that they are NOT an ordinary member of the community. For example, a 'moderate' mod would not use PMs to abuse people who disagree with their views on a thread, while claiming to be an 'ordinary member'. Behaving very badly while apparently not even knowing how confused, and confusing, they are.

If a moderator is not in that class; then they lose my respect. I know the PM thing happened to a friend of mine on this site- albeit a few years ago now. I don't know if that particularly unpleasant tactic has happened to anyone else lately, though I did fairly recently advise admin how I felt about some other 'immoderate' things I saw on the public threads.

The flame in the newly pulled (or relocated to private quarters) post was by a mod who I had not seen behave like that before though, and that surprised me. That was what I was going to comment on. To offer some friendly calms to a mod who seemed to have been pushed/pulled over the boundaries. No chance of that now cos I am not able to access the thread anymore.

Now about the 'retired' members lounge. Damned silly name for it if that's where active threads go, presumably to be discussed by active members. Private maybe. But this is getting offtopic so I shall go somewhere else to find out what it takes to be 'senior' nowadays. Though I am not quite yet ready to retire.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I've voted 'other'.

A mods posts should always be considered as being personal opinion and not an exercise of authority in all circumstances, the sole exceptions being when they're explicitly warning someone mod action will have to be taken, or a response after action has been taken.

When it comes to taking such action they should leave their ego at the door. Moderating a attack against them specifically, as an extreme example, should be assessed as and dealt with exactly as an attack against any 'normal' user.

Written by =onewheeldave

There are many aspects of moderation that are far more to do with being objective, impartial and able to recognise breaches of board rules.

^this, and as an extension, mods should be healthy cross section of people, otherwise it's too easy to end up with a bunch of yes men.

Sorry MCP but I think having a mod account and a non mod account for one user, a suggestion that's come up on many sites before, is a terrible system, and encourages "stealth modding". If the person at the keyboard is a mod, the users have a right to know they're interacting with a mod. It is also healthy for the system to know that they are present. And having to log out and in again to clear spam or worse, an attack, is unnecessary time consuming hassle.

Mods should not be compelled in any way to post any more than any normal user, ie, post only when you feel you have something you actually want to post about.

Them being available on the board to do the job at hand is what matters, if they're not responding to reports, have no entries in the mod logs, or are off-line for weeks/months without a heads up then de-modding them should be considered, if only for security, they can always be re-modded when they return if appropriate.

If it's felt that too much is being missed, or there isn't enough presence, then consider assessing some more users who spend a lot of time online for suitability. They shouldn't have the ability to cause any real damage anyway , this goes again the healthy cross section comment above, and if they turn out to be not suitable for any reason at any time they just go back to being regular user.

A 'who's online' list that only displays mod accounts should perhaps be a consideration. And reduces the 'post lots to show presence' problem.

This may increase PM's to Mods but that's part of what they're there for, many people don't fully realise the use of the report button, or even spot it.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
In the 4 years I've been on this forum, I've never had any reason to question the integrity of the mods so rather than being a no news is good news kind of guy, I'm going to hand them all gold stars for a job well done.

The NYC issue that sparked all these threads is a unique situation in that those of us who use this forum as a forum and don't really have ( or make ) the opportunity to form personal relationships with other posters and aren't in the "inner circle" read...didn't know anything about NYC's ban until it came up a few weeks ago, don't have any information about what actually led to the ban.

It's been posted here, that NYC's "crimes" happened in PM and there's no way I'm going to fault the mods for not wanting to reveal the content of those PM(s).

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I do wonder if behavior in PM's (other than spamming, of course) should be regulated.

After all, you can always just block someone.

Just a thought...

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Yeah you can, but it's a bit like changing your phone if an ex turns stalker. If someone's offensive, threatening, abusive or just likes being mean (not directed at anyone in particular here) it shouldn't be the victim who's got to change their behaviour.

Also as has been said, if such behaviour only occurs once and towards one person, it won't lead to a ban straight away. I've reported one person so far. George asked me to be nice (i.e. non-provocative) and report it again the next time something happened. It did. The person in question got a warning and left me alone (at least on here) after that, so I can attest to it working in that case.

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
As someone who has been on the receiving end of unwelcome PMs, just blocking someone wouldn't always help as receiving these messages can result in someone feeling like they're no longer a welcome member of the community and may wonder who else feels the same aggression towards them. In my situation, I felt that the mods were able to make me feel like I was still welcome on HoP and had their support, whereas until I discussed the problem with them I stopped posting entirely because I thought I wasn't wanted on the boards.

A lot of damage can be done via PM. It's just like bullying via email (something that's been in the media here lately)

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
I figure PMs should be "regulated"

I am not a lawyer, but from what I've seen on other forums there's concern over liability issues. Personal insults are one thing, but issuing threats is a whole 'nother ballgame.

Just suppose a member started sending out death threats, or talking about committing some horrific crime. I'm sure the admin team would want to be completely on top of issues like that lest they be held somewhat responsible if "something" did indeed happen.

I'm not expecting the mods to be reading through my PMs but if somebody complained about the content of a Pm I sent them, the last thing I'd be complaining about is my "right to privacy" so i make it a habit of never saying anything in a PM that I wouldn't post openly.

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
Private Messages absolutely should be private. mods should have no power to peruse them whatsoever.

Pasting one received verbatim elsewhere by a user should be prohibited by the rules unless both parties consent to them being published.

Edit:(posting one you sent yourself without the other users post quoted in is up to the original author of course)

The sole exception being that either user can forward them to a mod/admin if there is troubling content, to ask for assistance.

Admins can always root them out if necessary for proof. That should be accepted by all, it's inevitable if they're not encrypted, they can access them via the database directly if there's no forum system for it anyway, and they're the ones at risk legally as they host the server.

You just hope that the admins on any site you use act ethically.
EDITED_BY: Yakumo (1210365718)

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
PM's are not accessible to Mods, but as a site Admin I can log in to someone's account and see whatever they see. This is only ever used to assist that person when they have requested it (e.g. strange things happening preventing login [not just simple password trouble]), or to check out a person's actions in the event of a complaint. Example being a few months ago someone complained they had been written a PM that seemed to be a scam. I logged in as the sender, noted they had only just created the account, received no PM's, made no posts, but sent 40 or 50 something identical dodgy scam-like PM's. I banned the user, and sent them an e-mail advising what had happened and why and invited them to reply if they had a reasonable explanation as to why I had assumed the wrong thing. (A user can always be unbanned and protecting the community comes first). And then I advised the Mods the user had been banned for sending Scam PM's. About the only thing I didn't do was to raise a thread about it to let everyone know (but that happened anyway from the ones who had received the PM).

These are about the only times someone's account is accessed or PM's looked at. But I work on the same principle as Stout said above - if there's a complaint, we have the right to check.

I hope this helps answer the questions/concerns about PM's.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Yakumo

Private Messages absolutely should be private. mods should have no power to peruse them whatsoever.

Then how do you catch spammers? As George already pointed out.

Look, the mods have used their power around me for good. A long time ago there was a poster on this site who made a number of very homophobic comments directed at me (believe it or not, I was actually still in the closet when I joined this site. You can find the "Lightning comes out" thread if you search for it). After repeated attacks, he was banned.

You don't get banned unless you repeatedly harass/threaten someone.

Having been protected by a banning (and I got a stern warning of my own in the process, from Malcolm himself), I fully appreciate this power. And I would ask people to remember that there is more to this story than meets the eye.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Doc, that's an awful thing to happen, I'm sorry to hear that hug

Written by :Yakumo

The sole exception being that either user can forward them to a mod/admin if there is troubling content, to ask for assistance.

Yakumo never said that PMs should be totally private full stop.

I agree, I think PMs should be 'PRIVATE messages' unless someone crosses that line and becomes bullying or unkind, in which case the Admins and Mods have got our backs and can help smile

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Doc Lightning

Look, the mods have used their power around me for good.

I did get an.. interesting mental image of all the mods in superhero outfits from that.. biggrin

I've personally had no issues with any moderation here.. and I don't think anyone should be expecting superhuman mods- just funky lycra costumes- and it really does follow that stuff's going to happen that not everyone agrees with. I don't think you'd get every single person on this board to agree to anything with the possible exception of 'poi can be fun'..

Yeah, you could add extra checks into everything mods do, but that would make everything slower and considerably more annoying for the people who'd have to do it (waiting for second opinions in different timezones etc..) and how many people really do have the time, the dedication, and the right temperament to join the mods and counter the extra work?

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

ThelemicPotterSILVER Member
29 posts

Posted:
I have to say, this is one of the most poorly moderated professional forums I've ever seen, especially considering the danger of the topic at hand. The sheer number of useless one liners, off topic posting, "Me too!" posts, posts consisting of nothing but smileys, threads three pages long that do not in fact even have an answer to the original post.

Do the moderators here do anything? I've never seen one redirect a conversation, or remove useless posts. Right now I'm looking for threads on steel wool poi and out of 10 threads discussing them, for a total of over 20 pages, I've found ONE post with a picture of their construction. One thread discusses some fuel for fire breathing that has been off the market for a decade for an entire two pages.

This forum NEEDS to be cleaned up. The shear number of mis-placed posts, in this sub forum alone is utter unmanageable. When people post to the wrong forum, or start a new thread on a topic that has been covered a million times, those threads need to be moved and consolidated. Dangerous advice needs to be removed. Posts like "thanks" or "I like poi" need to be removed. One should be able to use the search engine to find a thread with answers in it, not page after page of idle chatter.

There is good stuff here, but it is impossible to find in any sort of reasonable manner.

MynciBRONZE Member
Macaque of all trades
8,738 posts

Posted:
I'm pretty happy with the mods, It's nice to see them join in once in a while in something but it's not necessary. I know if I see spam or something dodgy I can click the "notify" button and it will be dealt with promptly.

So Malcolm any prizes for the 1,000,000th Post landmark?

Or maybe a little celbratory announcement grin

A couple of balls short of a full cascade... or maybe a few cards short of a deck... we'll see how this all fans out.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
offtopic wink

not too happy about moderation either. in an incident some time back i tried to notify mods about insultive and aggressive behavior to no avail. in the end i fell for the troll - my bad.

but i got muffled and pretty much told that my (political) views were no longer welcome on HoP - which kept me from posting altogether.

HoP is a dinosaur, there is a thread on pretty much anything already. Expecting the members to mod themselves is like putting a sign on a lonely cookie jar "god sees everything".

the single line/ three word posts are not the worst, the "i don't care whether i got to say anything useful" the "i don't care to read even the ip" and finally the "don't care if what you said is right - the fact that YOU said it makes it wrong" attitude is what degrades threads and the overall quality of this board.

I'd recommend "IBAN" and a new start... wink

907088th post this was wink
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1314180252)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: MalcolmWe are completing a new site which will I hope have a better search engine and the ability to push better topics to the top of search results. And even show more recent topics first.

Sounds a teeny bit like reddit....

ThelemicPotter: I do not speak in any official capacity, but this is my take on your post.

It also depends on where in the fora you are talking about. Social chat is just that: chat, and much of it will be inane.
The tech section is usually more on topic. That said, some more movement of threads in the wrong places (greetings that really should be in the meet others section, help requests that are actually for the various technical fora, I am sure you have the list better than I do) could be helpful at times.

As for many of your other complaints, such as threads not being or remaining on topic, I have not noticed it as being as bad as you seem to think.

While your points are valid, and I am not saying that they are not, I do think that changing the way HoP is moderated would change the way people use it. I know that I would not like things to be as draconian as you make "When people post to the wrong forum, or start a new thread on a topic that has been covered a million times, those threads need to be moved and consolidated. Dangerous advice needs to be removed. Posts like "thanks" or "I like poi" need to be removed." *sound* like you want it to be.

Bear in mind also that the archives go right back to the beginning. The sheer volume of threads is overwhelming, so going through everything, looking for stuff that might be helpful is the same, hence the way things keep coming up. This is also partly to blame for why things have not been consolidated (I think. I have not been around long enough to tell.) Also, I think fora have been added over time, so if you go far back enough, you will find technical threads in the chat forum. The technical ones were made later and had stuff moved there, but doubtless some things will have been missed.

(Slight aside: Do you think the problem is not enough (active) moderators, or that the policy governing them is not good enough?)
EDITED_BY: aston (1314304816)

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Page: