LOCfanSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
I recently wrote an article for Associated Content, entitled "Playing with Fire - The Art of Poi." I'm not sure if I'm putting this in the right place, but I'd appreciate if you guys took a look, and let me know what you think. I'm especially interested in the psychology of the matter, and what reasons I may have missed.

Playing with Fire - the Art of Poi

Thanks!

EDITED_BY: LOCfan (1207584774)

.: Sanity is calming, but madness is more interesting :.
~Russell

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Looks pretty good! If I were to add anything, it would be to elaborate on the "interconnectivity" that you mentioned. Like dancing to live drums, the musicians and performers don't just interact; the rhythms feed on one another, rising and falling in the same pattern followed by everything in life - from the sun's path through the day, to the season's evolution through the year, to the very breaths of the audience. That's what gives it life; it isn't abstract, like poetry, or distant, like a painting, but it surrounds you and constantly threatens to consume you in a very real way. Your performance can be peaceful, or exciting, inspiring or amusing, but it will never be the same as the last one.

Another thing you might mention is that unlike some arts, like the theater, you don't necessarily need an audience foe poi to be fulfilling, perhaps moreso than other toys. Even if it's just you, the fire, and the sea of stars overhead, you can't ask for more.

Then again, I'm sure everybody has his own reason for spinning. But you paint a nice picture - hopefully it will lead curious minds to start playing with fire.. smile

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

LOCfanSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
Looking back, I do wish I would have elaborated that point. There is so much to be said about that feeling, and it definitely strikes home when you hear someone nail it (kind of like you just did wow Mind if I quote you next time?). And anytime I can encourage someone towards such a transcendental experience as the art of fire spinning, I feel like I've accomplished something.

By the way, thanks for the critique smile

~Russell

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
I quite enjoyed that, I'm glad you posted it.

Taking Mucky's initiative for other related elements to spinning, I would consider talking about the effects of dancing in general (physically, mentally, and indeed affecting stress levels and emotions) and how fire amplifies and changes these effects.

When I'm telling people the historical roots of poi, I also like to point out differences in traditional and modern poi, that the new generations of fire dancing take influence from rave culture and even circus acts.

I like that you attacked "the psychology of fire spinners," and I giggled because I think any of us just would sum it up as "we're just nuts."

I'm really interested in reading the Fessler article you referred to, where can I find it? I mean, I'll google it when I'm done here, but in case it's an academic paper I thought I'd ask anyway.

And I love the quotation (or testimonial) you used for the end.

clap

149 posts

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Cool article

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

Fine_Rabid_DogInternet Hate Machine
10,530 posts

Posted:
Moved to Social Discussion for better input smile

The existance of flamethrowers says that someone, somewhere, at sometime said "I need to set that thing on fire, but it's too far away."

LOCfanSILVER Member
14 posts

Posted:
Thanks, Fine. I must admit that I searched in vain for a few minutes.

Katie, I think I may write a sequel, because that is another topic that I neglected to cover thoroughly enough. I'd have to do some more research on the historical roots of poi and the evolution of the art, but I'm sure it'd be a rewarding bit of study.

The article that Fessler wrote seems to be geared more towards the psychology of children and their relation to fire, but I think it is still very relevant no matter what age you are. That's another interesting thing - why are some people drawn to fire more than others? I asked my boyfriend at one point why he doesn't try spinning. He replied, "I'm scared of fire." I'd guess that this must be the case for some people, but surely there are other reasons?

~Russell

GeoffonTour04SILVER Member
enthusiast
360 posts

Posted:
nicely written, I really need to get my fire toys out more often (been using glow stuff too much)

149 posts

Posted:
A friend of mine is studying anthropology in college, and she's an avid spinner as well, I passed it along to her and I'm sure she's going to be really interested in it. I agree it doesn't relate directly with spinning, except maybe in the area of innate interest. I've taught a lot of new spinners, and lots of them drop off and stop doing it, and I feel like they don't "get it," they stop because they don't have the NEED to do it once they've discovered it, like lots of us do. I'd be really interested in a sequel or follow up article.