Page:
mellowtomBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
ive been playing with the staff and double staff for about 3 months and I just started on poi yesterday. I must say poi hurts a lot more then staff! ive got brusies everywhere, ive been hit in the face 1,000,000 times, and winded myself by an unfortunate hit in between the legs redface - still i can see an addiction forming!!
Has anybody got any funny/ painful injurys stories to share? It might inspire me to perserve and learn this bloody 3 beat weave backwards
Peace,
Tom

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
HoP mage and keeper of the fireballs
1,965 posts

Posted:
Something that I read here on HoP was

"if you haven't hit yourself in the balls for a while then your not learning"

I of course have hit myself and I know first hand of the man pain that poi can inflict.

Other than that you can exspect a multitude of minor burns, brands and bruises.

On a more amusing note I have set myself on fire 3 times
1 the inside of my jacket (I was drunk)
2 my bandanna (I was also drunk)
3 my beard (firebreathing accident with a new fuel, while drunk)

The lesson that I have learn't is that I should be more carefull while intoxicated.

Luckily I escaped all 3 incidents with no real harm and while I do laugh about it nowadays I did take a serious fire warning from it and now I excersize due caution.

May my balls of fire set your balls on fire devil

fs180newbie
3 posts

Posted:
Yeah, getting hit in the balls.. damn.. fell down to my knees way to many times frown

what poi are you using?

mellowtomBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
hmm drink twirling is a hobby of mine... more deadly than i thought....
im using the glow poi at least untill my rope poi rocks up in the post!!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
rope poi are different coz they are rope and not a 'solid' object so rather than a dull ache you'll get a sharp sting kinda like a whip.

Live_in_a_spinBRONZE Member
Dude where's my Poi?
383 posts

Posted:
Iv hit myself in the face hard enough to draw blood twice now. And only last week whilst spining into a btb hyperloop i hit myself in the left kneecap hard enought to pop it out.
Mind you i do kinda have a dodgy knee that seems to like to pop periodicly anyway.

Live life in a spin!!!
but if you fall don't come crying to me!!!

mellowtomBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
 Written by :DarkFyre

you'll get a sharp sting kinda like a whip.

excellent...... wmhahahahaha
 Written by :Live_in_a_spin

Iv hit myself in the face hard enough to draw blood twice now. And only last week whilst spining into a btb hyperloop i hit myself in the left kneecap hard enought to pop it out.
Mind you i do kinda have a dodgy knee that seems to like to pop periodicly anyway.

oh man thats impressive!! and i thought being covered in bruises was fun!

fireflyfaeriejourneyman
73 posts

Posted:
i keep hitting my nose ¬_¬

DeempjeSILVER Member
110 posts

Posted:
I keep hitting my glasses, and I already went to the optrician twice to get them fixed :P

Well how about that...

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
do it slower

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

ImbalanceGOLD Member
not different, just not the same
263 posts

Posted:
um..

Step 1: Remove glasses
Step 2: spin!

;-)

I once learned every move that there was,
Every style, Every technique.
Then I woke up, and forgot it all,
So now I struggle to dream.

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
Glowies are friggin LETHAL things. Sure, I split my eyebrow and all sorts. Go slower, concentrate on PLANES not SPEED and you will rarely get hit.

But the hit in the balls thing I simply do not understand. In 6 years or so spinnying poi I have never ever not even once hit myself in the fanny. What the hell are people doing to get them going upwards between the legs? Or are these extra endowed people, hung like bulls as they say?

*boasting prompt*

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
Meh, it happens is all. Depending on the move, I have noticed that bean bags in a butterfly tend to just drop when they collide. And considering that that is usually right in front of you....

Otherwise I would imagine poor plane control is a prime factor.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Love can hurt too - you stop loving for that reason?

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

RUMYDADDYnewbie
7 posts

Posted:
I have been spinning for about 3 months now! Yes these things do hurt, I have accumulated many bruises and even a bloody nose! wink I think learning to Box was easier! But it is all worth it when you learn it! I had a hard time learning the Reverse 3 beat weave as well! I got a little tid bit from a friend and it helped wonderfully! He told me while you are doing the Forward just turn your body around 180 degrees. It really worked! I think that poi spinning is for massacists! You have to like pain to continue and love pain to become a great spinner!devil

Smooches
RU?

Why Should I be afraid of dragons? Sure they are big and can breathe fire... But so can I! ubbrollsmile

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
Poi hurt sure, But what I tell everyone I teach is:

Bruises mean you learned something. You learned you are doing something wrong, even if slightly. So thank all you bruises for helping you find the right way spin. Without them you'd still be an audience member.

Gotta tell ya though, this is just my opinion, but I find Staff (especially contact) to be more painful than poi. Sure I got hit in the balls many a time and had bruised calves, arms, chest etc with poi, but those don't usually hurt for long. Whack the tip or your finger or bruise the back of your hand, hit yourself in the head (especially if wearing glasses) with a heavy contact staff and be in pain for a couple days.... thats worse. I've hurt myself more with staff than I ever did with Poi.

slan45SILVER Member
12 posts

Posted:
Its a rite of passage. Gotta nail yurself in the nuts at least twice before each advancement. It forces you to let go eventually and stop worrying about it. The more you practice, the more effortless it becomes. (But you'll still nail yurself in the nuts on occasion).

BAS231187GOLD Member
20 posts

Posted:
im sure guys tend to hit themselfs in the crotch more often than women. it could be due to a few reasons

1. the guys are just crap
2.the guys complain more so people take more notice (rightly so)
3.there is a small amount of extra gravity and a larger target due to our huge cahonas wink making collision more likely

hehe. altho i agree your probably not learning anything if you arnt getting any bruises.

best screw up iv seen is when a good mate was first learning poi. he managed to hit himself in the nuts so hard he went in to the fetal position befor hitting the floor. witch some how moved his head in to the fireing line of the second poi. i feel bad about giving him my monkey fists to try so it hurt so much more ubblol

I refuse to tip toe threw live only to arrive safely at death

MuckySILVER Member
Rum-Swilling Combustioneer
227 posts

Posted:
Well, I did chucks and 3-section staff (and rope-dart, but only in a sparring context) before I ever picked up my first poi, so I'm a long familiar with the esteemed art of cudgeling your own head! I haven't been spinning poi long enough to earn any real war stories, but I did manage to dislocate my shoulder with an immensely heavy set of nunchaku - these were battle-grade sticks, 14" cocobolo each, and waay heavier than the usual fare. 'Nother time I decided to get fancy and spin one set of chucks alongside my brother's cheap spiked flail... Then I forgot which hand held the crazy ball of spikes... Shortly after I decided to give my right shoulder medical leave. ubbloco

But I agree with everybody that pain is nature's way of teaching you to be careful!

Bouncing Baby Pipe!

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
Yeah, it hurts. I kind of enjoy assembling the list of injuries and burns, it's something people ask about (morbid curiosity) and it makes you look like a rockstar to say offhandedly, Yeah, I caught myself on fire the other night... burned x-body-part.
In my experience, I caught my chest on fire during a performance (hooray flaming boobies!), cracked myself squarely on the top of my head, and gave myself pretty sweet little crescent-shaped scars on the inside of my upper arms from doing arm wraps without sleeves on.

ImbalanceGOLD Member
263 posts

Posted:
yeah, sometimes the injuries work out for bragging purposes... in my case however thats pretty rare. I'll never forget my first actual injury with Poi.

When I first picked up fire poi (was a glowstringer more or less before) I loved it. Couldn't get enough of it, often did things that were just out of my reach due to the adrenaline of the fire. There was an event here called CarnEvil (halloween deal) that all my friends were part of. I went there to spin and borrowed my friends long chain monkey fist. Everything was going fine, didn't care for the extra length but I made it work. I did a bth butterfly and like a moron looked up, and just as I did the poi hit each other and it was flaming monkey fist directly in the eye. Didn't burn anything, just put em out and walked off. About 10 minutes later a friend turns to me and goes "OH MY GOD! What happened to your EYE!?!?!?! Unknown to me the bruise I thought I had on my eye socket was slowly swelling into a giant knot, a min later I could see it with the damaged eye. Was totally gross.

Swelling went down by morning thanks to some ice. It didn't get a lot of attention thanks to the whole halloween party and everyone thinking i just had REALLY good makeup lol. The really messed up part is 3 days later I had a job interview and had to explain to them how I got the black eye... that was hilarious. Got the job though lol.

CaffeinatedKatieGOLD Member
Teacher, Dancer, Artist, and General Smartass
149 posts

Posted:
A job interview with a black eye from poi? AWESOME. I burned my eyelashes off once, but nothing nearly so brutal.

mellowtomBRONZE Member
17 posts

Posted:
thats a great story!! hey i finaly got my first staff injury, i was doing the windmill quite fast and i hit my achillies tendon and i cut my heel with the metal end of the staff! still i think poi hurts more with the ball hitting and black eye creating, glasses smashing, eyebrow splitting, knee cap popping, face bleeding, boob burning, upper arm scarring and eyebrow burning - but hey its all a part of the fun!!

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
I generaly mange to avoid black eyes but my nose usually cops that one as punishment for being too cocky.

BurdaASILVER Member
Sacrebleu
377 posts

Posted:
My ears seem to get hit a lot.. it could be a lot worse, but a good firm shot to the ear can really hurt momentarily.. like a stubbed toe on the side of your head.

Poi(poi~y) n. : A Hawaiian food made from the tuber of the taro that is cooked, pounded to a paste, and fermented.
- part owner of Wooktastic™ ©

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
The least amusing pain is when you hit your funny bone (everybody else will find it hilarious tho)

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I've not really had any really good ones since just after I started, when I managed to very nearly knock myself out with the poi of death (TM) a staffer friend made for his girlfriend with solid steel cores, eek doing an overhead butterfly, w. collision. They were unlit

I also set my hat on fire, not long after.. which was mainly funny due to the girl who had been teaching me's reaction.. she very politely tapped me on the shoulder, and said 'Um, excuse me, but do you know your hat's on fire?' before putting it out for me biggrin

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

DarkFyreBRONZE Member
1,965 posts

Posted:
Well it's better than some stranger shouting "your on fire" and thinking that they are being a smart arse.

spinningstarletSILVER Member
enthusiast
271 posts

Posted:
Hitting myself in any new piercing is agony... i've really not had any that have been too bad. When i first started i had bruises all over. Whenever anyone asked i told them that my other half had been beating me. Scarily no-one beleived me and i had to tell the truth....:)

astonSILVER Member
Unofficial Chairperson of Squirrel Defense League
4,061 posts

Posted:
I seem to have avoided all this....

Well, got one burn on my back, but I have no idea how that happened. I mean, I know my shirt caught fire, but exactly why I have no idea. It was close fitting and all I did was a hip-reel.

'We're all mad here. I'm mad, you're mad." [said the Cat.]
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "Or you wouldn't have come here."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures In Wonderland

Talon_tigrisGOLD Member
10 posts

Posted:
I thought that as I got more experienced with poi I would hit myself less. How wrong I was. Got a good whack to the thigh today which is still tender. A few months ago was even better. I fully busted the myth that getting hit in the box doesn't hurt the womenfolk. How wrong I was. I had to take a time out for a good five minutes after that venture.

But it's true. If you're not hitting yourself, you're not doing enough new moves. I'm up to around 14 right now. I want to get to the point whereby I can do a 360 BTB by the end of the summer.

People alter their lives by altering their attitudes

Page: