Forums > Help! > Can anyone suggest a good place to live..? (UK)

Login/Join to Participate

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Okay.. some of you know, not long back I got back to England after along trip overseas. I've not really got a job yet, I'm back with my parents temporarily, living in their house and working over the Easter holidays for them.

Last night, however, they dropped a bit of a bombshell- after building up a small zoo from scratch, and running it for the last 17 years, they've decided to sell the zoo, rent out the house, and go travelling. So.. I suddenly don't have as long as I thought to get a place of my own.

So.. in short, I need to find a new place to live, somewhere I can find a cheap room, and I can get a job.
The problem is, I've spent so little time in the UK over the past few years, except in this area (where there's virtually no work,and rents are waaaay out of my price range).. I really have no clue where to go.

I did try move to Manchester, but it sorta didn't work out.
I did meet some very nice people there, but.. I'm sorry.. I don't really like the city.. it's somehow just not really me.

So.. I was just wondering if anyone knows a place that's got a good job market, and affordable rent (and is a good place to live!) ?

I'm open to all suggestions/ideas.. I'm not so fussed about getting a really well paid/exciting job if the area is great- so long as I'd stand a chance at getting *something* to pay the rent.

I did think maybe Bristol- but I've only been there twice, and I both times were some time ago. Is there anyone who could possibly give me any advice as to whether that's a good idea, I really would appreciate it. smile

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

jemima (jem)SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
1,750 posts

Posted:
Ok, London has a zillion jobs, but it can expensive in general, although, you can be quite clever with how you spend...just don't get hypnotised by its money sapping capabilities.

You could try a house share, on the outskirts maybe?

What sort of jobs are you looking for?

Bristol, from what I have heard is cheaper to live in, not sure about the job market, but its very pretty. Lots of independent shops.

Never assume
Always Acknowledge

onewheeldaveGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
3,252 posts

Posted:
 Written by :hamamelis

Okay.. some of you know, not long back I got back to England after along trip overseas. I've not really got a job yet, I'm back with my parents temporarily, living in their house and working over the Easter holidays for them.

Last night, however, they dropped a bit of a bombshell- after building up a small zoo from scratch, and running it for the last 17 years, they've decided to sell the zoo, rent out the house, and go travelling. So.. I suddenly don't have as long as I thought to get a place of my own.

So.. in short, I need to find a new place to live,

Written by :hamamelis

I'm open to all suggestions/ideas.. I'm not so fussed about getting a really well paid/exciting job if the area is great- so long as I'd stand a chance at getting *something* to pay the rent.

Could you get hold of, say, a panda costume, then get yourself installed in the zoo before your parents sell it on?

(Or maybe a gorilla- any large mammal basically)

That'll give you a home and, while not exactly a job, you would be fulfilling a valuable role where the zoos concerned- and, it's got to be better than stacking shelves for a living smile

"You can't outrun Death forever.
But you can make the Bastard work for it."

--MAJOR KORGO KORGAR,
"Last of The Lancers"
AFC 32

Educate your self in the Hazards of Fire Breathing STAY SAFE!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
... are you certain that you wanna stay in the UK?

You got an aversion to cold climate, no job, your parents decide to take off, dunno how many friends you got in your area but it sounds as if they are not too many... To me that sounds like the perfect moment for a new start somewhere else. The Oztrailians might be in desperate need of some sanity wink

Not trying to dis- or encourage you, just asking.

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

polaritySILVER Member
veteran
1,228 posts

Posted:
Well I'm going to pimp my hometown of Malvern.

Why?

There's plenty of 20/30 somethings around here who kind of bimble between the various colleges/shift work/casual jobs/benefits offices without too many problems with the rent, and both the town and the neighboring city of Worcester have plenty of small flats/shared houses (The 'University' is so small there aren't enough students to take them all).

It's dead handy if you want to get anywhere else in the country on a budget, as it has plenty of stations and is just up the train line from Birmingham, and is also right next to the M5.

There's all kinds of work available, from bar/waiter stuff in the touristy places, fruit picking in the summer over the hill in Hereford, office stuff and warehouse work (for quick easy money in the short term) can be had pretty much within a week through the agencies.

Music scene is pretty good here if you like small bands/punk/folk/acoustic, and there's a fair few older hippys around (I spend all summer working with them at festivals).

Shopping can offer a bit of everything, with Birmingham to the north , Cheltenham to the south-east with it's really posh/designer shops, ethnic stuff in Malvern and Worcester, and lots of little market towns like Ledbury and Pershore around the place too.

The best bit is it's almost summer, and this place is just amazing for lazy summer days.

You aren't thinking or really existing unless you're willing to risk even your own sanity in the judgment of your existence.

Green peppers, lime pickle and whole-grain mustard = best sandwich filling.

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
I would say Bristol as well, but i'm pretty biased. Although we've recently had Drew and Hels Bels come to the city and they both love it.

I would suggest going back to Bristol for a day trip and have another look around. It's going through some pretty major rejuvenation at the moment so is probably nothing like you remember it.

Bristol is very laid back, has a fantastic music scene, wicked pubs especially for real ale and cider drinkers, top notch footy tem if you like teams that play in blue and white wink and some of the best spinners in the country and also the best fire troupe wink

Like i said i'm biased.

Don't know about the rental market for house sharing although i think a going rate might be about £250 a month??

The only bad point which Drew and i could find in discussions last week was that the traffic and public transport within Bristol sucks. The buses are ok but very expensive, however if you own a bike and can ride up hills then that's the way to go!

Edit: if you're prepared to work, there is plenty available.
EDITED_BY: Gayle......! (1207041816)

Gayle.....!

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Thanks people!
Tom, I think I will be leaving the UK in the future, but I *really* need to get some money together before I try that!

And I'm scared of London redface .. I really feel like the country lass come to look at t'smoke, and I feel a strange urge to say hello to everyone who passes..

I'll see if I can get down to Bristol some point soonish, to have a nose around- I'm just trying to figure out a short list before I spend my whole rent on coach fares going up and down the country biggrin
And I want to go somewhere with a good spinny scene.. I'm fed up of being the only spinner in the village.

Oh, and Dave. nice idea, but the only suit I have to hand is a 6 foot squirrel. And I don't think anyone would be fooled.

If that's okay with you?

Pink...?BRONZE Member
Mistress of Pink...Multicoloured
6,140 posts

Posted:
Bristol kicks arse.

I used to live there, and everyone is so nice. The houses aren't the cheapest, but you can usually find something for a reasonable amount. But the pay is proportionally higher, so you only really have that first month or two until you find a job that is hard.

Also I think depends what your career is, to where you should move? Some cities have better job prospects for different careers.

Never pick up a duck in a dungeon...

LazyAngelGOLD Member
Carpal \'Tunnel
2,895 posts

Posted:
you could always try Cambridge.. (honestly, I'd day Bristol as well, but I'm trying to stick in some alternatives) It's a bit on the expensive side, but we have a nicely growing spinning scene here, plus its only 45 mins on the train to London if you want to go and visit/party

Because ActiveAngel sounds like a feminine deodorant

Like sex, I'm much more interesting in real life than online.

'Be the change you want to see in the world around you' - Ghandi

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I don't really have a career as such.. I've got experience of working in a zoo, but, well, as my parents ran the place I've worked at most, and I've been out the country a lot, I never bothered to take any relevant qualifications, which I probably should have.

I guess I'm looking at shop work, or something totally different, if I can't get another job at a zoo (and yes,I have applied for a job at Bristol zoo, but I'm unfortunately pretty sure I won't get it frown )

If that's okay with you?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
from what you've said, looks like your looking at somewhere down south

but unfortunately that makes everything more expensive

if your just looking for standard work, then dont think there will be a great deal of difference between potential places

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

animatEdBRONZE Member
1 + 1 = 3
3,540 posts

Posted:
Yay Brizzle!!

Gayle, your Spiel of bristol selling was pretty much just what I needed right now smile

I'm wanting to move to Bristol as well, but I always get cold feet! I have the form here to apply for housing... I think I'll send it off today smile

Bicycle it is!! And don't forget the international airport which puts most of europe a few hours away, and the Circus Schools as well... London is only a couple hours away... as is Cornwall, and the travel links back up to the north are pretty good... and Wales just around the corner...

Brizzle for the win!

Empty your mind. Be formless, Shapeless, like Water.
Put Water into a cup, it becomes the cup, put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Water can flow, or it can Crash.
Be Water My Friend.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
I can't ride a bicycle.. should get a unicycle. biggrin

Well.. I've sent off a few job application forms for various zoos, and if none of 'em get back to me, I'll be down in Bristol in about a week, possibly 2, at least to try out!
*bounce*

If that's okay with you?

Gayle......!SILVER Member
Pooh-Bah
2,444 posts

Posted:
Bristol rocks! biggrin

but, then i've been telling people that for years wink

Gayle.....!

newgabeSILVER Member
what goes around comes around. unless you're into stalls.
4,030 posts

Posted:
I always get confused when people say Brizzle. Cos I live in Brissie. And get confused easily. And am old and my eyesight is getting crap. Hey TOm,

Written by :FireTom

The Oztrailians might be in desperate need of some sanity wink

Hazel just got BACK form Oz therefore has used up her lovely scrummy one year working visa (with possible extension for fruit picking)

If she wants to come back to livw she'll need loadsa money or a damn fine job of some sort. Which I hope both come to her cos she's nice. ubbrollsmile A bit shy but very funny and nice. SO ya'll look after her if she turns up in your world, OK hug

.....Can't juggle balls but I sure as hell can juggle details....

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Or a rich Ozzie trophy husband.. You missed an option biggrin

If that's okay with you?

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
*pimps brenn*

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
I certainnly will, if she can keep up with my talent to hit everyone on the forehead, without remotely intending to... rolleyes

Hazel I remember when I stayed in Brizzie and met this guy from the UK: he worked in Oz for that usual year, extended his visa, did some WWOOFing and when he finally had to return he applied for an immigration visa, got lucky and found himself back to Oz within no time and a residency...

Point being is that he was living his dream and not dreamt his life.

Maybe not everything - but there is a great deal more possible than we usually dare to imagine at this point.

This is why I've been asking "what do you *really* want right now"? As "in the future" may never happen.

You certainly can dream on - sometimes it's even better to never have ones own dreams fullfilled... It's up to you, just you and only you. Because that is the only thing that your life really is about: you.

hug

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Actually, I'd rather emigrate to NZ than Oz.. (Not that Australia isn't great) but I owe rather a lot of money, and I really want to save before I try, because getting stranded on the other side of the planet with no work visa and no money isn't much fun- I've tried it, I should know.

I have one or two cunning plans, but at this point dropping everything and just going is not a good plan. For a start, I can't even afford the air fare wink

Anyway.. *cough* back to Bristol!
2 more weeks, then I should have enough to rent out a room for a month or so, and see what happens smile

If that's okay with you?