Forums > Social Discussion > Reply to bluecats thread which currently seems to be unpostable in

Login/Join to Participate
Page: ...
onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
reading this-

[Old link]

and this-

[Old link]

i felt the need to make comment, but, the reply button would not work on either, so I guess they've been locked?

From the perspective of a (long-standing) member of the HOP community, i felt it was important to put forward two points-

1. why some may feel the need to talk about the banning of another long-standing member of the community, not necessarily to criticise those who made that decision, but, simply because that is what community members do when someone is exiled- they feel the need to talk about it

2. address the posted comment by a mod that, from the perspectice of a mod, any discussion of said members banning, is necessarily disrespectful to the mods

To elaborate on point 2, IMO, the discussion on the threads that have been removed or locked, did not come across as disrespectful to the mods.

To question a decision is not necessarily disrespectful.

It's true that the banning of NYC has gone largely unnoticed, till now. But, now, it has very much been noticed and, to expect this community to not talk about it, is, IMO, unrealistic.

There may be very good background reasons why it's seen as best for no discussion to take place, but, obviously, from the perspective of the community, those reasons are not known.

I know it's a difficult thing to make judgements on.

The main thing I want to say is that I find it very unpleasent when multiple threads are locked or removed, when, in my eyes, they contained nothing offensive.

I would also like the mods to examine the possibility that the pulled/stoped discussions are actually not disrespectful to HOP or the mods, but are simply members of the community discussing something which is important to them.

I'm assuming that this thread is not also going to be seen as disrespectful- it's certainly not intended as such.

If threads discussing this chain of events are going to be systematically pulled or locked, then, like many here, I'm going to be wondering whether I'm part of this community any more.

A community talks- that's the point of it.

If that talk is abusive, damaging, hurtful, then it has to be pulled- no questions about it.

But I'm concerned that what is developing here is the pulling of stuff that is not at all abusive, damaging or hurtful.

Banning someone for good reasons is one thing, but expecting the community to 'never again utter their name' is dodgy as hell smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
thanks dave hug for saying what i wanted to say.

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*wondering if OWD actually read the response that one of the threads was pulled to be reviewed and is not deleted or locked*

Let's see.

Two of the threads contained statements which literally blamed active members and made statements that some here are more important than others. Simply untrue. They were inciteful and defaming, which is why they were removed.

What's is disrespectful, to me, is that even after requests to let it go, people are bringing it back up...knowing that it is causing distress to others (as evidence in Doc's statement) and that one of the people is not here to give his input. That *is* disrespectful.

It's what the topic has turned into that is the reason behind the locking, and to avoid it turning into that, yet again. Not the topic on the whole. And you OWD asked politely.

There have been many requests to drop the subject because one of the main characters is not here. That is completely reasonable.

Knowing the details literally serves *no* purpose.

An understanding?

To what effect/affect?

To know it for the sake of knowledge?

A better understanding of how to follow the rules? If you don't know it by now, there is a greater issue.

Here's all the questions, truncated.

Was he banned? Yes, months and months ago.

For how long? Undetermined. We've reviewed it once and will do so again.

Will he be back? Read above. Beyond that, it will be his choice.

What did he do? Without invading the privacy or creating a defamation of character he used the forum and the PM function in a manner deemed against the rules. He was given numerous chances over the course of months to take corrective measures.

Who made the decision? The mods and admins together (except Dom, he was mia)

Was his contribution to the forums and his time concidered? Yes. Heavily. It's part of the reason we gave him so many chances.

Why weren't we notified?

Because public announcements aren't made when an employee is laid off from a company or a student is suspended from a school. This is no different. It was a private matter, handled privately. As all disciplinary actions have been over the course of HoP.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1208817305)

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
I thought the reason the initial thread was closed was because Mike reminded people that NYC was unable to give a right of reply and was potentially not even reading a thread that was about him, and therefore it was deemed unfair to be talking about him behind his back.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
*wonders if Pele realises that we can't see the Mods' Forum*

If A thread has been moved there for review, we can't see it.

As far as we're concerned, it's deleted. There's no other signal to show otherwise.

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Well said Dave.

In the locked thread

Written by gorgemc

HoP always allows people to express their opinion on the site as long as said opinion is not harmful/hurtful or expressed in a way which is harmful/hurtful.

So what gives?

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

TheBovrilMonkeySILVER Member
Liquid Cow
2,629 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Pele

*wondering if OWD actually read the response that one of the threads was pulled to be reviewed and is not deleted or locked*

Is there really much difference between deleting a thread and moving it somewhere we can neither read or post in it?

All we get to see is a conspicuous absence of a thread and start jumping to conclusions.
Maybe a placeholder thread letting us know it's been moved, in a similar way to how we can move threads between the technical/moves sections would be a good idea.

*is really hoping this doesn't turn into a Pele vs the world arguement just because Pele's currently the only visible face of the mods*

But there's no sense crying over every mistake. You just keep on trying till you run out of cake.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
Ok so there's at least 4 different threads on this general subject - can we please not have any more?! wink

To the issue - Debating topics is fine, but the particular topic of debate is going to be pretty one sided and probably not achieve anything in the absence of "the other side of the story". "The other side of the story" is generally not able to be told as it involves someone's privacy. And so that's why the other thread(s) were locked - because in the absence of that story it was felt the thread would degenerate into a kind of one-sided slanging match which would not achieve anything except hurt.

But I can talk in general terms about bannings and how it is gone about in case that helps.
Sometimes, a mod/admin can/does ban a user account instantly without consultation - this has happened over the last few months in the cases of spam-bots or people creating accounts for the sole purpose of sending scam PM's. Some of you know about this one first hand right? Should be no problems there. If it is subsequently discovered the banned account was not a spam bot or a person abusing the PM system then the account can be reinstated, but so far all the cases of this nature I'm aware of have been spam.

The other type of banning occurs usually only after a long history of "stuff". Typically it goes like this: someone frequently flouts the forum rules of public decency (language, offensive behaviour, usually offensive towards someone else etc) and is warned and is good for a while and then "reverts". Pattern repeats. Then perhaps a particular event occurs and the person steps well over the mark and the mods are notified, and discuss it and decide that the person has gone too far, has had sufficient warnings and in order to learn the final lesson has earned a ban - usually temporary. The discussion varies as each case is unique. Sometimes it's an easy decision and sometimes it's not, but either way, it's a consensus decision between all the mods. Everyone has to agree that all the contributing factors have been taken into account - including the impact on the community. Then the decision is implemented and monitored - and reviewed at appropriate time intervals.

A banning is usually NEVER as a result of one particular thread/post/incident. It is usually after a history. And it is usually also not as a result of just "person A vs person B" - that is often the impression from the last incident that triggered the eventual banning, but we usually need more than just that to consider imposing a ban. There would normally need to be evidence of "person A vs other persons" as well. Now, not everyone in the community may have seen or be aware of this kind of evidence, but the mods usually are.

So that's the process for those who were wondering. I hope it helps, but I guess it won't because everyone really wants to know what on earth happened in the particular case. At some point I guess it comes down to this simple question - "do I trust the mods/admin folk on HoP?".
Sometimes each of us makes mistakes - we are only human after all, but there are a number of mods on HoP for the reason that one single person may make a mistake but the others will help straighten out any mistakes so that overall, in general, things are fine.

I'm the newest person on the mods/admin team and I've heard it said that I'm "everyone's friend". Well, let me say that I'm not trying to be everyone's friend but I am simply trying to see both sides of every argument/difference of opinion and aim for the middle ground because in my 40 odd years of life on this planet, I've worked out that humans tend to disagree and the world is a nicer place if people work together, and the best way of working together is to seek the consensus/middle ground. On few occasions this approach doesn't work if one person is "unreasonable" about this - in these cases the person finds out I am not "everyone's friend" as I can, and will, act for the good of the majority.

I could say more, but it probably constitute "preaching" soapbox so since I've said enough I'll post this and see if it helps. I hope it does.

PS just to add so it IS clear - in the case in question, the typical process I described above WAS followed.

George

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
Very well said Dave!

I'm not very goood at explaining myself but I was quite annoyed the thread got locked (the original).

To quote Stone and the other thread that: "HoP always allows people to express their opinion on the site as long as said opinion is not harmful/hurtful or expressed in a way which is harmful/hurtful."

I understand that it was the mods wish to bant his and 'in theory' we should respect it, but I also feel that it was a important discussion, involving the community of HoP and should have been left open.

It seems that the closure of the thread was the higher ups saying 'we dont want you talking about this anymore' and we are expected to just agree with the decision.

As Dave put it we are a community, communities talk when things change.

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :TheBovrilMonkey

Is there really much difference between deleting a thread and moving it somewhere we can neither read or post in it?

All we get to see is a conspicuous absence of a thread and start jumping to conclusions.
Maybe a placeholder thread letting us know it's been moved, in a similar way to how we can move threads between the technical/moves sections would be a good idea.

*is really hoping this doesn't turn into a Pele vs the world arguement just because Pele's currently the only visible face of the mods*

A place holder is a good idea. Thank you.
I did clearly state that I moved it for review in the other thread. I did that hoping to weighlay all of this "deleting" stuff.
I tried. shrug

I amended my above posts to address the prevelent questions rising from this.

An Bov, thanks, I hope it doesn't either. On my end, it won't. I'm tagging someone else in as I have a costume to make for Saturday biggrin

Pele

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
heck! 6 posts while I was writing that!
But I think everything has been covered so, 'nuff said...

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by :TheBovrilMonkey

It will always be so here...

Flashfire... never speaks out and hasn't done for years.. though I know she is here and I love her dearly, she should speak out publicly like she used to.

Charles? who?...

Josh... far too pally with the likes of the faces of HoP and will back them in any argument and over look so many other people... sorry Josh but I don't think that you have spoken up publicly about any of this either.

Dom?... why is he an admin anyway? I thought that all Dom did was the help with the DB on the site upgrade some years ago.

Malcolm???... so absent in recent years. Where did he go?...

George.... mr Friendly... every one loves George, but I think that he should have stepped up more publicly on this too...

NYC got banned.. who cares, he did wrong... MCP is a [censored] stirrer... who cares again?.. do you need so much Drama in your life?.

Do you really give a damn?...

Of course it will be a world against Pele if the rest of the Mods and Admins do not step up publicly... isn't that why you all give her such a hard time because she is the only one that steps up and tells you how it is?...

This forum is pathetic in so many ways.

And this is why I don't bother any more.

Hugs to Firetom.

hug

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I posted at the same time as Geroge so would like to add something else.

It seems (from my opinion and I may totally be wrong her) that the mods are trying to defend the reasonf or banning NYC and indeed others. I may be wrong here but I don't think that is what this thread, and the one before was actually about.

It is my view that 'we' the community are upset about how threads DISCUSSING the incident have been locked or removced so we are unable to DISCUSS the incident. I am sure the mod's have their reasons for banning people and totally respect it, as you say it's done witha vote and much deliberation which seems very fair to me.

But that does not seem to be what we are actually discussing here and it seems the mod's only reply to the closure of the thread is its a private issue between NYC and those invovled, yes the banning of him certainly is, but I should still think we should be allowed to discuss it as an effected community?

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
thanks george, lot more clarity now. it' d be nice if thread starters could be informed personally when their threads are being locked. could you guys manage that?

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
Will, in my opinion, and as I said earlier, any discussion by the Community on the general topic of thread locking/disappearing etc in this particular case is going to be incomplete without the full details and we are very reluctant to disclose the details for the stated and obvious reasons. It makes it very difficult for anyone to have a valid discussion with only a fraction of the info. It makes it really difficult.

PK hug but Pele has her ways and I have mine. I often can't, or won't, tell it like it is because there is always more than one way to skin the cat (not you Rob). I really value Pele's stepping in when perhaps I should have, but I am busy busy and usually not around to watch out for things like this, plus a lot of it happens while I'm asleep and Pele's awake and that is another factor. Pele always has my respect for what she does and tries to do for HoP. Thanks Pele hug .

And when one starts answering questions in this manner, it feels defensive. And defensive isn't much good.

But I do like your comment about "who need's the drama". I think everyone should learn about that lesson.

grin

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by :bluecat

thanks george, lot more clarity now. it' d be nice if thread starters could be informed personally when their threads are being locked. could you guys manage that?

I guess so, but sometimes the locking is less to do with the originator than some of the replies so this may not address all the issues. But it's a reasonably quick courtesy so should be ok.
Thanks

grin

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
The way i have seen it for years though George is that it is and has only ever been Pele and as Bov wrote it, it is obvious that it is also seen by others off the community too... only recently I told you privately in email that I have not been around on HoP in the past 6+ months... and because of two people... and both are being discussed in this thread.... shame really.

I know that you deal with things in your own way... but not every one thinks that it is the best way, there are so many others here with a differing opinion which is what makes us so unique... you might be right, i might be wrong or visa versa.. it doesn't matter... at the end of the day after all of the years that I have read the board.. there has only been Pele post publicly about HoP matters where Malcolm and or other Admins and or Mods should have stepped up too.

I don't think any of you realise just how much of her life she gives to HoP and that sickens me. frown

*edit*... and she does it all for free!.. is that so fair? confused I don't think so!.. (sorry George, you get paid a wage and you don't speak up!... do you feel bad for the [censored] that Pele takes for the company and for the community?.
EDITED_BY: PK_ (1208820419)

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I've never asked for money, PK. I love HoP. I have for nearly 10 years.

George is paid to be the GM of HoP headquarters, which entails so very, very much more than the forums.

However George, we are all very busy. tongue

Pele

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Pele

I've never asked for money, PK. I love HoP. I have for nearly 10 years.

I never said that you did, And I am not getting at that.

Hop is more than just an office/warehouse/HQ... HoP is a community of 70,000+ (is it now?) members united in a shared enjoyment....
Mod's and Admins should be "seen and heard"... not "listed and AWOL".

And I think that they should also be shown some respect for what they give up in their lives to help run HoP for all of these years?..

Anyone recall the "bring back the mods thread" not so long back?... I made a point there!... where are we 6 months on... no where.. back at the beginning again.

Shame that really.

Lives, families, relationships... we all have them and a lot of us gave up so much of our time to help HoP in it's growth.... and we all did it for the love of HoP... what happened to that love?.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
 Written by :PK_

*edit*... and she does it all for free!.. is that so fair? confused I don't think so!.. (sorry George, you get paid a wage and you don't speak up!... do you feel bad for the censored that Pele takes for the company and for the community?.

Dude, thats a bit harsh, I get what your saying about how it seems only Pele seems to be the voice of the mods, but I guess thats something that needs to be sorted 'in house'
EDITED_BY: PyroWill (1208821861)

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
in house... out house...

what does that matter in the whole discussion of the threads in hand here?... wasn't that a point of the discussion?.... shouldn't this have all been left in house? where it belonged in the first place.

Is it your concern as to whom got banned or not and for what ever reason?...

or would that be to the mods or admins of HoP?....

My point was... people are paid to do a job... others that have done it for free for almost ten years... who gets hurt in this equation?.

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
No I am simply referring to the issue that whether some mod's are doing their jobs more than others and payment of said job is an issue that should be sorted in house.

I also agree that banning someone is an 'in house' decision. The discussion of such a thing however I believe is not

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
PK in many ways Home of Poi, is our house.

It seems natural to me that the "caring people of HoP" would be concerned when another member of the community was banned.

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
I understand what your saying stone, however as the mods said he has been missing for a good few months now and a lot of people havent noticed it/spoken up, so really how caring are we??

For me the issue is more about how we don't seem to be able to discuss it. I may however be totally alone with this feeling.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
It's not that we didn't notice that NYC was gone. I had been wondering where he was when mcp posted. So, it was a bit of a shock to hear he had been banned.

What I don't understand is when there is a serious conflict between two people, and a resolution cannot be reached, why only one member is banned. I’m basing that opinion on a thread called Letting go, in the retired members lounge.

StoutBRONZE Member
Pooh-Bah
1,872 posts

Posted:
 Written by :PyroWill

I understand what your saying stone, however as the mods said he has been missing for a good few months now and a lot of people haven't noticed it/spoken up, so really how caring are we??

For me the issue is more about how we don't seem to be able to discuss it. I may however be totally alone with this feeling.

I. along with several others, simply assumed that NYC moved on under his own volition as several other members have done.

Usually, in these situations we could have threads to refer to so we can all beak off our own opinions whether the ban was fair/unfair

This ban is a rather unique situation as it's obvious that most of the "offences" happened in a PM format and we have to respect HoP's desire to keep those conversations private.

Now we all know, NYC is reading this thread, and we all know he has access to another account which he could use to present his side of the story. It's up to him whether he wants to and I'm fine with whatever decision he makes regarding this issue.

Unless that happens though, we're just forming our opinions based on hearsay.

pkBRONZE Member
Lambretta Fanatic
4,997 posts

Posted:
I agree Stone... you are right.

But I have to agree with Will there too!, has NYC emailed me since he left, got banned or whatever?... no! is the answer... Have I him... no!

As he you?.. have you him?...

Nyc did good in many ways here, I miss him, i miss him as a friend, if he were concerned for me he would be in contact with me like the friends and the love that I have in my life that I met through this community.

I just don't care who got banned and for what, or the concern for it to be discussed or for any one else to get hurt in the whole matter, because some where some how; some one will.

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
“A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." Walter Winchell

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Stone

What I don't understand is when there is a serious conflict between two people, and a resolution cannot be reached, why only one member is banned. I’m basing that opinion on a thread called Letting go, in the retired members lounge.

I really don't want to become a part of this but please just read every thing before you post.

Saying things like this after they have been asked and explained many times just creates more rumours.

See below

Written by :georgemc

The other type of banning occurs usually only after a long history of "stuff". Typically it goes like this: someone frequently flouts the forum rules of public decency (language, offensive behaviour, usually offensive towards someone else etc) and is warned and is good for a while and then "reverts". Pattern repeats. Then perhaps a particular event occurs and the person steps well over the mark and the mods are notified, and discuss it and decide that the person has gone too far, has had sufficient warnings and in order to learn the final lesson has earned a ban - usually temporary. The discussion varies as each case is unique. Sometimes it's an easy decision and sometimes it's not, but either way, it's a consensus decision between all the mods. Everyone has to agree that all the contributing factors have been taken into account - including the impact on the community. Then the decision is implemented and monitored - and reviewed at appropriate time intervals.

A banning is usually NEVER as a result of one particular thread/post/incident. It is usually after a history. And it is usually also not as a result of just "person A vs person B" - that is often the impression from the last incident that triggered the eventual banning, but we usually need more than just that to consider imposing a ban. There would normally need to be evidence of "person A vs other persons" as well. Now, not everyone in the community may have seen or be aware of this kind of evidence, but the mods usually are.

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Like you, I had to get something off my chest. I would have posted that comment in the mcp’s original thread, where perhaps comments like that belong, but the thread was locked before I could reply to a question by FT. Which to me suggests that when disputes come up it’s best to let them run their course.

As was pointed out:

Written by OWD

1. why some may feel the need to talk about the banning of another long-standing member of the community, not necessarily to criticise those who made that decision, but, simply because that is what community members do when someone is exiled- they feel the need to talk about it

2. address the posted comment by a mod that, from the perspectice of a mod, any discussion of said members banning, is necessarily disrespectful to the mods

EDITED_BY: Stone (1208827042)

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
No what I was saying is why did you feel the need to ask the same question that has already been asked a number of times and been answered.

You asked:
Why when there is a serious conflict between two people, and a resolution cannot be reached, why only one member is banned.

The mods have already said clearly and multiple times that it was not one conflict between only two people and it was not just one incident and that is why only one member was banned

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Page: ...