LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Signed on with Oxfam so get to go for free. My first time so should be fun. Anyone else coming? The rumour line-up seems pretty good for trip-hop fans. Heard the Stone Circle is highly recommended for fire-spinning. :P

Why let your body be a temple? When it can be a theme park?

Wii Console Number: 3294 0297 7824 7498

=Flashpoint=SILVER Member
Pasta of Muppets
2,722 posts

Posted:
Fabulous place, great festy, too skint to go this year frown

ohmygodlaserbeamspewpewpew!
ubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmileubbrollsmile

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Jay-Z w....t....f....?!

Anyway, not for me this year.

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

Wild ChildSILVER Member
Star Trekker
1,733 posts

Posted:
Me neither - heard unsettling/unhappy things from last year about tent raids etc, then Mr Eavis announced afterwards he didn't want aging hippies going anymore, now the line-up is more ... as you say Durbs WTF.

Apparantly registrations for tix are down by a 1/3 this year. Good. Serves 'em right. Glastonbury has been a successful hippy festie for decades and managed to absorb growing crowds and changes in musical styles BECAUSE of that, not inspite of it. No hippies = aggravation and they'll learn that too late. If they want a 5-day V festival they can keep it.

Diatribe over....

Having said that, Lowan, you'll have a wonderful time - it really is awesome biggrin

'The last rays of crimson on the spindle tree as the cerise fruit splits and reveals its orange seeds in a gloriously clashing colour scheme no-one would ever dare to wear'
Euonymous Europeus

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Wild Child

Me neither - heard unsettling/unhappy things from last year about tent raids etc, then Mr Eavis announced afterwards he didn't want aging hippies going anymore, now the line-up is more ... as you say Durbs WTF.

Apparantly registrations for tix are down by a 1/3 this year. Good. Serves 'em right. Glastonbury has been a successful hippy festie for decades and managed to absorb growing crowds and changes in musical styles BECAUSE of that, not inspite of it. No hippies = aggravation and they'll learn that too late. If they want a 5-day V festival they can keep it.

Diatribe over....

Having said that, Lowan, you'll have a wonderful time - it really is awesome biggrin

Yeah, I heard Glastonbury has been morphing into a massive commercial monster in recent years. I just hope that its nothing like Leeds. Jesus Christ, that festival was depressing on many levels! Either way, I just want to experience what everyone have been hyping on about.

FireNixBRONZE Member
old hand
904 posts

Posted:
Theres MANY different aspects to Glasters - I think ive done 9 in total and for sure things have changed - funny how thats a constant thing in life - about the only thing that is constant in life!
I may not be able to make it this year, as I am residing in NZ - but im sure you'll have fun iof youve never been before - and im sure you'll have fun if you have been before!!
It is an amazing temporary city and although its more commercial nature is prevalent - its a place and festival like no other ive been a part of
Have fun and hope it doesnt rain.....again!!!
Peas

Feel the Flame
Phirenix

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
The general feeling is that I am jumping on the boat as its about to go out of fashion. Oh well, might as well enjoy it for what it is.

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
I hate to say it but....

Over priced
Over rated
To big
Full of Crime
Full of mud
Money making sponsorship/corporate festival

Stick to the smaller ones in my opinion

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
There really is very little crime at glastonbury since the introduction of the wall smile

IMO - everyone should go to at least one Glastonbury biggrin

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
Jonny, I have to disagree with you. I've been to Glasto 4 times, and I was robbed twice. Once was from the tent while we were asleep inside it. The old guy next to us had had his meds nicked and he had to go home, a guy a few tents down had woken up as they were robbing his tent and they beat the crap out of him with a baseball bat.
I'm agreeing with Si. It is FAR too big now and far too corporate. I do love Glasto but I don't think I would ever go again.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

sichaineyBRONZE Member
enthusiast
242 posts

Posted:
This is what you want my friend!!

[url=https://www.flamefireshows.com/southernlights2008.html]

Shamless plug!!! sorry rolleyes
EDITED_BY: sichainey (1207680798)

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
Jo, when was the last time you went there? smile

Did they have the wall up and around to protect everyone? umm

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
i reckons if you have never been you should go at least once. even tho its prob got loads more crappy from when i went 4yrs ago, its still gonna be pretty great.

the nights at glasto generally wandering about are amazing

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
yeah the wall was up the first time I went. I went in 98, 99, 2000(it wasn't actually on then it was just a hippy field, it was awesome) and I went 2001 and 2002.
You get idiots at all festivals though, not just Glasto.

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
In which case I stand corrected smile

I agree with Simta about walking around at night - it really is awesome smile

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
see thats what makes glasto special for me, the days are cool, and you see all the acts etc...

but the nights are so much better. its when those people who think festivals are just places to see lots of bands are all sound asleep, and everyone else is out to play

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

LoewanBRONZE Member
and behold!
464 posts

Posted:
Well, I have been to Carling Leeds festival so I am prepared for the worse. In terms of crime, I will be camping in Oxfam own camp site and only Oxfam stewards can get in so that should trim the crime a little. Either way, I will try and be careful. Thanks for the advices! biggrin

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
The Leeds festival isnt a festival when compared to Glastonbury biggrin

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
ditto

Glastonbury is a FESTIVAL, the Carling Leeds and Reading fests are merely a gathering of people who like loud music sitting in a pit of litter compared to Glasto.

UCOFSILVER Member
15,417 posts

Posted:
ditto

KnoxiousGOLD Member
420 posts

Posted:
Happy to say FlameOz will be performing a 7 person show in the Big Top this year.
2 x Fri, 2 x Sat and 1 x Sun. Please come down and make some noise biggrin

LostSurferSILVER Member
I'd be in trouble if I had to eat an antelope now
278 posts

Posted:
wow, i haven't posted in aaaaages!

i'll be there this year, working doing stewardy stuff up in the stone circle, separate from oxfam though. i've been to a few and can see most points of view. i'm only going this year as I'm working, but i do agree glastonbury has to be experienced once. the nights are the best, and i always (somehow) bump into someone I haven't seen in ages despite the size of the place.

Lowen, you'll have a blast i'm sure, i'm just desperate for a dry year! please! smile

"Everything in moderation. Even moderation itself. From this it follows that you must, from time to time, have excess. And this is going to be one of those occasions"