1st May - Brisbane
6th May - Rockhampton
14th-19th May - Tasmania
19th to 21st May - Melbourne
21st May - Auckland
27th May - Wellington
29th May - 9th June - South Island
9th June - 23rd June - Perth and WA

Let me know if you're free, want to meet up, or have a spare bed/sofa/corner near the fireplace grin

[size:6pt]Awright! I've looked into flights and routes and here's the plan so far:

1. London (start, end of Jan/beg. of Feb 09)

2. Montreal - visit some of my Canuck friends from the 1995 school exchange (and hopefully get free accomodation), or, should they be unavailable, just appreciate the city (3 days or so)

3. New York - maybe visit Molly? (3 days or so)

4. Potentially Key West since I got a very sunny invitation to go there

5. Nassau (so that I can sing Sloop John B like I know what I'm talking about. Must go on ship. Expensive since no friends in Bahama, therefore probably short)

6. New Orleans (Mardi Gras time. And apparently an invitation to the Gay Ball. This is getting better and better!!)

Depending on planning and people's availability, stages 2-6 can be swapped round a bit.

7. San Francisco or Vancouver or San Diego or North Carolina (depending on friends' availability and stuff. If you want me to sway towards either of them you'll probably succeed)

8. Honolulu (I don't have a friend there, so this bit is going to be expensive, but what the hell, I'll get free flower necklaces, right?)

9. Fiji Islands (because I can take 4 stops in that region of the world and think I should make use of them, again probably short). If anyone can recommend another stop in the SW pacific please let me know. Thx.

10. Auckland.

11. (make way on the ground to, maybe 3 weeks?) Queenstown and hopefully see lots of interesting stuff and HoPpers on the way.

12. Hobart (must see Tasmania since I loved Einstein Junior as a kid. Also must see Tasmanian Devils before all die of whatever infection it is they have. Around 1 week)

13. Melbourne. Rental car and looooooong road trip time (2-3 months. Wheeee!).

14. EITHER back to London OR Singapore-Bangkok-Mumbai (have very old penfriend in Mumbai whom I've been writing to since I'm 12 or so, would be lovely to finally meet her! On the other hand, I can't be away forever and adding another continent will mean I have to rush through other places and get a whole bunch of vaccinations and visa etc. Again, advice would be welcome. Might be better to do a decent Asia-trip on its own after the next contract.)

Of course I'll end up jobless and moneyless at the end of all this, but maybe I'm lucky and someone will employ me again.

Any comments, suggestions, requests for meeting me somewhere along the way or travelling a bit together, are welcome. FYI, I need to go in a westerly direction between continents, can't go to any more destinations within Europe, and don't eat onions.

I've been dreaming of this for ages, but postponed 10 years ago because unexpectedly uni wanted me to start straight away, even though I refused to take part in their application test/interview thingy (alternative was to start 6 months later and travel first, which I thought was going to happen, but as I said they wanted me straight away), was postponed in 2004 on account of me getting a PhD straight away, and then was postponed again last year on account of Still Writing Up The PhD And Needing A Job. So now it must happen.[/color]

EDITED_BY: Birgit (1239958675)
EDIT_REASON: update

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Owner of Dragosani's left half

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Birgitdecent Asia-trip on its own

YAY smile bounce2

Originally Posted By: Birgit after the next contract

NAY frown cry

wink

Best of luck on your tour smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

BirgitBRONZE Member
had her carpal tunnel surgery already thanks v much
4,145 posts

Posted:
Not too much snow please, Mrs Molly, I'd like to be able to get some form of transport to see my friends in Canada!! There's a guy with a guitar I'd quite like to go and see play, but I don't have his show dates yet...

"vices are like genitals - most are ugly to behold, and yet we find that our own are dear to us."
(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
coming to a country near you
4,696 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Mother_Natures_SonI've never been on the devilcat, but I've been on the spirit of tasmania and that was a lovely ride. smile

lucky. they dont run the devil cat any more because they realised that catamarans and that stretch of water was a dumb combination.

heres a fun quote from wikipedia about bass strait
Originally Posted By: wikiTo illustrate its wild strength, Bass Strait is both twice as wide and twice as rough as the English Channel.

"but have you considered there is more to life than your eyelids?"

jointly owned by Fire_Spinning_Angel and Blu_Valley

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
so hows the trip looking? any more plans made?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Plans in the making from now!! Got the first bit of my America itinerary (NYC-Pittsburgh-Baltimore-Raleigh-New Orleans-Memphis-St Louis-Chicago-Montreal in about a month, I hope...).

For Tassie, when would be best to go there between March and June? I'll get to Melbourne at the end of March I think (no guarantees, my mind's all in a mess!!), so let me know your availability in late March/early April and I'll see what I can book! Just made another Tassie friend on a different website, so there'll be lots of fun grin

I think I'll definitely make it a week in Tasmania, it should be well worth it!

Forgot to say: There'll be 2 1/2 months in Oz and about 3 weeks in NZ, so any must-sees and wanna-meets please let me know.

(G.W. Dahlquist)

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Must see me in Perth wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

Pogo69SILVER Member
there's no charge for awesomeness... or attractiveness
3,764 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: BirgitPlans in the making from now!! Got the first bit of my America itinerary (NYC-Pittsburgh-Baltimore-Raleigh-New Orleans-Memphis-St Louis-Chicago-Montreal in about a month, I hope...).

oooh... that's where bek lives...!! well, not exactly, but it's the closest big smoke.

as for your aussie itinerary, you need only remember one thing; all roads lead to brissie... the good ones, anyway... grin

--pogo (pat) [forever and always]

Juggling Jack FlashGOLD Member
Sneaking
1,207 posts

Posted:
Definately make sure you come and check out the wonder that is the queenstown lakes district, by far some of the most stunning spots in all of NZ down here. I'm pretty sure there will still be some autumny goodness in arrowtown around that time of year although it is cutting it rather close to winter so I can at least guarantee cold mornings, but the adventure activities around here warm you up pretty smartly, Qtwn isn't called the adventure/adrenaline capital of NZ for nothing. Then there's me, no trip to NZ would be complete without that on the cards tongue2

Shoot for the moon, even if you miss you land among the stars

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Perth, Brisbane and Queenstown are firmly placed on the map already! From what I know so far I'll be getting into Perth on the 9th of June. Brisbane (and non-Western Australia) should be some time in April or early May, and Queenstown some time early June grin Can't remember if it was Queenstown or Christchurch, but I met some random Irishman a few weeks ago who gave me a note for a barman in one of the two that he said would either get me free drinks or chased out of the pub. That should be fun.

Can't wait to meet you all smile

Pogo, I'll get in touch with Bek. Won't be spending a lot of time on the US East Coast because someone told me I should be in New Orleans for at least a week prior to Mardi Gras to really enjoy it, but I WILL be in Raleigh for Valentine's Day. I think.

Here's the refined version of where I'll go in North America, I think I've organised most of my free accomodation with the exception of Vancouver, Hawaii and the Bahamas, but those weren't going to be easy and there's always couchsurfing:

Bermuda, NYC, Bellefonte, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Raleigh, Atlanta, New Orleans, St Louis, Chicago, Montreal, Nassau, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver, LA, Honolulu

I hope the bounce smileys still work, haven't been here much since the big redesign... bounce2

(G.W. Dahlquist)

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Originally Posted By: Birgit Brisbane (and non-Western Australia) should be some time in April or early May, ...
Can't wait to meet you all smile

Well, I am thinking to be in Bali at Nick Woosley's poi retreat late April/early May!!
But I am sure Bris will rock on without me....

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Ooh wow, have fun!! I'll still message you once I've made more detailed plans smile

I think I've arranged my very first couchsurf in Bermuda, I'm very excited!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
I figured you probably had a post somewhere about this, since you PM'ed me about being in Raleigh...and it appears that it is the one in NC, after all... laugh3

I'm only about 30 minutes outside of Raleigh, so it's where I go when I want to go anywhere...I'm out in the boonies!!!

We should be able to find something going on for the couple of days that you'll be here...lots of spinny or just plain fun folk in ol Raleighwood...if you're here on a Saturday morn, you should come go to dance class with me...Sara has a morning drop in class...we might get you hooked on Tribal belly dance... yes

Oooh...and I think you said you had friends in Raleigh, yes? So, you've got lodging? If not, my couch is your couch!
EDITED_BY: Bek66 (1231758393)

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Need a Tuesady and a Sunday in Perth grin

Is it the Truth?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
HHHHooorayyy for vistors!

Is it the Truth?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I do have a sofa in Raleigh and a lovely friend who'll probably be happy to meet you, too, Bek grin I think I'll arrive quite late on the 14th since I'll come all the way from Baltimore with a stop in Virginia Beach to meet another onlineperson, so that'll take me most of the day.

Gnor, I'll arrive in Perth on the 9th of June according to my long list of flights, and will fly out to Singapore 2 weeks later. I won't spend all that time in Perth I don't think, but I'll try and be there on spinny days!

Could I possibly ask you for a sofa or some floorspace? I was going to maybe-stay with someone, but he & wife might be in Germany (oh the irony!!) that time of year!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Okey-dokey, so we'll just have to see what's what on the 15th, cuz I'm sure after that long day, you'll be ready to vegetate for a lil while. I'm sure we can find something...and maybe our NC weather will be kind and we'll have an early spring day. Pat is always saying that NC is the only place he knows of that can span all four seasons in the space of 24 hrs. *giggle*

"Absence is to love what wind is to fire...it extinguishes the small, enkindles the great."
--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
2 days till takeoff!! I'm so excited. And I just can't fight it. I know I know I know I know I know...

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Oooh, you've not left, yet...good...

In case you didn't get my message on your 'getjealous' board...got something planned for you on the morn of the 15th...not too early...around 10:30...and we'll take you out to lunch, afterwards...how's that sound?

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Ooh, sorry! Didn't check there the last 2 days, was so busy organising everything and getting on the plane!

I'll check with Sharon who I'll be staying with, and will get back to you shortly! grin

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
Your friends are more than welcome to come along, also...I just wouldn't advise it if they're die-hard christians...*giggle*...but yes, do tell them/her, whichever it is, that they're invited, too...the more, the merrier...!!!
EDITED_BY: Bek66 (1233625793)

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
So I've met Molly and NYC and Bek now, and they're all lovely as usual (Molly and NYC) or lovely as expected (Bek) grin Next stop, Mardi Gras!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

KihitaraSILVER Member
Red Damselfly
14 posts

Posted:
I know georgemc said get out of Auckland as quickly as possible (and if you like SCENERY, then I agree, get thee to the South Island), but if you happen to be here on a Sunday then head over to Mission Bay for the FireNight. If it's still running in May. Otherwise I'm sure we could organise something for you to join whenever you happen to be here!

Never meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

PuffSILVER Member
The Magic Dragon
134 posts

Posted:
It'll still be pumping in May. The Tuesday one closes down over winter but The FireStuff peeps will brave the cold every Sunday no matter what!

Unless it's really really cold then we all stay home and watch Matlock.

Let my words, dear friends, be treasures. Weightless golden butterflies that hang before your eyes for seconds, then are gone. But the dust of truth and beauty that their wingbeats leave behind will settle on your soul and make you happy. - Edward Monkton

Bek66Future Mrs Pogo
4,728 posts

Posted:
It was lovely to meet you, too, Birgit...and I hope you had a blast at Mardi Gras. Guy and Jeannie said to tell you they enjoyed meeting you, also...

Safe travels, lady!

--Comte Debussy-Rebutin

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Aww, they're both wonderful, give them hugs from me please.

In Honolulu now, going to the local firemeet on Thursday I think - I randomly ended up at a couchsurfer's who spins poi!

And Sunday it's on to Melbourne!!

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
when are you heading down this way again?

some time around Easter isnt it?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
Well I've just been told I can stay in Melbourne for as long as I want, so any time that's good for you will work, though for me it'd be easiest if it was at the beginning or end of my stay, i.e. 6th April onwards or after 11th May, so I can fly in and out of Melbourne and go and play elsewhere in the meantime. I haven't booked anything yet, in other words, so your wish is my command smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
wow! thats pretty flexible! how long were you planning on coming down for?

BirgitBRONZE Member
4,145 posts

Posted:
I have 7 weeks before I move on to NZ and then Perth smile

(G.W. Dahlquist)

Mr MajestikSILVER Member
4,696 posts

Posted:
is that a "no set amount of time" then?

Page: