Forums > Meet Others > Poi Spinner to Australia

Login/Join to Participate

TellanBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Maybe a little early, but I gotta start saving money, haha.

So, this is the deal, I´m from Mexico and am planning to go to Australia by the end of the year, so, I´m looking for a place, hostels, any willing "bed sharers" or something. I thought it´d be easier if I asked directly if ye any know where can I look up this kinda info.

Anything helps, my target is Sydney, but maybe you know if there´s a city more suitable to meeting a good Poi community or anything.

I´d very much appreciate it if you could help with this, greetings!

So cliché, but so true, fire dancing is not a hobbie, is my passion.

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
There is a Sydney community, but they're not very active on Home of Poi.

You can find communities in Brisbane, Perth and Adelaide, but the best is in Melbourne, because that's my community hehe

When will you be here? Because there's a festival on in Adelaide called Common Ground on there in October.
[Old link]

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

BrennPLATINUM Member
Will carpal your tunnel in a minute.
3,286 posts

Posted:
Tella,

I know of a group in Sydney but as Rouge said they aren't very active on Home of Poi. Lovely folk though! I can also speak highly for the Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane fire twirler presence.

PM me if you want details smile

hug

ॐ

Owner of burningoftheclavey smile
Owned by Lost83spy

TellanBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Hey, thanks mates, I´ll PM both of ye, and Rouge, Ima going in december, moreless.

GnorBRONZE Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
5,814 posts

Posted:
Perf..come to Perth.
Or go to Melburp wink

Is it the Truth?
Is it Fair to all concerned?
Will it build Goodwill and Better Friendships?
Will it be Beneficial to all concerned?

Im in a lonely battle with the world with a fish to match the chip on my shoulder. Gnu in Binnu in a cnu

TellanBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Ok, to Perth... the thing is I need to know where can I find costs and stuff, you know, on the net. =P

But thanks for the invite... maybe when I get there I´ll visit more than one city, seeing that lready 3 of you have answered. I´d rather love meetin y´all.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
If you are in the country at christmas time, the correct answer is Woodford festival. Just north of Brisbane. 6 days of excellent amazing multi-arts and music and circus and EVERYTHING really in beautiful land with great people. I run a community circus/spinny world there called CIrcadia. It's free to attend if you work 5 hours a day and it rocks. and its not dear even if you pay so you can just have fun all day. DO IT this is not an ordinary event.

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

TellanBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Aye, great tip mate, what date is it? before 24th (December) or after? I´d love if it were after... y´know, for fmaily and all... but if its before, then you´ll have to take me in the party, lol.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Should be after- starts 26th-28th-ish I believe- I went last year as a set-up volunteer, and had a thoroughly splendid time!

Go, if you possibly can! biggrin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

TellanBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Great, from what I see, there´s a lot of aplication to do for Int. artists... so, I wonder, if I go as a visitor, I can perform too or what? Cause I´ve got the intention to go there(australia) to work as a performer and to have fun of course, hahaha. So, what do you recommend, should I work in the fest or buy my ticket and work somewhere else? hehehe.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
What sort of performance do you do? You could try applying as a performer, but it is very hard to get a spot. There are lots of volunteer jobs that give you a ticket in return for 5 hours a day work though; applications for them open in August; jobs like working in bars or at the gates or cleaning or etc. Or like Hamamelis did, helping set it up beforehand.

In the area I run, we have some have cabarets (fire and circus) where people who do our workshops can perform a spot too, but that is not a paid thing.

TellanBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Meself am a Poi and staff performer. Me mates, some guys who might go with me, do staff, hula, poi, angel wings, fans, and a whole lot of sorts.

The question is, may we perform independently, inside the festival? ANd uh... do ye know how the ticket will cost? or the dates of it?

´Cause I´ve got it checked out and I´ll be there between Dec. 1st and December 5th.

Anyway mates, I´ll update things on how, when or how I´ll be there so we can trade info easily.

Thanks for the good ideas and propositions so far.

newgabeSILVER Member
4,030 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Tellan

The question is, may we perform independently, inside the festival?
ANd uh... do ye know how the ticket will cost? or the dates of it?
´Cause I´ve got it checked out and I´ll be there between Dec. 1st and December 5th.

I run the fire and community circus space. Every night we have cabarets where people can perform; for safety reasons we check their skills before we say 'use our fuel and light up!' But its really fun and some great spinners come.

Woodford runs between Christmas and New Year: Tickets are cheaper if you buy them online in advance(about $350 for 6 days: totally worth it, considering a lot of basic raves and rock type events will charge $70- 100 per day for nothing like as much.) There is a lot of info about last year's program on the website: www.woodfordfolkfestival.com
This year's will be released till October.

TellanBRONZE Member
stranger
8 posts

Posted:
Well, thanks a lot for the details. $350 is a ver yreasonable price for 6 days of party with fellow spinners and others.

keyarghahPLATINUM Member
Woodford is Goodford..!
241 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Brenn

Tella,

I know of a group in Sydney but as Rouge said they aren't very active on Home of Poi. Lovely folk though!

PM me if you want details smile

hug

HEY HEY HEY hold on here a second people. syd crew are HEAPS active on HoP! at least the Ciara syd crew are!
id like to propose that ciara acts as sydney liason for all my loverlies who cant figure out computerers.. ubblol

SYDNEY - questions? comments? ask me about jesus. i mean Sydney.
!!

'FREE HUGGIES!!'