Forums > Social Discussion > Reply to bluecats thread which currently seems to be unpostable in

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ......
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
reading this-

[Old link]

and this-

[Old link]

i felt the need to make comment, but, the reply button would not work on either, so I guess they've been locked?

From the perspective of a (long-standing) member of the HOP community, i felt it was important to put forward two points-

1. why some may feel the need to talk about the banning of another long-standing member of the community, not necessarily to criticise those who made that decision, but, simply because that is what community members do when someone is exiled- they feel the need to talk about it

2. address the posted comment by a mod that, from the perspectice of a mod, any discussion of said members banning, is necessarily disrespectful to the mods

To elaborate on point 2, IMO, the discussion on the threads that have been removed or locked, did not come across as disrespectful to the mods.

To question a decision is not necessarily disrespectful.

It's true that the banning of NYC has gone largely unnoticed, till now. But, now, it has very much been noticed and, to expect this community to not talk about it, is, IMO, unrealistic.

There may be very good background reasons why it's seen as best for no discussion to take place, but, obviously, from the perspective of the community, those reasons are not known.

I know it's a difficult thing to make judgements on.

The main thing I want to say is that I find it very unpleasent when multiple threads are locked or removed, when, in my eyes, they contained nothing offensive.

I would also like the mods to examine the possibility that the pulled/stoped discussions are actually not disrespectful to HOP or the mods, but are simply members of the community discussing something which is important to them.

I'm assuming that this thread is not also going to be seen as disrespectful- it's certainly not intended as such.

If threads discussing this chain of events are going to be systematically pulled or locked, then, like many here, I'm going to be wondering whether I'm part of this community any more.

A community talks- that's the point of it.

If that talk is abusive, damaging, hurtful, then it has to be pulled- no questions about it.

But I'm concerned that what is developing here is the pulling of stuff that is not at all abusive, damaging or hurtful.

Banning someone for good reasons is one thing, but expecting the community to 'never again utter their name' is dodgy as hell smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

AdeSILVER Member
Are we there yet?
1,897 posts

Posted:
 Written by :mcp

Would I care about you participating in this board? It wouldn't affect me. Since you do nothing for the board, and nothing for the staff internet community in general.

ooh, me too! biggrin

I don't do anything for the board, just hang around here and occassionally chat, and I certainly don't do anything for the staff internet community - nor do I want to... eek

didn't realise that there was an obligation to do anything other than just have fun shrug

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Ade

didn't realise that there was an obligation to do anything other than just have fun shrug

ditto

*pinches MCP's butt and runs away giggling*

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:

There are some things that you can get from what somebody writes on the internet, weather they be the nicest person you've met in real life ever. It's there in text, like it or not.

Completely agree.

Written by mcp

Why would I contact the mods directly? I would have had to talk to the one mod, who I still think has forced her opinion on the rest, and I really don't want to talk to her.

Because that's where this should have been discussed. It's been said before that it's not fair to publically talk about NYC where he can't participate. And if you don't want to talk to her about it, there are other mods you could have contacted about it instead.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:

And yeah I was trolling,

Grow up mcp. Now that you pubicly admit to trolling, do I get to call you a troll and ban your ass for trollish behaviour? Why should you get away with it when others do not? That was rhetorical, by the way, so please resist the urge to launch into one of your trademark yawnworthy tirades.

NYC's status is not for public discussion. If I found out he was HIV poz would I be obliged to inform the community? Most certainly not... His status, in any regard, is his business and not for public announcement by anyone other than NYC.

I fail to understand your current MO mcp, and gotta tell you that it's bitterly disappointing to witness. Shocking and immature indeed, to use your own words.

So many HoP members speak so highly of you; I can only presume that you're a lot more palatable and charismatic in the flesh.

There are far more constructive ways to question the status quo... perhaps utilise a different one next time.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?
If you can answer YES to these 4 questions then you may post a reply.

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:

just like durbs isn't just a member

Sweet biggrin

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rouge Dragon

It's been said before that it's not fair to publically talk about NYC where he can't participate.

It's also been said by several people on several occasions that it's not particularly relevant (in their opinions) because-

1. they're not talking about NYC, so much as talking about the removal of a long-term, well-known member- it could have been anyone who happened to get embroiled in the particular kind of personal, flame-conflict that occurred there

2. no-one has said anything about NYC that is defamatory or in need of defence or reply

The issue here for most of those who raised it in the first place, is that a member (who just happened to be NYC- it could have been anyone), got involved in a heated conflict with another member, the details of which are unknowable and, one of those two was banished.

They feel it would be useful to know more of what went on, however, given the nature of it, most of us accept that it won't be possible to be given that knowledge.

Fair enough- I think most of us are accepting of that, but, the "it's not fair to publically talk about NYC where he can't participate" line is somewhat wearing now- it's of no real relevance and is sounding a bit like a fob-off.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
MCP

simple fact

yes old skool member s who are very active are more community than some random member who hardly posts

but the simple fact is there are rules to a forum

break them and doesn't matter how long you been here

you will be banned for breaking them

same as you will be arrested for breaking the law if caught

same as you are acting like a tool

buy showing your ignorance for the rules of the board that every one must abide by

including the mods and including malcom

grow up

and move on
EDITED_BY: brainstorma (1210168542)

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I love all this 'grow up' stuff. I do think this is passibly more important thing to discuss than going into social chat and playing the games in there.

I guess it's immature to consider the effects of things on a community I'm in. God forbid I should actually care about that stuff.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
I guess then the statement that you were trolling is kinda contradictory to this current statement that you are doing this because you care

just an observation

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I'm concerned that all this is turning into attacks on Meg.

She's just debating and wanting answers, can everyone calm down please? smile meditate *aaaaaaannd relax*

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
I thought trolling was an attempt to get a reaction out of a community? So isn't that what i did? Yeah, I wanted to raise awareness of the issue. Maybe it wasn't the best or most mature way to go about it. But how was the community going to know if I talked to the mods? They weren't. So a thread had to be started.

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Spanner

Why has this thread now been moved without notice or explanation?

It seems to be back now.

According to a pm, someone decided to shift it to senior lounge- my reply to that pm was

I'm somewhat confused as the thread seems to currently be in 'discussion'?

Maybe someones moved it back?

To where, in my opinion, it most definitly belongs.

I object very strongly to you moving that thread into seniors lounge, as-

1. if I wanted it there I would have put it there and, i'm big enough and old enough to know my own mind when deciding where i want to start a thread

2. given that the main issue of the thread touches on censorship, i feel it is a most rash decision to shift it to a place where much of the communtiy has no access to it

I would appreciate it if you gave me a quick summary of your reasons for moving my thread, please.

Dave.

To be honest, i was more than a bit p*ssed off.

I object to this shifty, 'shove-it-under-the-carpet', 'the-community-isn't-mature-enough-to-discuss-these-issues' themes that this whole issue seems to have crystalised around.

It seems particularly insensitive to remove a thread from public view (ie to senoirs lounge where only a % of members can see it), when that thread was created as a discussion on that very issue.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
MCP trolling?

Maybe, i'd not particulalry noticed it, though, going back, i can see some instances which could be seen that way.

(Just because MCP says she's trolling, does not necessarily mean she is trolling).

Here's some of what i consider to be trolling- or at least as much so as anything I've seen from MCP in this thread-

Written by :brainstorma

MCP
simple fact

same as you are acting like a tool

grow up
and move on

Written by :flash fire

And yeah I was trolling,

Grow up mcp.......................

The second one is from a mod- no offence, but I really would expect better from a mod.

There's no point to a comment like 'grow up' other than to inflame the person it's directed towards and, probably provoke a response.

This thread has done well- on a difficult subject, it's lasted 7 pages and, i feel, done some good.

Am i going to get the feeling that some who don't like it are going to try 'pushing buttons' to provoke sufficient response that it can be pulled with a clear conscience?

Cos that would, IMO, be a real waste.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

faith enfireBRONZE Member
wandering thru the woods of WI
3,556 posts

Posted:
maybe they are just tired of dealing with this thread

Faith
Nay, whatever comes one hour was sunlit and the most high gods may not make boast of any better thing than to have watched that hour as it passed

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Ah, good morning thread! Thought you'd gone.

But that was one of those content/process jokes eh, a thread about unpostability being temporarily unpostable. Ya, I use those sort of jokes in training from time to time. They are effective to get people thinking.

It was educational too, I realised that I didn't really realise what trolling actually meant (I had thought it was joining a forum under a false name just to make trouble but no, its a lot wider than that.) Lots of variants, not all negative. Some very common. and originating from attempts to preserve the integrity of forums, not destroy it. So trolls, mods and various sorts of 'puppeteering' can be very closely connected it seems!

And then I saw [Old link]. Wow, this topic goes a long way back, but the players haven't changed that much! wink

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

PyrolificBRONZE Member
Returning to a unique state of Equilibrium
3,289 posts

Posted:
for the sake of moving forward here, and not just expression of anger, I'd like anyone who is interested to post what they think are the *unresolved* issues here. I think it's been fairly clearly explained what happened and why, but I'm happy to go over any other individual points any member might have.

If there are no unresolved issues here - then please examine what you hope to achieve by continuing to flog a dead horse.

I like Spanner's idea about changing taglines to show a user has been banned. I reckon we should do that.

--
Help! My personality got stuck in this signature machine and I cant get it out!

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
 Written by : OWD

Am i going to get the feeling that some who don't like it are going to try 'pushing buttons' to provoke sufficient response that it can be pulled with a clear conscience?

Which is exactly how this entire issue started; someone pushing buttons to provoke a response. Why is it ok for one to do it but then no-one else? Is it to do with their perceived "usefulness".

Written by : Josh

I like Spanner's idea about changing taglines to show a user has been banned. I reckon we should do that.

Sounds like a good idea to me too.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:

I thought trolling was an attempt to get a reaction out of a community? So isn't that what i did? Yeah, I wanted to raise awareness of the issue. Maybe it wasn't the best or most mature way to go about it. But how was the community going to know if I talked to the mods? They weren't. So a thread had to be started.

Nice post meg. I know that it was your intention to raise awareness and I, as a member and a mod, appreciate that the end result has been an audit of sorts on the current admin functions of this site. So, thanks very much for that. Thanks also for acknowledging that it could have been initiated in a more constructive, positive manner.

I apologise for the tone in my last post directed at you - I was out of line and it sets a poor example of human interaction. I was annoyed that the thread had been bumped up by you again, 4 days after the last post was made. Dead horse indeed.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
 Written by :onewheeldave

Do you really think the mods on this site are that conniving that we would intentionally provoke someone just so we could lock a thread etc? frown I'm not sure which mod moved the thread to the other forum but given that you wrote your post in response to my heated suggestion of actively seeking maturity to meg, I think I am justified in saying that I had zero manipulative intentions - I was miffed, and reacted. Simple as that. I'm quite sad that you think I am that subversive.

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
I would prefer to keep threads like this in open forum. Its the new blood that keeps a site fresh and vibrant and just as likely to be the ones buying from HOP.

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
well i don't apologies

meg has acted IMO in a way that is not getting over things
even after she has been advised by a couple of mods and a admin member she has continued to push the issue as to why NYC was banned
i have been with hop since it was a bulletin board with no fixed membership i left for a while and came back and joined as a member
i have been an active member
but at the end of the day I'm still just a member that can be banned if i break the rules just like every one else here

and pushed the issue that old school members who are activate are in a way more superior to any other member
this is not true and as was stated by the mods there is no discussion into a private matter as to do so is to be a breach of privacy and also open a legal can of worms that could create both precedent and costly legal bills if it was to be taken to a civil court under defamation laws

a forum this big is hard to moderate
and i think the mods we have do it with a fare unbiast and tough skinned friendly manner

yeah there are always things that could be fixed
but all in all this forum runs purity smoothly

changes i would like to see

more transparency when threads are moved to areas where general members cant access (like the mod forum)

tag lines to show members are banned (all so close access to there account (cant see there profile and photos))

show tag lines of inactive members
say if they haven't logged in in say a year there account/profile shows them as being inactive members
and if its been 2 or 3 rs since they joined there account is closed

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, and screaming "WOO-HOO What a ride!"

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I would like to point out that there are members who can move threads too.
I know Richee has moved a couple of my old ones that got bumped up, he always notifies me.

I'm not saying that is what happened. I have no idea who did it, but...just so you know.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Actually my train of thought went something like this:

There's no point in contacting the mods cos if they had any interest in telling the community about NYC's banning, they would have done so a long time ago.

But if I make a thread stating that, they're bound to assume it's some sort of anti-guideline thing and remove it, so I should do it in at least a pretend 'innocent' manner. Posting something like: "Hey guys, NYC was banned months ago, and the mods didn't tell you." was probably a lot closer to actual trolling.

Then I stopped thinking and posted something cos I don't have that much time.

brainstorma: A couple of mods and an admin memeber? Actually only one mod has talked to me via PM, anything else wasn't directed 'directly' at me. And I didn't use the word 'superior' either. How many different adjectives are you going to put in my month? It's getting cramped in there.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:

I'm not sure which mod moved the thread to the other forum ...

It didn't have to be a mod that moved it. Members are able to move threads into other areas and have been for a while now. This means that the Community can to an extent "self police" minor things like a thread in the wrong area.

This change was made and "announced" a few months ago by Malcolm but it seems is not widely known so maybe we need to look at how things like that get announced too.

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
Well I think there is some valuable lessons in here today, proudly brought to you by the letter D and the number 8....

Lesson: never presume to know anything
Lesson: never assume ... ass u me etc
Lesson: don't drink & post
Lesson: although this is "just the internet" people really do care and have a significant vested interest in HoPs ongoing sustainability. Don't poop on your own doorstep.
Lesson: don't misquote people - an interpretation is too subjective when discussing such sensitive issues
Lesson: we're all human, we all make mistakes.
Lesson: the mods/admins are more approachable than you might imagine; give us a fair go next time before casting aspersions

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:

Written by :onewheeldave

Do you really think the mods on this site are that conniving that we would intentionally provoke someone just so we could lock a thread etc? frown I'm not sure which mod moved the thread to the other forum but given that you wrote your post in response to my heated suggestion of actively seeking maturity to meg, I think I am justified in saying that I had zero manipulative intentions - I was miffed, and reacted. Simple as that. I'm quite sad that you think I am that subversive.

No, I do not at all think that you or the other mods are conniving to provoke so you can lock the thread.

Neither am I under the impression that a mod moved the thread- I know who moved the thread cos they pm'd me: I'm not entirely sure what their board status is, but, i'm pretty sure they aren't a mod.

So, if I gave the impression that i consider the mods to be conniving, then I apologise.

I do feel that some of the non-mods in this thread who clearly, for reasons I cannot fathom, oppose this issue being discussed, are trolling to the extent that it could be locked: hopefully, not intentionally, but, i don't know.

And, as previously mentioned, I did feel one of your posts fell into that category- I'm 100% sure that, at worst, that posts inflammatory nature was unintentional and not any part of an attempt to justify a locking (and also that it was out of character).

i do not think you are subversive.

Just as you are miffed, appreciate that I am miffed- the moving of this thread (by, I'm assuming, a non-mod), is something which, to be frank, has got to me a bit.

This is something like the fourth or fifth thread moving and, each one of those movings has blatently done absolutely nothing whatsoever to quell discussion or improve the mood of the board- all they''ve accomplished is to create more interest and fan the flames of discussion further.

So, it's a bit annoying to find that non-mods have jumped on the bandwagon of trying to shift a thread out of public view.

Lastly, while I do not consider any of the mods to be conniving or subversive, i do feel that some of them are somewhat oversensitive and prone to seeing critisism where none is intended.

My feelings are that, to the extent that this, or other threads on this issue, are causing upset, no small part is due to people taking offence where there is actually nothing to take offense at.

Some here want to discuss these issues- as long as that discussion is non-flaming and adheres to guidelines, they should be able to do so.

(It's worth pointing out again, that those issues are not so much about NYCs banning, as about the apparent censorship/thread movings, that followed it).

Others, for reasons I genuinely cannot fathom, find the discussion of those issues to be unpleasant. Could those who feel that way, who find reading this thread unpleasant, simply cease to read it?

Cos I think that those of us who do want to discuss it, are entirely capeable of doing so in a constructive fashion with no bad feeling whatsoever- the bad feeling is mainly coming from people who find the discussion, for whatever reason, to be unpleasant, yet continue to stick around.

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

brainstormaBRONZE Member
old hand
1,184 posts

Posted:
MCP i have never quoted you
only stated my observations of your posts
and IMO they have been that you see us old schoolers as being a key role in this community
which we are
but you have constantly failed to acknowledge and accept that we are also subject to the rules of this forum

and also thats the issues of the banning are private matter between NYC and the mods admin of this forum

thus you have constantly shown a level of immaturity that failles to move on once your question has been answered with an answer you refuse to accept

flash fireBRONZE Member
Sporadically Prodigal
2,758 posts

Posted:
thanks for the clarification OWD smile

HoP Posting Guidelines
Is it the Truth?

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I think the issue of what it would take to be banned here.. and who you'd have to upset to get banned...is a very real one. I have been on HoP for just over three years. It seems longer to me though because it has meant so much to me in terms of meeting people and expanding my world. Not to mention that it has has helped me take up a bigger role in assisting the firespinny world that I have been part of for more like thirteen years.

In that time, I have often self-censored my responses when I have observed what I thought was poor moderation or use of power: generally from Pele, I have to finally say, because not to leaves others who have expressed that experience unsupported. Why self censor? Because I have been nervous to get banned, be unpleasantly PMd or have commments/threads moved to defuse the discussion. I knew it happened and I didn't want it to happen. I am STILL nervous to call this directly. But at least I have the notion now that it is fairly hard to get banned here; and I can see that moderation style is changing. Lessons are being learned and more reasonable mods are more visible. So I may become a little braver. Unfortunately though, I see HoP shrinking... less and less people seem to be involved although there are so many members. It's a shame.
EDITED_BY: newgabe (1210220530)

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

YakumoSILVER Member
veteran
1,237 posts

Posted:
I don't know the details but feel strongly about censorship, proper moderation and similar issues so have to chip in here :

Written by =flash fire

NYC's status is not for public discussion.

That's quite a totalitarian statement for a friendly open community.

I think those involved should bear in mind that in the context of the universe of 'homeofpoi.com' as far as many members of this community are concerned, you have black bagged and executed their associate, totally off the books.

Not everyone browses hop regularly (yes even 4 months).

His user avatar/title etc give no notice that his account was banned.

His account profile gives no notice that his account was banned.

No statement was made to show that his account was banned.

I'm assuming PMs to him will not go out to his email account any more even if they were set to before, and without an email address to reply to he wouldn't be able to respond anyway.

Considering the account wasn't clearly a spambot, someone with no purpose other than to troll, or a low post troublemaker I view this as a total failure on the part of the mods involved to "moderate" the community.

You cannot do such things to an established user without at least some element of transparency and not expect a massive backlash.

At the very least, common forum practice for all but spambots or the worst offenders is to remove the most offending parts of a post, and leave some kind of banned marker so they're left as an example of what is not acceptable. In most forums marking of banned accounts is automatic, or one of the earlier mods that tends to get written.

Dissapearing entire threads because some small part of it that isn't the OP (opening post) breaks rules/derails/offends is also ridiculous.

Blinded by Hyperlights, please donate generously grin

Page: ......