Forums > Social Discussion > Speaking of which, where is NYC?

Login/Join to Participate

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Yeah where is the old chappy? And what are these rumors I hear about him being banned?

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I heard that too, is this considered stirring meg? ubblol

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
I third that motion.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

RicheeBRONZE Member
HOP librarian
1,841 posts

Posted:
No, NYC left HOP last year you remember after HOP has changed.

757615 -> 837656 -> .....

(To become lurker again!)

Same like [Nx?] who left a while after.

(Nx!)

WHERE ARE YOU!!

aaaargh,

:R

POI THEO(R)IST

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
He lives on St. James Place.

Go find him.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
he is in NYC, and unfortunately no longer has access to post on the board frown

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Funnily enough mcp, I have also been thinking about NYC. I just thought he had moved on to greener pastures.

I hope my negativity has not contributed to his absence.

:sad:

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
You should address this to the Mods. As far as my informations go he's been banned from this board.

I did like his New Yorkian style and his contributions to this board, the assistance he provided to noobs and beginners. Yet after a number of very unpleasant reactions of NYC to my posts in a series of threads I felt the need to call on the mods to mediate the ongoing conflict between him and me. He continuously complained about me posting in "his" threads or when I simply addressed him or to his posts in any which way - he claimed that I would continuously "harass" him - which was not the case.

What I got told then was that he got banned. I made very clear to the Mods that this has been the least of my intentions when reporting. After all we're all 'just' humans and can have a bad day or a bad week - BTDT. No offense beyond reason taken.

I got told that it was not just on me and not on his reactions to me alone - but due to a series of posts that other users found offensive and abusive as well.

Further details I can't provide as I have not been involved any deeper. I think that his absence is a loss... shrug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

StoneGOLD Member
Stream Entrant
2,829 posts

Posted:
Yeah, well that’s all very well Fire Tom.

But to me, it sounds like you got a someone bumped from this board because then didn’t agree with your opinion!

If we as members of the human race practice meditation, we can transcend our fear, despair, and forgetfulness. Meditation is not an escape. It is the courage to look at reality with mindfulness and concentration. Thich Nhat Hanh

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
Firetom, did you at all try to speak to NYC about his apparent abuse and unpleasant reactions?? I know the mod's try to appease many situations, NYC's banning is very curious to me. He has always been a very contributing member to this community and even if sometimes his comments weren't always welcome I can't see what he could have said to warrant a banning, he knows the rules.

It actually makes me a bit worried and I feel the need to 'tread lightly' more and more on this board.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
He's still a registered user. Are you sure he's banned? Maybe he just went his own way?

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
NYC was banned many, many months ago.

There are several reasons why, not only the exchanges with FireTom, so take it easy on him please.
Many attempts were made for months upon months to reconcile situations, a vote was taken and a unanimous decision was ultimately reached between Malcolm, the mods and George. It was a sad and very difficult decision for all of us, I assure you.

However, the details are not, should not and will not be made public domain for the protection of all parties involved.

I also would ask that everyone remember that it is not always what you contribute but how you go about doing so.
That sometimes it is easy to become comfortable in here, and as such become complacent about the rules. When that happens, no one, no matter the content you contribute or your time involved on HoP, is above being reminded they must follow the rules or deal with the consequences, just like every other place in life.

I also ask that you remember that what you see here in the forums is not the extent of what we are involved in. The rules also apply to the use of PM's as well. That just because you see what is being said on the forums does *not* mean you see the full extent of any given situtation.

So, please use this as a cautionary tale to keep yourself in check and follow the rules.

Thank you.
Pele

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Pele

I also ask that you remember that what you see here in the forums is not the extent of what we are involved in. The rules also apply to the use of PM's as well. That just because you see what is being said on the forums does *not* mean you see the full extent of any given situtation.

This is quite intriguing to me, just out of curiosity, to what extent do the rules apply to the PM's? I understand that all are regulated (to waht degree I don't know). But I always saw the PM's as a way of privately communicating, and allowing you the freedom to say what necessarily shouldn't be said in a thread? I don't necessarily mean censored material. I just mean maybe opinions etc.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to what extent are the PM's policed?

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
PyroWill: I would guess to the extent of abusive PMs getting reported to the mods... However, when a problem occurred I did try to sort it out off the board - without success...

Stone: how could I have someone bumped for opposing my opinion? I'm not holding that power. Nobody but Malcolm holds it. So far had no reasons to question, i.e. trusted his decisions no? On a sidenote the "event" is almost a year old.

Pele: "However, the details are not, should not and will not be made public domain for the protection of all parties involved." PM on the way.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:
 Written by :FireTom

PyroWill: I would guess to the extent of abusive PMs getting reported to the mods...

Thats what I assume, I'm just asking if it's anymore than that? I would hope not, would be a bit too 'big brotherish' if it were.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :PyroWill

This is quite intriguing to me, just out of curiosity, to what extent do the rules apply to the PM's? I understand that all are regulated (to waht degree I don't know). But I always saw the PM's as a way of privately communicating, and allowing you the freedom to say what necessarily shouldn't be said in a thread? I don't necessarily mean censored material. I just mean maybe opinions etc.

When we receive a complaint of abuse through PM, then only those are up for review.
We do not randomly pull up PM's and check them, if that is what you are asking.

However, if you feel that what you say through any HoP medium is questionable, then perhaps using a non-HoP mode of communique might be a better option.

Pele

PyroWillGOLD Member
4,437 posts

Posted:

Written by :PyroWill

When we receive a complaint of abuse through PM, then only those are up for review.
We do not randomly pull up PM's and check them, if that is what you are asking.

However, if you feel that what you say through any HoP medium is questionable, then perhaps using a non-HoP mode of communique might be a better option.

No I like HoP. Thanks Pele you have answered my question smile. Shame about NYC, but rules are rules I guess.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
I find it all a bit hard to believe.

But mine is not to judge. I'll stick around.

-Mike

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
No problem, PyroWill.

And, just to clarify, all I meant by the second part of that was that if you think something you have to say to someone wouldn't meet HoP rules, and you still feel the need to say it, perhaps an email or alternate IM is a better choice. That's all. wink

Pele

mcpPLATINUM Member
Flying Water Muppet
5,276 posts

Posted:
Stirring? Yeah, kind of. I visited NYC and lets just say that his side of the story is VERY different.

In My own opinion, I would say that if the two can't get along, then banning the less useful member of the community would be a better idea. NYC has done more than anybody to help beginners on this board, (Well at least as much as anybody else.) and not many people have the continued patience for that. Also he's a teacher in real life, so his experience and advice is more valuable in that light. (I think)

I don't think you can please everyone, so sometimes you just have to state your opinion. And sometimes HOP doesn't allow that.

"the now legendary" - Kaskade
"the still legendary" - Kaskade

I spunked in my friend's aquarium and the fish ate it. I love all fish. Especially the pink ones. They are my bitches. - Anon.

roarfireSILVER Member
comfortably numb
2,676 posts

Posted:
 Written by :mcp

I would say that if the two can't get along, then banning the less useful member of the community would be a better idea.

No one on this site is 'less useful' than another!

.All things are beautiful if we take the time to look.

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
Know what? NYC is a friend of mine. I would ask, on his behalf (and he hasn't seen this thread) that we drop this discussion.

He's not around to read or respond to what anyone is saying and I doubt the mods are going to rescind their decision.

I see nothing useful that this conversation will accomplish other than to talk about two prominent members of this board when one of them is not around to participate/defend/appreciate.

-Mike

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:

Stirring? Yeah, kind of. I visited NYC and lets just say that his side of the story is VERY different.

I don't think you can please everyone, so sometimes you just have to state your opinion. And sometimes HOP doesn't allow that.

We aren't going to go into the reasons here as that's not fair on anyone. But as Pele has already said, the decision was taken and implemented with much regret. And it is a reviewable decision but public discussion is not going to help that as we already knew/know the positives NYC can bring to the Community.

Meg, HoP always allows people to express their opinion on the site as long as said opinion is not harmful/hurtful or expressed in a way which is harmful/hurtful. NYC lost sight of that and it was felt that long history and helping newbies not withstanding, no-one is above the rules.

And I'd like to re-iterate what Pele said and amplify on it to make it clear - the reason(s) were less about "NYC vs FireTom" than everyone seems to think.

George
EDITED_BY: georgemc (1208735615)

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:

In My own opinion, I would say that if the two can't get along, then banning the less useful member of the community would be a better idea. NYC has done more than anybody to help beginners on this board, (Well at least as much as anybody else.) and not many people have the continued patience for that. Also he's a teacher in real life, so his experience and advice is more valuable in that light. (I think)

Like I said, it wasn't only his dealings with FT but also others. Such actions by the mods/admins do not come lightly, nor do they come based solely on a verbal tug of war between two people. They also do not happen over night but take a very long course of time. NYC knows this, and has (allegedly) accepted responsibility for it.

There is not a single member on this site who is worth more than any other, and there is no one here beyond consequences. Of the banned members (NYC is not the only one), they all became complacent due to their comfort here. Not even remotely, no matter what a persons ego or comfort zone may tell him/her.

Pele

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by biggrinoc Lightning

Know what? NYC is a friend of mine. I would ask, on his behalf (and he hasn't seen this thread) that we drop this discussion.

He's not around to read or respond to what anyone is saying and I doubt the mods are going to rescind their decision.

I see nothing useful that this conversation will accomplish other than to talk about two prominent members of this board when one of them is not around to participate/defend/appreciate.

He is, or was until this happened, a friend of mine as well.

Yes, my being a mod on this actually lost me his friendship, something I do regret because I like him as a person tremendously.

However, no one is condemning him or calling him bad or any such. This is not a negative thread about anyone at all. The fact that it keeps being brought back to being about two people when it was about much more is disheartening and to me displays how limited the scope of view the members have to what is going is. Please keep that in mind.

This is not about two people.

This is about making choices and dealing with consequences.

If anything this thread should stay as a cautionary tale, but perhaps not open.

However, I do agree, this is not a converstaion that needs to be held and should *never* have been brought to public.

The fact that it was at all I find incredibly rude and disrespectful to the admins and mods from the outset.

As such. I will agree and simply close it.

Thanks Doc.
EDITED_BY: Pele (1208736269)

Pele