slan45SILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Hey everyone,

Got my sock poi from HOP in october of 07, but had been practicing for a year or two off and on before hand. This is my first vid. I've never known the names of any of the moves I do (besides the hyperloop) so any feedback is much appreciated.

I'm no beginner, but I wouldn't call myself super advanced either...what do you think?

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=561841523028&ref=nf

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Funky biggrin
Interesting bendy/twisty style - it's refreshing to see someone not standing up straight with their arms straight out everyonce in a while ubblol

Nice location too - in terms of video, i'd add some music.
But yeah - nice first vid clap

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

slan45SILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Thanks! I'll take funky...I've never really 'shown' my moves to anyone 'in the know' so I appreciate the comment a lot. Here's another vid I took yesterday, no music (I'll add some later) but I got more comfortable in front of the camera and practiced a little longer this time before starting to film. Hope you enjoy!

More bendy/twisty goodness:

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=562099486068&subj=10701829
EDITED_BY: slan45 (1207952593)

Mother_Natures_SonSILVER Member
Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Just a question, do you think about where you're going to before you go there? Sometimes when you turn, you come out 90 degrees from where you were, thats fine if you intended that, but theres something about the way I function, i just can't let myself do that!

I do enjoy the movement. Keep doing that, but you could do a lot better if you didnt fall into complacency so much, its fun to get lost in the spin, but don't let your spinning get lost in all that, kinda get lost in the poi, rather than the movement... I dunno. Were you after some sort of constructive criticism?

hug

slan45SILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Always looking for constructive criticism! I'm not exactly sure what you meant with the 90 degrees thing. If you're asking if my turning is intentional, then yes. I'd like to know what you meant about falling into complacency as well.

Anything good/bad about my style that will help me learn is much appreciated. Thanks for watching!

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Sometimes your timing falls out, but I don't think its because your timing sucks, I think its because you just stop paying attention, hit pause every now and then and you'll see it.. And the 90 degrees thing, you do it in the first 4 seconds of the second vid.. if you intended to turn to that exact spot, thats fine, but if you didn't, you probably wanted to go to either 180 degrees or 360, so it looks more intentional... It makes it look a bit more sloppy and unintentional since you just spin and then come out and it looks like you just come out wherever you come out.

hug

slan45SILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Gotcha, thanks for the advice! I'll take a closer look at the vid and try and figure out how I can fix it for the next one weavesmiley

Rampant whirler.
2,418 posts

Posted:
Looking forward to the next one. ^_^

hug