Forums > Social Discussion > Circus sisters escape piranha & snake acts in Italy

Login/Join to Participate

Dragon_Drafinmember
51 posts

Posted:
Just goes to show that there are horrible people all over the world. What scares me more than the treatment of the people is that there were how many shows in the years that they had been in captivity and only now there is a complaint to the police????

To quote a good movie (Boondock Saints)

We must all fear evil men, but there is different kind of evil that we must fear most of all. And that is the indeifference of good men.

Okay paraphrased not quoted but darn close.

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
Most people would assume a scared looking circus performer was just faking fear.. not trying to imply this isn't a pretty sick situation.. but I can understand why people wouldn't report it.

Though I must admit I'm a bit confused as to how you could even *keep* piranhas in a tank 'just above freezing' as they're Amazon fish- they shouldn't be able to survive that..

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

Dragon_Drafinmember
51 posts

Posted:
Fish are quite resiliant. They swim around in lakes and ponds that are frozen over several inches thick. Though you do have to wonder how long it took them to get aclimitised to their new environment .

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
Dunno 'bout Piranhas, but snakes are kept cold as it diminishes their agility and aggressiveness.

"Good" ppl are not necessarily "aware" ppl.

Only if both meets, "good action" derives.

But me asks: Why did they themselves keep up with this handling?
EDITED_BY: FireTom (1206592862)

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Rouge DragonBRONZE Member
Insert Champagne Here
13,215 posts

Posted:
As in why did the girls continue to let it happen?

Illegal immigrants?
Trying to escape their life back in Bulgaria?
Why do so many victims of human trafficking not stand up for themselves?
Fear?
Scared that the authorities wouldn't listen to them and they'd send them back to the man who was holding them?
etc etc

i would have changed ***** to phallus, and claire to petey Petey

Rougie: but that's what I'm doing here
Arnwyn: what letting me adjust myself in your room?..don't you dare quote that on HoP...

hamamelisBRONZE Member
nut.
756 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Dragon_Drafin

Fish are quite resiliant. They swim around in lakes and ponds that are frozen over several inches thick. Though you do have to wonder how long it took them to get aclimitised to their new environment .

Amazon fish don't. It would never get cold in their natural environment, so they have no adaptations to deal with it.
I've never kept piranha (which are actually not really dangerous unless they're a) extremely hungry or b) out the water and panicking) but I have kept some closely related species and they stop feeding when the temperature goes below about 20 degrees C.
'Just above freezing' would be way over the top. In fact, the more I think about this, the weirder it sounds.

Oh, and snakes aren't normally 'kept cold' as this is a really good way to kill 'em too- they'll sometimes do it with snakes used in (for example) music videos- or will actually dope them, as this is less risky than chilling a large snake- they take so long to warm up again that they'll die if you do it as anything more than a very very occasional thing.
One park not far away from us does reptile handling sessions in winter outside, and has killed several large pythons and boas doing it. And yes- we have complained, (as has at least one of their staff who quit in disgust) but the local council refuses to do anything.

We've lost a few reptiles in power cuts- and even one single night in the wrong place on a cold night will often kill them (my parents own a zoo, and I've been keeping pet fish since I was 11, if anyone doesn't know)- don't let the 'cold blooded' name fool ya!

THE MEEK WILL INHERIT THE EARTH!

If that's okay with you?

ChellySILVER Member
Niraffe
884 posts

Posted:
It's the fact that they're "cold blooded" that would kill them in the cold. They're not able to generate/control their own body heat, which is why they need warm temperatures to survive...it's only "warm blooded" creatures that can do that....

"Lots of beeping. And shaking and tinfoil." Chelly

"Are you sure it's a genuine test and not a robot heroin addict?" Cantus

---set free by the rather lovely FireTom---
--(right arm owned by Fyre)--

la_genieBRONZE Member
73 posts

Posted:
 Written by :Rouge Dragon

As in why did the girls continue to let it happen?

Illegal immigrants?
Trying to escape their life back in Bulgaria?
Why do so many victims of human trafficking not stand up for themselves?
Fear?
Scared that the authorities wouldn't listen to them and they'd send them back to the man who was holding them?
etc etc

Where i live very near the Mexican and American border there is a HUGE problem with illegal immigrants, they pay large sums of money to be smuggled in to America but often they are held captive and for a "ransom". If their famley can not pay more they are sold as slaves. Some do try to escape and many die trying either by the hands of the Coyotes(what we call the human smugglers) or by exposure in the desert. In the last month about 1000 illegals have been discovered in drop houses. (where the illegals are kept in horrible conditions , no food or water. Sometimes no sanitation, heat or cooling. These are in everyday neighborhoods.)
Fear is, to my understanding from the interviews given by these "rescued" illegals, and sometimes being handcuffed or tied to make escape impossible are the main reasons these people allow this to happen. That and they don't want to go back where they came from.
gosh i do go on don't i lol

Be aware, the evil flowers may eat your toes....
Have no friends not equal to yourself...
Feed your mind, read a book

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
thanks for the correction Hazel smile Snakes hibernate when it's cool, they don't feed as much and the physical activity gets low...

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink