MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Hey, I was lucky enough to catch my first burning session on camera (my uncle decided to take a little bit of video)... The video quality isn't that great; I tried to fix it with some filters but I think all I did was slow down the framerate at parts. Anyway, nothing techy or flashy, just getting the feel of the fire. The video started about a minute and a half or so into the second burn - oh, and that little dealy at about 0:03 is where I was going to do a between the legs move and then decided, "Nah, I'm not putting these next to my crotch tonight!" Oh, and the embers are from the fringe from the wicks; I just used denim cuttings from a pair of jeans so little bits came off, but nothing deadly. Anyway, there's *definitely* a difference between fire and socks! biggrin My next session will be better (although I doubt I would have done the butterfly if I hadn't known there was a video camera watching cool)

So, anyway, lemme know what you think, critiques are very much welcome! I should start setting my camera up regularly for practice 'cause I like the idea of video feedback. biggrin

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
Nice, easy spinning. Really readable at all nothing complicated,
thats all right. But two things:

-Butterfly (be carefull when you speed this move up and I think
position of your hands could be better..safer..)

-De Plane (Clear your plane, clean your turning, flat.)

keep on spinning,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
Richee, thanks for the input! If you don't mind my asking, what makes my hand position unsafe during the butterfly? The only time I ever have any problems with that move is when I try to add a move I've never done before; it *feels* pretty solid when I'm doing it. I'm always looking for ways to improve my form so if there's something I'm not seeing please tell me!

And yeah, I'm still working on keeping my planes nice and clean - I figured for this round I'd worry more about the fact that the poi were now burning and get a little more used to that. It's not so much a fear thing, as it is an unusual thing.

Thanks again! Off to go practice practice practice!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
haha, welcome to the wonderful world of deciphering richee. We're all convinced that richee is surely a genious, its just that his translator is an underpaid parrot.

But yeah, you need to work on the flowers, you may have the arm positions pretty well worked out, for some of the flowers you were just fine, but the timing on the poi is off and some of your flower arm movement isn't synced. Watch the vid, when you are doing same direction flowers you aren't doing split time. Sometimes you are doing sametime, sometimes quartertime. I don't think you really realize it when you are spinning. For flowers you don't want to think about "beats" the same way you might with other moves. Instead count only the times the poi pass your shoulders, and the poi should both pass your shoulders at the same time.

Another thing I noticed, and i'm sure this is just a symptom of it being a first burn, is the "Oh god stay away from me" pose that I see people have a lot. Your first 15 seconds or so that's all you did, poi at arms length, legs bent slightly, butt way out behind you and looking like the poi was a snake that you thought was gonna bite you. But like i said, its your first burn so its expected. Do work on this though, the poi and you should both move together, you shouldn't have to dodge the poi or lockout your arms to get the poi where you want them. That comes with time of course but I always stress to people to get comfortable with where the poi are going and what you want them to do. That helps remove the akwardness and lets you find your flow.

All in all a good first burn.

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

MuckySILVER Member
227 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Imbalance

haha, welcome to the wonderful world of deciphering richee. We're all convinced that richee is surely a genious, its just that his translator is an underpaid parrot.

Hahaha, yeah I've caught a few of his other posts during my brief foray into the Advanced poi forum, I just assume that all the numbers and diagrams mean he knows way more than I do! smile

But yeah, you need to work on the flowers, you may have the arm positions pretty well worked out, for some of the flowers you were just fine, but the timing on the poi is off and some of your flower arm movement isn't synced. Watch the vid, when you are doing same direction flowers you aren't doing split time. Sometimes you are doing sametime, sometimes quartertime. I don't think you really realize it when you are spinning. For flowers you don't want to think about "beats" the same way you might with other moves. Instead count only the times the poi pass your shoulders, and the poi should both pass your shoulders at the same time.

Yeah I do realize that I do that when I go into flower mode.... To be honest, I haven't really given any honest work to flowers yet - I'm starting to, but at the time I was more "spinning with the arms far apart" than "flowers". The shoulder advice is good, though, so now I just have to implement it.

Another thing I noticed, and i'm sure this is just a symptom of it being a first burn, is the "Oh god stay away from me" pose that I see people have a lot. Your first 15 seconds or so that's all you did, poi at arms length, legs bent slightly, butt way out behind you and looking like the poi was a snake that you thought was gonna bite you. But like i said, its your first burn so its expected. Do work on this though, the poi and you should both move together, you shouldn't have to dodge the poi or lockout your arms to get the poi where you want them. That comes with time of course but I always stress to people to get comfortable with where the poi are going and what you want them to do. That helps remove the akwardness and lets you find your flow.

All in all a good first burn.

Yep, there should be a name for that, First Burn Syndrome or something haha. I'm generally pretty comfortable with fire, too, but I think the biggest thing was the added dimension of the poi being on fire, and not being able to see my surroundings. I mean, I *knew* it was clear, and my safety would have told me if I were wandering out of the area, but I'm used to having that peripheral vision that's obliterated by the flames. That, and the fire is a lot more dynamic than, say, a campfire. Normally I spin quite close to my body.

Thanks for the tips, Imbalance! For my next burn I'll be doing the inverted 9-beat BTB atomic buzzerfly weave. ubbloco

Bouncing Baby Pipe!