Holzy1SILVER Member

Posted:
okay so i recently discovered an EXCELLENT training tool - your own shadow! in the places of which i practice, being my room at the house and my local park, in both places if you line yourself up to a wall the right way, your shadow can be an excellent way to watch what your hands are doing without actually looking at your hands. it's kind of like watching someone else mimic your exact movements. it's been helping me a lot, it's how i learned and mastered the 5-beat weave and how i made my forward and reverse 3-beat weaves look perfect.

now if i could only get that damn behind the back weave..

any thoughts?

willworkforfoodjnrSILVER Member
Hunting robot foxes
1,046 posts

Posted:
That works well, and if the lightings right you can do it watching your reflection in a window too. Being indoors at night, or outside at dusk seems to be best for this.

Working hard to be a wandering hippie layabout. Ten years down, five to go!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Holzy

now if i could only get that damn behind the back weave..

any thoughts?

Mirror and your shadow smile

I use my shadow a lot when practicing, but i keep it on the fround, since im usually looking at the ground so i dont get hit in the head with my staff. It's nice cuz if something goes wrong just glace at the shadow and see where the staff is going to.

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
I got two 7 foot mirrors from an old wardrobe setup in my garden very useful for learning

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
I have mirrors in a studio as well, but that is mostly for winter use.

Shadows are great to check flow, pattern, timing, etc.
I find it doesn't help me so much with all my planes, just some, or hand positioning.

I feel, that for me, it works best for fans and staff, as well as some poi/flags (flags look awesome in shadow!). There are other tools it just doesn't seem to work as well with for me, like devil sticks.

I think it is an awesome training too, for sure.

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Pele

There are other tools it just doesn't seem to work as well with for me, like devil sticks.

with ds tho you dont really need the shadow, because your outside of whats going on, so you can see the whole thing.

whereas with poi your inside whats going on so you cant see the big picture which is where mirrors/shadows etc.. come in handy

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :simta

with ds tho you dont really need the shadow, because your outside of whats going on, so you can see the whole thing.

whereas with poi your inside whats going on so you cant see the big picture which is where mirrors/shadows etc.. come in handy

With DS, I like to see it from an outside perspective though. Sometimes things I think might look cool internally don't externally, if that makes sense?

Pele

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
yes i know what you mean, you want to see if from the audiences perspective.

but you generally are seeing it from the audiences perspective, just the opposite side

but i think its not very necessary with ds, whereas with poi it can be almost impossible to work out sometimes if what your doing is intime etc... without a mirror

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Yep, I figured that one out practicing outside and trying to keep from staring into the sun, I just wound up facing my shadow by default!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
I used to poi at the beach a lot, all through summer I was, I ended up with a really tanned back and a white stomach.

Now I refer to my tan as a poi topdeck tan! ^_^

hug

Kusanaginewbie
23 posts

Posted:
Shadows from streetlights work very well too. After dark, (and after most neighbors are in bed *g*) I practice in the driveway and I find that the shadow from the streetlight are actually more helpful bc they don't move, as opposed to the sun.

It's funny though: sometimes I see a head poking through the curtains in the nearby houses. Ppl don't think that I can see them but I spot them bc they are backlighted... That's when I take a "break", drink some water, etc... Usually, after 2-3 "breaks" in a row, they get bored and I can get on with my poi. weavesmiley

Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and it hold the universe together.

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Mirrors would be awesome, but who's got a whole studio at disposal?

Shadowing is an excellent trainer, but I found that to get satisfactory results one has to wait till sunset and find the right wall to play in front of.

Then again it's an excellent training to keep the (wall)planes too.... shadow-master, I'm all for it! bounce2

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
Today I decided to brush off my clubs and work on brushing up my skills with them. Shadowing and I also found my sliding glass door (standing outside facing inside) helped those so much, because lines are soooooo important in club-bing. It's the first time I've thought to use the sliding glass door and it was awesome.

M_N_S "poi topdeck tan". I like it, it's cute. lol

Pele

feebmember
72 posts

Posted:
yeah i often use shadows to help me, its so good when you are putting moves together and you can see how well it flows.

i like very much how the sun makes you taller and longer as the day wears on

much fun!

pyromania pixie power!

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Sliding doors work nicely.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

oliSILVER Member
not with cactus
2,052 posts

Posted:
the best thing is your shadow cast by a full moon in a dark field somewhere... peace

Me train running low on soul coal
They push+pull tactics are driving me loco
They shouldn't do that no no no

Silk_the_ElfGOLD Member
37 posts

Posted:
I practice on the little deck out the kitchen door. I use the sliding glass door and it works well when it's brighter outside than it is inside. I like to turn off the kitchen lights while I'm out there, and once it gets TOO dark outside I turn on my glowpoi.