ATM4UBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
Hi I am new to poi. I mean BRAND new, and I had a few quistions about the Rainbow LED POI set with nylon cords sold on this site. First with the mention of rainbow does that mean they change colors or are all different colors or what? And second are they dourable in refrence to contact with the ground and eachother? Should I invest in the DVD or learn through the libary? If I could get any of these answered that would be great thanks!

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Hey hey - welcome to HoP smile

~ The rainbow poi change colour whilst you spin them
~ They're pretty durable, as long as you treat them well. Speed is not the answer for when spinning poi, slower - more control smile
~ DVD...hmm, personally I'd say "No". Scales of Poi and Encylopoidia are more intermeditate->advanced stuff and most of it will go over your head, though there's certainly stuff you can learn on both of them. For starting out though, the lessons here on HoP are more than adequate especially for complete beginners smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

jo_rhymesSILVER Member
Momma Bear
4,525 posts

Posted:
hi ATM4U, I agree with Durbs.

If you are brand new to poi, I suggest coming along to some meets, you will learn alot from other spinners hug

Hoppers are angels who lift us to our feet when our wings have trouble remembering how to fly.

ATM4UBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
I would love to do that, however I cant seem to find any meets on the west coast.

georgemcBRONZE Member
Sitting down facing forward . . .
2,387 posts

Posted:
For the DVD, Durbs, you forgot about the Art of Poi & COL2 DVD. We specifically developed it for the total beginner. Many of the Library lessons are derived from AOP in fact but are lower resolution and smaller size.

Many people find the AOP an excellent investment when starting out and especially find the COL2 section inspirational and educational as well - kind of a "bonus".

But bear in mind that I work here! biggrin
Don't take my word for it though - take a look at the many reviews there are for it.

For meeting others, take a look in the Meet Others database section and/or in the Community area under International - either the Meet Others section there or the Events, Performances and Gatherings.

Good luck with your spinning progress! weavesmiley

Written by: Doc Lightning talking about Marmite in Kichi's Intro thread

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

ATM4UBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
Also one more quiestion, are the lights synchronized in time?

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
due to tolerance differences in the manufacturing process they tend to be different but you can resynchronise them by tapping the switch units together (sharply, but carefully, so as not to break them!). They typically stay synchronised for about a minute before the drift apart becomes noticeable.

I have several large jars of the stuff. I actually like it... a little. And don't tell anyone I admitted to it.
grin

ATM4UBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
Is there a more in depth way of explaining how to do that? please and thank you!

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
well, I generally hold them such that my thumb and forefinger on each hand make a circle around the switch and then whack my 2 hands together. Alternatively you can just whack the 2 balls together just as long as you don't smash them so hard the switches break on each other.
I use the term "whack together" loosely - it's somewhere between a tap and a firm knock. Try it and you'll see. Oh but some of the older version balls don't do this so don't smash harder and harder trying to do it if the balls are older than around 1 year!

grin

ATM4UBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
so if i inderstand right i turn them on, hold one in each hand and smack then togeather untill the colors match up?

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
pretty much - just start the smacking gently and work up!
Also you have to do it with the switch units aligned to each other - it doesn't work any old way.

grin

ATM4UBRONZE Member
9 posts

Posted:
so does this mean if they hit eachother or the ground they will become out of sync?

DurbsBRONZE Member
Classically British
5,689 posts

Posted:
Ahh - I had a look for Art of Poi but couldn't see it in the shop.
It's a great video - it's how I started! biggrin
"Over...under...out" (In cool Kiwi accent)

Sweet smile

Burner of Toast
Spinner of poi
Slacker of enormous magnitude

georgemcBRONZE Member
2,387 posts

Posted:
 Written by :ATM4U

so does this mean if they hit eachother or the ground they will become out of sync?

no - they might re-synch, but they won't un-synch.

grin