willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Dammit. I just had to turn down a contract to do club passing in a TV advertisement because of the ethical standards of the company who would have been employing me frown

I suppose this is half ineffectual rant at how annoying it is - this would have looked really good on my performance history, and half question:

How much would you have to disagree with the actions of a company before you refused to perform for them?

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

PyroWillGOLD Member
HoP's Barman. Trapped aged 6 months
4,437 posts

Posted:
I think holding morals are the most important thing, can you say which company? I dont think it's considered slander if its a web discussion wink. Don't feel too bad, if you feel strongly about that company then using your skills to help advertise it would have done so much worse.

Like I said morals are the most important thing, unless they are offering you a grand, then screw the morals wink

An eye for an eye only ends up making the whole world blind

Give a man a fish and he'll eat 4 a day hit a man with a brick and you can have all his fish and his wife

"Will's to pretty for prison" - Simian

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I do agree that morals are very important, but they'll just employ someone else for the ad so in the big picture it won't have really affected them, only you.

So unless you were concerned about being seen on said advert I'd have done it.

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
willworkforfoodjnr, good on you for having morals! We need more people like you in the world!! hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by :willworkforfoodjnr

How much would you have to disagree with the actions of a company before you refused to perform for them?

The company would prolly have to be undergoing some sort of genocide.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Way to go.. If you perform for a company whose ethics you disagree with, you're supporting them, directly or indirectly. Even if they do find somebody else to do it, should that company suddenly find themselves in the limelight for some reason, at least you won't ever have had any association with them.

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

MikeGinnyGOLD Member
HOP Mad Doctor
13,925 posts

Posted:
If you let your morals go for money or something good on your resume, then...

...what does that make you?

I'm proud of you. Nobody said that sticking to your guns was always easy.

-Mike

Certified Mad Doctor and HoP High Priest of Nutella

A buckuht n a hooze! -Valura

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
How much would I disagree before I didn't perform?

For me it would be how hungry I am and how late my rent is.

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
This is a really good read.
I'm struggling with a similar problem at the moment.

I have a booking for some events as part of the tourch relay in australia.
we are actually booked by our local government not the olympic people but it is still tricky.

Also we are being booked through a friends event management company which has just started up and is a really great small bussnius so this would be a great break for them.

Arg hard!!!

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Its been a really tricky one, but after a fair bit of conversation my gf has convinced me to do it. The thinking goes like this:
- If I don't do it someone else will, so my stubbornness affects nobody but me.
- My integrity remains if I don't take the payment for myself.
- The fee could be used to actually do something good

So, I'll take the audition and donate my fee (assuming I get it haha!) to a charity working somewhere affected by the company, not decided which yet.

Its a company owned by Cadburys, I'll let on more when I know whats happening biggrin

bluecatgeek, level 1
5,300 posts

Posted:
hug

i've been doing the same thing for the past few years, and in the long run you will find that you don't need to do every gig, and you will feel much the better for it, i can assure you smile

my list of companies not worked for is very satisfying now tongue

Holistic Spinner (I hope)

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :

I do agree that morals are very important, but they'll just employ someone else for the ad so in the big picture it won't have really affected them, only you.

A bit of a black-and-white way of looking at it.

Landmine manufactureres could use the same reasoning to justify their business, but, the fact remains, that most spinners would not work in a landmine factory, or appear in publicity that promoted them.

At the end of the day, if a person has serious moral objections to a companies actions, then they'll not personally contribute to promoting that company, even knowing full well that someone else will.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Well, just to add my 2ct: how would you have felt about yourself, accepting a gig from a company that you cannot support?

I think you did the right thing, cause ultimately you're only responsible for your own actions. Standing up for your own morals strengthens your backbone.

BIG MEGA - hug for being yourself smile

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
Thanks guys, I'm still swaying a little each way, I'm definately going to the audition anyway and finding out more about it - if they're offering loads of cash then I will be sorely tempted to take it and give the money to a good cause.

But then, Bill Hicks springs to mind: "If anyone here is in advertising, kill yourself" haha!

The Tea FairySILVER Member
old hand
853 posts

Posted:
Remember, there will always be other opportunities in life!

Idolized by Aurinoko

Take me disappearing through the smoke rings of my mind....

Bob Dylan

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :

Thanks guys, I'm still swaying a little each way, I'm definately going to the audition anyway and finding out more about it - if they're offering loads of cash then I will be sorely tempted to take it and give the money to a good cause.

But then, Bill Hicks springs to mind: "If anyone here is in advertising, kill yourself" haha!

You seem to be putting some serious thought into this decision and, taking on board the thoughts offered on this thread.

Any chance of you clarifying what exactly the problem with the ethical standards of the company are?

I ask because I think it would have a very direct bearing on any discussion of the rights and wrongs of doing promo for them- you'd probably get more relevant advice/suggestions.

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!