Forums > Technical Discussion > admittedly an incredibally dangerous idea...

Login/Join to Participate

fanged_angelBRONZE Member
poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
i was thinking maybe i could get some sort of chemical or glove type thing that i could apply to my fingers and when i rub it together it makes a spark or a flame. and to go with it a small pyrex ball with holes in it filled with fuel and covered with something that will get saturated and then not let more fuel through so that when i make the spark or whatever with my fingers i can ignite the ball, play with it juggling style (not that i can juggle) but then they can be thrown or dropped to make an exploding fireball thing.

an btw the firey fingers is just to look cool and serves no real purpose...

so let me know what you think, i know its a dangerous and stupid idea and i would never use them myself due to lack of ability but still im sure somebody out there would be able to put them to good use smile

PeleBRONZE Member
the henna lady
6,193 posts

Posted:
*head=> desk*

What would keep it from exploding in your hand?

I'm agreeing with Rellizate
Fingers are a lovely addition to our bodies and I would suggest you trying to keep them wink

Pele
Higher, higher burning fire...making music like a choir
"Oooh look! A pub!" -exclaimed after recovering from a stupid fall
"And for the decadence of art, nothing beats a roaring fire." -TMK

splinterificGOLD Member
enthusiast
248 posts

Posted:
i read this last night and went off to think about it to see if i could find a suitable safe solution... there isnt one... unless you use a small bright LED and do it with Light instead of fire smile

*HyperLightBRONZE Member
old hand
1,174 posts

Posted:
That sounds like a job for... ! wink

Cake or Death?

simtaBRONZE Member
compfuzzled
1,182 posts

Posted:
 Written by: *HyperLight

That sounds like a job for... ! wink

somebody with more time on their hands than you wink

"the geeks have got you" - Gayle

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Or, you could just use those thumb digi-light things. I can't remember what they're called now! You know, the fake thumbs that look like you are holding a light in your hand, that you can switch on and off...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

ElectricBlueGOLD Member
Now with extra strawberries
810 posts

Posted:
d'lites
yup those things are cool, with a bit of practice you can make them look absolutly amazing

I {Heart} hand me downs and spinning in the snow.<br /><br />

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
ubblol hope you will keep fingers and hands to spend time on.

It's not that it can't be done, it's more about:

- do you have the financial means to develop something 'safe'?
- do you have the technical knowledge to develop a 'safe' application?
- do you have the experience to keep this a 'safe' application (and development process)?
- are you willing to dedicate enough time to the project to keep it 'safe'?

I had friends experimenting with highly 'reactive' stuff. The only reason why they still got hands to shake is because they didn't use 'enough' of it and the only reason why one of them still recognizes me is because he wore glasses at the time it went off.

It's like with all science: do the benefits really justify the means and risks?

*spares further, pungent remarks about the similarity of explosive devices and firebreathing, the quest of people to gather informations about such topics and the kind of different response they receive on this bb* wink *goes into hiding*

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
as far as stopping it exploding in my hand well that shouldnt happen cos poi heads dont and this is essentially a fire juggling ball with a resevoir. with it ony being the vapours that ignite only the surface will burn (insert excessively long explanation about surface area to volume ratios)
but yer it should be safe its just like contat juggling molotov cocktails biggrin what could go wrong. an btw i changed my original design so it IS a juggling ball with a resevoir, wont explode when i throw it but should still cause a ignitable splat when it hits something hard, now just an issue of maing it springy so it reeturns to its original shape

but money, time knowledge amd experience are all stuff that i dont have so i wont be working on it any time soon but keep the ideas and criticisms coming theyre very appreciated

and to the people here more experienced in the construction of led poi how faesable is the idea of having a led inside a jelly like casing (like the eyeballs and stuff kids play with) so they can be thrown against a wall and make a nice splatter pattern would the light travel through the jelly stuff well enough or is this just a waste of time?

pricklyleafSILVER Member
with added berries
1,365 posts

Posted:
Um... you sound like you might be heading for a Darwin award if you try this...

Live like there is no tomorrow,
dance like nobody is watching
and hula hoop like wiggling will save the world.

“What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.”

Ralph Waldo Emerson

poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
"its only funny until somebody gets hurt then its censored hilarious"

dont worry folks im not going to try it out unless i can get my hands on some sort of remote release and ignition contraption (a long grabby stick and a match on a pole smile)

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Well the world is over populated...

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
...well doesnt that just make me feel loved ubbcrying

ubbrollsmile

SkulduggeryGOLD Member
Pirate Pixie Crew Captain
8,428 posts

Posted:
Well hun, you asked for opinions and people gave them to you letting you know that they think it's all a bad idea and you just brushed them off. If people can't help you see the madness of your plan then I think we have to look for any good in a bad situation that we can.

I'd prefer that you not try this, but if you are determined then I'm going to try and put a good spin on the end result.

shrug

Feed me Chocolate!!! Feed me NOW!

Fire_MooseSILVER Member
Elusive and Bearded
3,597 posts

Posted:
And get it on film smile

O.B.E.S.E.

Owned by Mynci!

FireTomStargazer
6,650 posts

Posted:
and take care that the footage gets released on YouTube any which way... Darwin Award or not.

If you succeed you're a hero, if you fail you're still acting as an example.

However, if you try this, please make sure it's happening on a big open field, use a zoom lens to film it (maybe even invite Mythbusters... or what is this other show in MTV called?)

Best of luck

the best smiles are the ones you lead to wink

Loki_the_tricksterSILVER Member
Has sharp edges
1,266 posts

Posted:
 Written by :FireTom

or what is this other show in MTV called?

Pretty sure you mean Jackass wink

My ADD makes it so that.....Ooooo SHINY.....wanna go ride bikes....wait....where am I.....

poiromaniac
162 posts

Posted:
yer i was going to go with jackass but didnt want to put my foot in it footinmouth