Page:
PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I'm literally about to collapse from lack of sleep so will make this brief.

Malcolm, I struggle to understand why you felt the need to justify and explain your commitment to HoP.

I can't think of anyone who would think you have ever done a bad job or doubt your commitment to this place, heck you created us wink.

Thats why you have mod's, I assume to help relieve the stress and help share the work load of policing the forums. I personally think the monitoring of the forums shoudln''t be your job. HoP is so much more than just this forum and I think people often loose sight of that and think that if you aren't present in the forums you must be off sunning yourself. I and I'm sure a lot of people know this is not the case and the majority of work you do goes unnoticed simply because people only seem to notice when you 'step in' in a forum dispute.

But as I said thats why you have moderators becuase quite frankly (my opinion) there are a lot more important things for you to be doing (like guarding the HoP on/off swtich which I imagine to be under a glass case wink ) And I think what some people are saying is why isn't there more of a moderator presence other than mainly just Pele?

Put your feet up, your doing an ace job smile

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
ditto

Yeah! What he said!

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I think it's sad that Malc feels he need to justify himself.

For a start, he is an administrator, not a moderator and therefore by definition is here to administrate, not moderate. On top of that, he is the reason why we are all here.

Although this now explains the lawn mowing wink

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I think that people are assuming when we moderate you need to see us, and that is driving Malcolm to do this.

The point of moderators is to keep things peaceful. In doing so we tend to do it silently behind the scenes. Some, like Charles and Josh, do that always. Some, like George or I, not so very wink

We choose our involvement.
BUT just because we are not on the forum chatting away in social or posting in tech does not mean we are not here, doing our jobs, listening, watching, reading, talking behind the scenes to one another.

Just because I am "the face of the mods" (interesting phrase I've heard alot today) does not mean that we have not all been involved in this, voiced opinions on it.

Very often on forums, and HoP is no exception, the seamless peacable kingdom you are enjoying is the result of a group of people you would never see.

Think of it like going to a rave/party. You go, you have a great time, dance like mad and have a wonderful time.
What you are not seeing is the planning that went into it, the set up crew who spent hours and hours, the bouncers, the sound crew, the clean-up crew...all the people it takes to make it that smoothe awesome place for everyone to come together in, you never see. It doesn't mean they didn't do their job, in fact if they did thier job well, you only really see them if something major happens.
That is how I see HoP.

And I completely agree with Rougie that Mal didn't need to divulge his life history, and I feel so sad that he felt the need to.
In fact, that breaks my heart.

Mal, you've done an awesome job and have lots to be proud of. I'm sorry you feel the need to have done this. Take care of yourself first, HoP *will* be here love. hug
Be well. ubblove kiss

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
I love you Malcolm.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Don't forget, even with your busy schedule you still find time to put up with, welcome and accommodate travelling HOPpers (not to mention people who could be complete strangers, something most sane people would be wary of with a family to consider), who would otherwise be perfectly okay with forking out money for a hostel and food as well as a nice tour of ChCh!

You didn't have to but you did. You even help me out when I lost my credit card and when I made an impromptu return to Christchurch!

hug

The travels I am taking wouldn't've even occurred they have without this website!

Don't get me wrong, if you're being an arse we'll tell you! But you haven't, so we won't tell you! tongue

Cheers for everything, Hope you got the Parcel I sent you!

hug hug hug hug

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Dearest Malcolm,

I have never had the good fortune to meet you in person and have not really ever spoken to you on the forums all that directly, but you, as the creator of HoP and these boards have utterly changed my life.

Without you and the creation of HoP I probably never would have spun poi. I probably would never have met all the hundreds of gorgeous people I have from these boards and I am all but certain I would not have met the love of my life.

For all those things I would like to thank you from the bottom of my heart! (No Jonny UCoF! Not the "Heart of my bottom ubblol )

Knowing how hard it is to start up any business, let alone one that involves going to the bank manager and explaining you want him/her to lend you money to set up a company that encourages people to play with fire, I have great admiration for you and what you have achieved. To know you did that amidst so many problems only makes me admire you more for your strength and determination.

I don't hang out here so much on the boards any more, I kind of decided to take a break when all the bickering was going on about the new forum, so I'm not sure what has gone on that made you feel you had to post this thread, but I'd like to tell you that I never thought of you as kicking back and laying in the sun. I always have a mental image of you putting some kind of speed grow fertilizer on your lawn with one hand (just so there is enough there for visiting HoPpers to mow) and paper work with the other hand. It always struck me that you were a very busy person. Not the kind of man to lay sunbathing.

So basically what I'm saying here is, You Rock!

Thank you!
Lynne

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rouge Dragon

I think it's sad that Malc feels he need to justify himself. Although this now explains the lawn mowing wink

My thoughts exactly!

Gayle.....!

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, I doubt that I'll be able to accurately express what this site means to me, what it's introduced into my life in one form or another.

But thank you - thanks for all the work that you've put into it to make it a part of so many people's lives.
I know it goes unmentioned most of the time, but it's certainly not unappreciated.

hug

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I've always felt your presence here, Malcolm and appreciated your generosity and hard work. And I totally agree with what Bov and Birgit have said about the wonderful connections you have helped us all make in our real lives: having a wonderful worldwide community. There are so many festivals and gatherings now, as well as friendships, through what you have done. I'm so sorry to hear you've been through so much pain. I'll come mow your lawn anytime. And you can come sun on my deck. hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
although i'm fairly new to this HOP world and gradually getting to know you folks, i was still very aware of your presence Malcom, you keep a fantastic world alive here and god knows you must be proud but the fact you keep your life going in turn with all that is something else all together smile

i have nothing but the deepest respect for you and who knows? maybe one day ill pop out there and cut that grass for you smile

Mark

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Wow - that is the saddest story I have read in a long time frown

You have done so much for the Community of Fire-Spinners - maybe more than anyone else on the planet so far - and most of it went unnoticed... I feel sad that I never displayed more interest in the man behind the scenes - or I would have known...

I side Rouge that it's sad that you "have to" justify yourself - at the same time it has been time to disclose your (private and professional) troubles to the general audience to make us understand what you're going through.

This is not about "pity" - it's about to come out of your 'cave' and receive the blessing and prayers that you deserve as a human being and as the initiator and provider of this community.

The power of projection can work many ways - maybe it can also provide relief for your pains. There sometimes is more between heaven and earth than standard medicine allows us to hope for.

If you need help for your lawn, I'll take turns with newgabe and for the rest I will have a talk with a few friends who are known to have "powers"...

hug you already are a living legend Malcolm hug

Thanks for all and that you are here now.
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1208858279)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
"many hands make light work"

smile

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, hug Thank you for all the brilliant work you do on hop, and continue to do.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
Malcolm, I will never forget my experience in ChCh with Bird in 06. I am so grateful that you let us stay with you for the couple of days and the fact that you took time away from your busy schedule to take us those unforgettable places shows what a wonderful, accommodating person you (and Cherry) are!

Like Rouge and Tom, it concerns me that you feel the need to justify and to maybe disclose some things that you may not thought you would ever have to.

I can't imagine how tough it has been and still is for you, and even to the mods as well, I couldn't imagine ever being able to do such a job.

Even though there has been, and may always still will be some scrutiny and criticism towards Malcolm and the Mods, don't lose sight of the people who appreciate you all for doing exactly what you do hug

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Gabe, I've said something? Not yet, but I'm about to.

Malcolm, from one diabetic with annoying inflammatory pains who's trying to work on about 3 different jobs at the moment to one who's running a great shop and who's responsible for starting up this community. Don't let this get you down.

HoP has (much as some people like to criticise me for that) provided me with many friends, fun, and good vibes, as well as the occasional episode of drama. It's natural that whenever emotions run high and principles of administration/moderation are discussed, your name will come up. Please rest assured that most of us respect your role in building and maintaining this. I've seen you in a few threads recently, actually more so than when I first joined...

Anyway, I know how it can get you down to do your job day to day with all the worries of chronical illness, family and what not on top of those at work. And I also know how an argument relating to that work, even if not meant to upset you, can cause the barrell to overflow.

I'd ask you to look after yourself more and get some more rest, but I'm crap at doing that for myself so I should probably just shut up. Though I'll be in NZ around this time next year, and I'll happily mow your lawn if you let me wink

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I feel the appearance of an 'Official who wants to mow Malcolms Lawn' is coming ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug hug to you all.
May you have all the icecream you need ubblove

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
ew! ew! God and icecream images not cool! not cool!!!!

Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rouge Dragon

ew! ew! God and icecream images not cool! not cool!!!!

ubblol

Does that mean I shouldn't bring up how Malcolm started HoP in his bedroom, and all the little lights from computers and led's and such had Cherry saying it looked like a rocket ship?

Soooooo...that would mean he was having ice cream in the rocket ship of luuuuuuuv wink

Now *there's* an image!

Pele

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Can I just add to the thanks- HoP has definitely changed my life for the better- I've met more wonderful people than I can think of through here, and done so much great stuff..
So.. yes.. thankyou smile

I'm not really sure what's been going on (and I do spend a slightly embarrasing amount of time on here)
I can maybe hazard a guess..

I've always thought of HoP as one big family- and like any good family, it winds up with feuds, ungrateful teenagers (of all ages) odd relatives.. and.. of course.. the people who actually make things happen, who do get taken for granted. Not that I'm comparing you to my perpetually worried aunts, who wind up organising big family parties, and cooking vast quantities of food for everyone to complain about.. but still..

Oh, and by the way- I'm sorry I only paid a flying visit to HoP HQ, and failed to mow the lawn. I shall buy another plane ticket asap.

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Malcolm = ubblove

biggrin

fake teeth and glueBRONZE Member
Checking who's online, watching you!
1,972 posts

Posted:
i would like to say thank you as well....thank you smile

i heard that what doesn't kill you makes you stronger and i think the same goes for HOP.

biggrin

you just lost the game!!!!!! !!!!!

knowledge is power, power corupts, study hard, become evil.

Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Pele

he was having ice cream in the rocket ship of luuuuuuuv wink

can I report Pele to herself for eeeeeeewness?

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
ubblol

Complaint noted wink

Pele

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Malcolm: I'll be there in less than 6 months to mow that lawn, buddy.

How much does that "baby" weigh now?

-Mike

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Doc Lightning

That 'baby' is gonna eat you alive Doc! I can see it now... biggrin

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

Neon_ShaolinGOLD Member
hehe, 'Member' huhuh
6,120 posts

Posted:
Yes... I hope you like cuddles... ubblove

"I used to want to change the world, now I just wanna leave the room with a little dignity..." - Lotus Weinstock

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :georgemc

Written by biggrinoc Lightning

That 'baby' is gonna eat you alive Doc! I can see it now... biggrin

Yeah, he's got to get around my impenetrable wall of tickles. ubblol

-Mike

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
hug

I too am in the opinion you do not need to explain yourself. I have never questioned where you were when you hadn't posted online for a while.

I had no idea of all the problems you have/had been going through, and it just makes me want to thank you even more. We all know you love HoP and would never abandon it.

You have created something so wonderful, so magnificent... words can not even begin to describe how much this site has changed me. It led me into the world I live now... I would not have a fantastic job, a fanastic fella, and well a pretty good life at the moment.

I really wish one day I can get together enough time (which is the main problem! time!) and money to come and mow your lawn smile

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

Page: