GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
I have found these Poi for sale for £35.

Are they the 'Isis poi' that i have heard good things about?

Also are the cords, connections and handles good bad or ugly for the price

https://a84.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/116/l_58cd0f910a0cfc88b4f14ea2f50f55cb.jpg

Thanks

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
They look really fun, I've never heard of Isis poi. But they look like they'll unravel at the end.

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
Actually looks alot like a leighter Isis. Probably made that way because it's ball-chain. I love the Salza Isis poi.

The Isis uses a Scoubido Circle Stitch method if you wanna try it youself:

https://www.scoubiguide.co.uk/circle.html

This is only the basic way to do it. From my understanding most other people have another technique the end of the stitch.
EDITED_BY: Mireneye (1207815166)

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
The Isis do start off as a Round/Circle Stitch, but once you have achieved the length you want, flip it upside down and continue the same stitch, going back around the original portion. It gives it a much broader body and is known as the Barrel Stitch.

the ones in the picture above look to be the more basic Circle Stitch, which makes it a lighter, thinner version of the Isis poi. Its still a pretty heavy wick head though, and I would hesitate on trusting ball chain with it. Especially if you like airwraps and are aggressive with stall reversals and other moves that put sudden strain on the chain.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

MireneyeSILVER Member
enthusiast
276 posts

Posted:
I personally never recommend ball-chain at all.
Thanks for the clarity squid.

GeezaGOLD Member
addict
694 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rellizate

Yes they are isis poi, but they're very small ones and don't look all that good. To be honest though, they look better than the Salza ones. Go with FCE.

What is FCE?

thanks all

squidBRONZE Member
sanguine
382 posts

Posted:
Full Capacity Entertainment. From what the images there imply, I think its fire products actually made by Rellizate.

"to a man whose only tool is a hammer, the whole world looks like a nail." Abraham Maslow

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
they look great..

I guess that - if the connections are somewhat "lose" - they should give a great bright flame.

BTW ballchain is coming in different strengths.

(*toggles*)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
They do not look like Isis poi, which have a more spiral look to the wicking knot and more 'airspace' in between the kevlar. Makes them huge when they burn. These look thinner in relation to their length as well as the direction of the knot being more 'vertical'. Also Isis poi do not have a metal loop at the top... below the swivel link, a chain goes right into and loops all the way through the wicking which makes them very secure.

Here's a link to a picture on the Salza website

I bought mine directly from the Salza guys at an EJC and they did not recommend ball chain but fully welded link chain. Proper Isis poi are really heavy when loaded with fuel. aaah I just saw they say that on the website too. Salza chain is quite light which is good for momentum as it allows the weight of the swing to be at the end. I tried some heavier chain and the overall weight became a bit tiring with the very very long burn. Also I only dip them for a few secs or the burn goes on for a week!

The only problem I found with the Isis was the rather stiff nylon handles: I found the weight of the poi and the sharpish edge of the nylon blistered/cut my fingers. Then the handles got singed/melted in a tangle so I replaced them with HoP leather single loop. Much nicer.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

firestartedGOLD Member
28 posts

Posted:
I have a set of burnt out Salza Isis heads and I also bought some of their fire-snakes.

The wick and the quality of the heads is great, however I really think their chains and handles are horrible.

The welding on the links is sloppy, I've had little cuts on my wrists using them unlit, practicing spiral wraps. After maybe 2 weeks of use the nylon handles ripped down the stitching.

I changed the chains to HoP 8mm oval links with the brass swivels and leather handles. I had that set up left over from from some HoP Monkey fists that I'd burnt out and they made the Isis heads so much better.

I've been using the Isis heads vigorously since last December and they have frayed very badly from where the quicklink joins the chain at the top ofthe head.

Now it looks really nice the way they've flayed apart, and I perform quite alot so I can afford to replace them, I do punish my poi by using them alot, but I dip right after each burn (yada yada) but €100 for 4/5 months for a set of heads isn't worth it imo.

I'm buying HoP 90mm Monkeys next.

All in all the Salza heads are better than most, the parts are bad. Mix and match HoP parts and Salza heads and you'll have sweet poi.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
I don't use mine that much, partly cos they are just so darn BIG for community/backyard stuff... so I expect they will last forever... but I am also just waiting on delivery of some yummy HoP monkey fists for 'common or garden' usage smile

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
Yay the yummy HoP poi just arrived. By lightning post! ow to get some better chains....

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
This is a neat nick off another HoP thread.

overacidGOLD Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Hi everyone, Just my 2c:

I bought the Isis poi around a month ago and recently had my first burn with them....
Ok, my first fire spin with the Isis poi, was, um, interesting.

They are a lot heavier with the fuel in them, obviously, which wasn't a problem. But while i was spinning - towards the end, while attempting to spin them out with a fast spin, one of the handles came unstitched and the poi flew off in one direction :shock: frown - luckily away from the crowd.

The spin was good, and i landed anti spin stuff pretty smoothly, but I wasn't expecting this to happen in a million years so i was a bit disappointed. I've just ordered some leather single loop handles from homeofpoi and replace the handles with stronger ones as i don't want this to happen again.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I've also ordered a Pair of 3mm NPS TWIST OVAL chain to use as a replacement chain, as the black one can be a bit rough on your hands when doing short chain tricks.

All in all, i love the Isis heads, they are so sexy, but the handles are a no-no and chains, well they are strong enough, but that's up to you.

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
 Written by :firestarted

I have a set of burnt out Salza Isis heads and I also bought some of their fire-snakes.

The wick and the quality of the heads is great, however I really think their chains and handles are horrible.

The welding on the links is sloppy, I've had little cuts on my wrists using them unlit, practicing spiral wraps. After maybe 2 weeks of use the nylon handles ripped down the stitching.

I changed the chains to HoP 8mm oval links with the brass swivels and leather handles. I had that set up left over from from some HoP Monkey fists that I'd burnt out and they made the Isis heads so much better.

I've been using the Isis heads vigorously since last December and they have frayed very badly from where the quicklink joins the chain at the top ofthe head.

Now it looks really nice the way they've flayed apart, and I perform quite alot so I can afford to replace them, I do punish my poi by using them alot, but I dip right after each burn (yada yada) but €100 for 4/5 months for a set of heads isn't worth it imo.

I'm buying HoP 90mm Monkeys next.

All in all the Salza heads are better than most, the parts are bad. Mix and match HoP parts and Salza heads and you'll have sweet poi.

So would you say they are more appropriate/cost efficient for casual spinners/occassional performers vs. performers who perform 5 days a week?

Thanks!

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK